Starter gun for 12/13 year old ..... O/U 410?

Keith RW

I personally would steer away from a .410 on the basis that the small shot load could possibly lose their confidence due to the more accuracy that is required for this calibre.

How about a 20 bore with a light load. I started one of my Grandsons on a 20 when he was 13 and he took to it quite well and with the confidence of some good shots at pigeon after having a lot of practice on clays.

Just my own humble opinion, but I'm sure others will give you more informed advice.

Bought my son a revo 28g. At the time they only done 20/410 with a short stock. Cut it down to around 12 1/2 inch. When he grows into a full gun I will buy him one and sell the revo on for a sensible price. There will always be a market for 28's with a cut down stock for children / ladies.

I personally would steer away from a .410 on the basis that the small shot load could possibly lose their confidence due to the more accuracy that is required for this calibre.

How about a 20 bore with a light load. I started one of my Grandsons on a 20 when he was 13 and he took to it quite well and with the confidence of some good shots at pigeon after having a lot of practice on clays.

Just my own humble opinion, but I'm sure others will give you more informed advice.

I would agree with this. A 410 should almost be regarded either as an expert's gun, or as a hedgerow bimble gun. For a beginner (of any age/size), it is not ideal.