A Law unto themselves

tonker

Guest rimotu66

Question,

Are the roads of 2015 really suitable for cyclists, walkers, horse riders or those stupid electric cycles? In my opinion no they are not.

I have had 2 years without riding motorcycles on the road as I thought that todays roads are just to busy, I have returned this year with a 955i Sprint Triumph and am thinking that my original thoughts where correct in that there is just to much traffic nowadays to make 2 wheel transport sensible.

I also do believe that the majority of lycra clad cyclists have some kind of death wish judging by the way they go about there use of the public highway.

On the subject of willy waving I have rode motorcycles on the road since I was 16 in 1982, have also raced at club and national level for 9 years until injury and divorce stopped that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question,

Are the roads of 2015 really suitable for cyclists, walkers, horse riders or those stupid electric cycles? In my opinion no they are not.

I agree,the main reason apart from age that I wont ever have another motorcycle, though if the right 90s came along? and unlike on the continent we dont allow purposefully for cycles, the best efforts we make are to paint a broken line as a segregation and the first thing that happens is a car parks on it forcing you into the road, so until we do build cycle ways and physically separate, we live in hope that drivers allow for cyclists, but as seen here seems they would rather wave angrily and indignantly or even spray them with windscreen wash, how nice.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Nearly saw a motorcyclist knock own a cyclist crossing the road, inches away. Motorcyclist was raging punching his helmet after stopping dont blame him as the cyclist never looked. Only time I didnt have my dashcam on record.

Thing I hate is cyclists always moan about wanting upgrades on roads to suit cyclists well why dont they pay a tax like a vehicle to help pay for them?

Nearly saw a motorcyclist knock own a cyclist crossing the road, inches away. Motorcyclist was raging punching his helmet after stopping dont blame him as the cyclist never looked. Only time I didnt have my dashcam on record.

Thing I hate is cyclists always moan about wanting upgrades on roads to suit cyclists well why dont they pay a tax like a vehicle to help pay for them?

No problem with that at all, only thing is do we believe the road tax and the tax we pay on fuel and then the tax we pay on the tax that is on the fuel!!!actually goes on the roads?

KW

Question,

Those are fair points. I would be totally against any legislation to that effect, but as a 15 year old a mate and me used to cycle the 13 miles along the A66 to Penrith on a regular basis, but I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near a bike on that road nowadays, and I know two motorcyclists who will only ride on tracks claiming todays roads are far too dangerous for anything on two wheels. It's their decision.

No problem with that at all, only thing is do we believe the road tax and the tax we pay on fuel and then the tax we pay on the tax that is on the fuel!!!actually goes on the roads?

KW

Perhaps not directly but at least some of it goes to roads indirectly. Whereas cyclists pay absolutely zilch. You want cycle paths, well pay tax on your bike and perhaps some of it will go to cycle paths, until then stop whining ................. and stay out the way !.

I was under the impression that the old traffic signals (red/green only) were for guidance only but the new traffic signals (red/amber/green) were legal. You certainly don't see the old ones any more.

I may be wrong and am off topic but, what the Hell, who else cares?

Its a grey area and other posters have taken me to task over it but the facts as I understand it are these.

1) Nobody but the local council has the responsibility for traffic signals. If there was an accident at the roadworks the first thing the council would do is deny any responsibility for the temporary lights.thereby saying effectively they were not legally being operated.

This has happened on many occasions in the past so the case law has created a precident which can be used in court to get off any motorist (or cyclist) off a charge of not complying with them.

2) There are strict protocols and regulations that traffic planners have to follow when installing traffic lights, height, position in relation to the carriageway, line of sight etc and they vary according to whether its town or country etc.

Written traffic assessments and things of that sort have to be carried out. The usual BS

Virtually all temporary lights are too short and a single light stuck in front of a hole in the road is non compliant with practically all the relevent regs. So again rich pickings for the lawyers to get the motorist or cyclist off.

What I am NOT advocating is that we should treat these lights as things we could ignore. I was just lamenting the fact that d++kheads that ignore them have a get out of jail free card and we can only watch and shake our heads.

Also its the rich that can afford the lawyers to get them off, Mr Joe Average, struggling to pay the bills and keep a roof over his head is not going to engage a lawyer at £2000+ a day, he is going to plead guilty, get a £200 fine and three points on his license.

Edited by Vince Green

So what? they have a RIGHT to be on the road, the speed limit for the section they are on is a max not a min, that reasoned enough?

KW

Of course they have the RIGHT to be on the road - everyone does. But I think the point the OP was making, was not that cyclists shouldn't be there, but this particular group were being idiotic and selfish towards other road users. We have all seen car drivers, lorry drivers, white van drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists being completely inconsiderate and idiotic in the way they use the roads. It's a question of road-awareness on everyone's part. A lot of cycling clubs are very conscious of this fact and will tell their riders to make sure they are aware of the other road users. In rural areas, tractor drivers will often pull over and let the cars behind them pass. I have even seen caravan owners do the same .....

Of course they have the RIGHT to be on the road - everyone does. But I think the point the OP was making, was not that cyclists shouldn't be there, but this particular group were being idiotic and selfish towards other road users. We have all seen car drivers, lorry drivers, white van drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists being completely inconsiderate and idiotic in the way they use the roads. It's a question of road-awareness on everyone's part. A lot of cycling clubs are very conscious of this fact and will tell their riders to make sure they are aware of the other road users. In rural areas, tractor drivers will often pull over and let the cars behind them pass. I have even seen caravan owners do the same .....

BINGO :good: Nail on head, I should have let you write my post in the first place, You've a better way with words than me :)

• 2 weeks later...

&&0

On the subject of cycling 2 abreast, those who have been out in a large group will appreciate that stringing out in a long single line creates more danger and more frustration for drivers.

I wouldn't fancy riding in formation B. No escape routes, if anyone swerves to avoid something in the road everyone's down.

With the club I ride with if there's more than 6 of us we split into two smaller groups, move down to single file when anything is up behind us and treat the other traffic with the relevant amount of respect. When I'm out in the car at weekends it winds me up when there are groups of 15 plus 2 across dawdling along 15mph without making any effort to help get the cars etc past. After all the quicker the car or whatever get past the quicker you can get on with enjoying the time out.

On my driving job, mostly around Norwich, I see cyclists ignoring red lights every day I work. Some seem to be suicidal - nearly took one guy out at new cycle way which crosses a main road. I was clearly going through on green and he just avoided death! At same junction a cyclist nearly took out two young lasses (ok they were on their iPhones) but they had the right of way. He didn't. I was preparing my witness statement!

There is of course the reverse of this and a few weeks ago on our quiet narrow country lane I was doing the early morning dog walk when I heard some serious swearing behind me from a cyclist who had just had just passed a motorist who nearly took him out. He stopped and apologised but having recognised the car I told him this particular driver (sorry girls a lady driver) was a pain in the *** - she has had near misses with all the locals, she can't reverse, drives too fast and has '.... had words' with a number of us. SWMBO got out of her car and made this person reverse 50yds which, initially, she was refusing to do. It became obvious reversing was not part of her skill set!

I rode 12.8 miles last night before I gave up, in that time I had several cars overtake me and then cut into the cycle lane but this is normal in traffic. A bit further along whilst pacing at a steady 45kph a car pulled about a third of the way into the road offf a drive then paused, I braked gently intially thinking she had seen me and started to take a line to pass in front of her, then the car started moving again then stopped slap bang across the road. With no escape path behind or in front I had to brake in an arc to avoid hitting the car. It was touch and go and I stopped about 2 feet short of her door / window. Thank goodness for Ultegra braking performance.That all happened in the space of perhaps 3 seconds and reactions based on instinct, on a different day I might have dropped the bike in order to avoid the collision (have had to do that once before). She gave me a filthy look and pulled away slowly. Once the adrenaline subsided I chucked it in and went home - one of those days. On the way back home I had to take evasive measures on two separate occasions to avoid pedestrians who stepped out onto the road without looking in my direction.

The cutting in and pedestrians are normal run of the mill stuff that us pig ignorant cyclists experience on a daily basis and would not normally warrant mentioning. The car pulling out though was a potentially life altering scenario...

Everybody makes mistakes I know, mine was thinking the gusting wind was my biggest threat yesterday evening.

Amen brother! :yes:

At least you weren't involved in that pile up on Monday. ;)

I rode 12.8 miles last night before I gave up, in that time I had several cars overtake me and then cut into the cycle lane but this is normal in traffic. A bit further along whilst pacing at a steady 45kph a car pulled about a third of the way into the road offf a drive then paused, I braked gently intially thinking she had seen me and started to take a line to pass in front of her, then the car started moving again then stopped slap bang across the road. With no escape path behind or in front I had to brake in an arc to avoid hitting the car. It was touch and go and I stopped about 2 feet short of her door / window. Thank goodness for Ultegra braking performance.That all happened in the space of perhaps 3 seconds and reactions based on instinct, on a different day I might have dropped the bike in order to avoid the collision (have had to do that once before). She gave me a filthy look and pulled away slowly. Once the adrenaline subsided I chucked it in and went home - one of those days. On the way back home I had to take evasive measures on two separate occasions to avoid pedestrians who stepped out onto the road without looking in my direction.

The cutting in and pedestrians are normal run of the mill stuff that us pig ignorant cyclists experience on a daily basis and would not normally warrant mentioning. The car pulling out though was a potentially life altering scenario...

Everybody makes mistakes I know, mine was thinking the gusting wind was my biggest threat yesterday evening.

All cyclists should be made by law to fit an audible warning to their cycles to aid pedestrians, I'd suggest a playing card or similar attached to the front forks via a clothes peg that the spokes can hit to produce a whirring noise.

Edited to add - I have been informed by my son that the tone will change according to the cyclists speed.

How about pedestrians looking before they cross a road or cycle path?

Would you step out into a road without looking?

All cyclists should be made by law to fit an audible warning to their cycles to aid pedestrians, I'd suggest a playing card or similar attached to the front forks via a clothes peg that the spokes can hit to produce a whirring noise.

Edited to add - I have been informed by my son that the tone will change according to the cyclists speed.

Heard it all now...

Amen brother! :yes:

At least you weren't involved in that pile up on Monday. ;)

Thanks Penelope. All the gravel the local councils have laid out seems to be bedding in now so time to venture back into the country and avoid the more built up areas.

Hope you are doing good!?

I think this is an age thing, I smiled when I read this post because I can remember doing the same thing when I was a kid 50 odd years ago. We thought they sounded cool and like a motorbike.

I think younger riders now wouldn't know what you were on about, or they got sense of humour failure.

I think this is an age thing, I smiled when I read this post because I can remember doing the same thing when I was a kid 50 odd years ago. We thought they sounded cool and like a motorbike.

I think younger riders now wouldn't know what you were on about, or they got sense of humour failure.

It's cyclists that have no sense of humour. You take the trouble to pull out on them and send them over the bonnet and they just can't see the funny side to it. perhaps it's the angle of view :rolleyes:

:whistling:

Arriving at a junction I was faced with giving way to two JOGGERS, jogging side by side along the road, they were acting like a car and looking like a pair of cart ponies, I had right of way but they pressed on , I sounded my horn. I had to endure the torrent of abuse, which surprised me until I recognised the jogger, it was lycra man from round the corner. He has the same attitude jogging as he does cycling.........