TC and other long-netters

rabbit hunter

Hi TC I have a large flat field and the rabbits almost migrate accross it in the early evening. I have got a few with the airifle but was thinking a long net accross where they go to and then just run them into it from the far side. I have no lurchers could I just do it with myself being noisy and my spaniel or will they not be running fast enough when they hit the net to be stuck. How long do you have when they are stuck?

How much would one of these nets cost

Hi TC I have a large flat field and the rabbits almost migrate accross it in the early evening. I have got a few with the airifle but was thinking a long net accross where they go to and then just run them into it from the far side. I have no lurchers could I just do it with myself being noisy and my spaniel or will they not be running fast enough when they hit the net to be stuck. How long do you have when they are stuck?

How much would one of these nets cost

The amount of time you have to get the rabbits depends on how tangled they get.

You could do it during the day with your spaniel as you describe. Just run the net down the dyke where they want in, walk down the side of the field, and walk from behind the rabbits and drive them in. Its better if you had two people, then you could get either side of the field, each person holding end of string and drive them towards the net when the string hits them.

A long net will cost you

SHOP BOUGHT

4oz 25yard (38yards bagging) £21.50

4oz 50yard (75yards bagging) £38.50

4oz 100yard (150yards bagging) £57.50

6oz 25yard (38yards bagging) £25.00

6oz 50yard (75yards bagging) £46.50

6oz 100yard (150yards bagging) £69.50

..OFF TIERCEL

4oz - £1.00 a yard

6oz - £1.10 a yard

These come with end pins

I no I keep saying it TC, but i will buy one off ya soon.

If that dyke is easy to set some purse nets on, you could always cover all the holes with purse nets and back net the little *******. OR

(i am not sure how well this will work but it will cost you nothing)

Stick a load of mud down the holes at about arms length, blocking the hole, then when the rabbits run in, you can stick your hand in and pull em out <_<

Can you see the runs clearly? Cos if you can, i would go for snaring. well actually, i would ferret the sets in the morning.

Teal the senario you describe is how longnetting after dark works, you wait till most of the rabbits are well out in the field then set your net where they have come from. Then you go to the other side of the field and walk them back into the nets.A couple of tips for you here, the wind has to be blowing towards the net otherewise you wont catch a rabbit, and use a lamp that way you dont miss any rabbits, but dont shine the lamp on the net.

There is no need to use a dog it would confuse the dog and lead to possible running in.

All you need to do is shine the lamp on the rabbits and walk towards them they will bolt and run straight for home where the longnet is waiting.

As far as how long you can leave the rabbits in the net for, youll have no problems walking that field, and a few more, the rabbits will still be enmeshed when you get to the net.

RH was correct with the price of the nets. But did not say that a 50 yd net of mine has a 100yds of netting in it, opposed to 75yds in a shop bought one. With a shop bought net it comes as a bunch of netting with 2 drawcords wrapped around it.You have to rig the net and supply the end pins yourself and you end up with a net thats the same as Rabbit hunters, and will not work properly.My nets come ready to shoot from the box, you can just walk into a field, push an end pin in and away you go.