Cambridgeshire Field Sports Association

Moors Man

Hello Chaps,

I'm the field officer for the CFSA.

Yes, it's an old pigeon shooting association in the process of revitalizing itself with new blood, new land and new opportunities. We've currently got two washes for wildfowling - soon to be three (if not five) and 1700-1800 acres of pigeon / rabbit / vermin shooting - again, soon to be more. We also have access to various other kinds of discounted opportunities through club members - if you ask, we can probably arrange it. Membership is £100 per year (juniors £26), with a one-time joining fee of £30 and includes your BASC membership as part of the price.

We also do one-time shooting arrangements for local landowners which are in addition to our regular permissions, so you can expect to get asked to "go here, shoot crows" for example - whether you do is up to you, but obviously the more we do, the more likely the landowners are to think good things about us and the more shooting we get offered. In the last week or so, three or four of us have shot 80-90 birds plaguing a cattle farm (eating the feed, knocking over the barley, etc.) and made the landowner very happy indeed. We'll probably get asked to go back next year, if not sooner.

The CFSA website is new (still under construction) and contains an online booking system and an online membership application form. We're working on receiving membership fee payments electronically too, but please bear with us as it's a huge project and we're going as fast as we can. You will see that in some places, a small quantity of the information is missing - we just haven't got round to writing those bits yet. If you sign up and are accepted into the club, you'll be able to access the booking system which has all the maps / permission slips / etc. for all of the land we've currently got. It also manages bag returns, where required, and you can register details of your vehicles etc. so that when you make a booking the landowner gets informed automatically - no more phoning up and trying to get hold of busy people on tractors.

Other than that, not much more to say. Membership is down as the club hasn't been good recently at shouting about what it's got to offer, but we're now working to change that and bring ourselves into the 21st century. Essentially, we do a lot of shooting on a lot of land and it's great. Like a wildfowling club, but with about 1800 acres of extra land, if you want to compare what your £130 buys you at the CFSA or elsewhere.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'll keep an eye on this thread over the next day or two.

Adam.

Edited by neutron619

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Ollie, this is right on my doorstep but I haven't found a single person locally that has joined yet (or even heard of the CFSA) :( I'm loath to spend £102 on something that is an unknown.

It sounds a fantastic opportunity but it's clearly in its infancy at this stage judging by the website, I was hoping to get a little more detail form the knowledgable chaps on here first. I will try a post in the main area perhaps?

Thanks P+P - I have had a good read through of the website and they were formed in 1971, but there is very little detail on the web, other than their own very limited website and the events calendar doesn't seem to work either. I was hoping to get some info from fellow PW members as they are only showing 73 members currently...?

I have PM'd a couple of PW guys so will see what that brings back :)

If the website is anything to go by, it sounds like my ideal club with lots of other activities going on including land management, gun dog training etc.

We have a similar club in Bedfordshire, well worth it and plenty of land to shoot on , now that I`m retired I get out 2-3 times a week , before I joined the club I was finding it hard to find somewhere to shoot even though I did a lot of beating on pheasant shoots , so I think its better to join a club :good:

We have a similar club in Bedfordshire, well worth it and plenty of land to shoot on , now that I`m retired I get out 2-3 times a week , before I joined the club I was finding it hard to find somewhere to shoot even though I did a lot of beating on pheasant shoots , so I think its better to join a club :good:

Have you got any details Duncan, i might be interested in that as well?

Thanks

AB