How accurate are PCPs?

wildfowler.250

So when I get bored and the weather is a bit naff I often resort to shooting videos on YouTube. I've noticed a lot of folk will regularly headshoot pigeons and crows at decent ranges.

I've had a weihrauch 77k for about 11 years and it does the job at sensible ranges but if I was asked to consistently headshot birds at 35 yards then I think I would struggle,(6x40 scope, free hand/against a tree).

So how accurate are these new PCP's? Are they 5p groups at long range if the shooter does their bit? In my head I would almost be inclined to go down the FAC route just to have a bit more leeway.

Interested to hear your views

They can out shoot you if you get a decent one I've got a s400 and its pellet on top of pellet. Supremely accurate to 30 yards haven't done anything beyond that as I use a rimfire

Edit after 6 years I finally finally got rid of my slot for a fac air and changed it to a 6mm, I never found a new se for it

Edited by Beretta28g

As with any rifle its down to:

Cosistancy

Practise

Rifle and ammo testing/matching

calibration

accurate range finding

Most PCP`s are more accurate than most shooters and more consitant.

Nothing wrong with your 77, maybe treat it to a service and tune (IMO Sandwell fieldsports are the best).

Some excellent groups can be had respectable ranges if the above is done !

ATB

Matt

All other criteria aside-the only real way to tell is to remove the action and clamp it to a steady heavy table or such like. You would then have to use the best, most consistet pellets that you can find-size them and then fire off, say, ten shots-you would then get a good idea of your guns capabilities. When you see accuracy tests on youtube and suchlike on The Airgungear Show etc they are a complete waste of time because you are injecting Human error into the equation-even a 10 shot one-hole group may be down to bad shooting if the gun is inaccurate but you just happen to be pointing the gun in the correct place when you pull the trigger. My S410 is easily capable of 10 shot one holers at 25 yards-shame is that I'm not :/

All other criteria aside-the only real way to tell is to remove the action and clamp it to a steady heavy table or such like. You would then have to use the best, most consistet pellets that you can find-size them and then fire off, say, ten shots-you would then get a good idea of your guns capabilities. When you see accuracy tests on youtube and suchlike on The Airgungear Show etc they are a complete waste of time because you are injecting Human error into the equation-even a 10 shot one-hole group may be down to bad shooting if the gun is inaccurate but you just happen to be pointing the gun in the correct place when you pull the trigger. My S410 is easily capable of 10 shot one holers at 25 yards-shame is that I'm not :/

Come on, given time and patience you can get one hole groups at 25 yards, just the diameter of the hole may be half an inch!

Normal field conditions how I normally shoot off sticks 1/2"- 3/4" group is easily achievable at 35 yards. Better shots than me can get tighter but that suits me for field use.

I restrict myself to 35yards due to this.

With my FAC air I push further as it hits a lot harder and you get more leeway on shot placement but sub 12 ft/lb 35yards is my limit and closer if possible.

In use a HW 97 and always head shoot my pigeonso there is no reason why your 77 should not do the same , tuning may help as may plenty of pactice .

A PCP is no more accurate than a decent spring gun , they are however easier to shoot accurately .

They are extremely accurate - mainly because there's no recoil so even an average shooter can become a marksman.

That's not to say that springers can't be accurate, because they can ..... but it takes a lot more work to achieve good results. :yes:

Cosistancy

Practise

calibration

accurate range finding

Nothing wrong with your 77, maybe treat it to a service and tune (IMO Sandwell fieldsports are the best).

ATB

Matt

I think Steve Pope of Vmach is a cut above SFS

Cheers for the replies! Was interesting reading. A PCP will probably be the next purchase when funds allow

In use a HW 97 and always head shoot my pigeonso there is no reason why your 77 should not do the same , tuning may help as may plenty of pactice .

A PCP is no more accurate than a decent spring gun , they are however easier to shoot accurately .

I probably could manage it. Always been if the opinion of aim small miss small. Just something I need to get my head around!

And here is the killer........

A 40 year old springer in .22 off the kids swing but this time at 25 metres. 3 shots this time

IMG_2531_zpsytspaylb.jpg

Edit to say...

Not a Wierhauch of any sort or a £69 Hatsan 900 (sorry SAMole) ................. It's a Feinwerkbau 127 sport break barrel which has tuning by Steve Pope of V mach

Edited by malkiserow

So when I get bored and the weather is a bit naff I often resort to shooting videos on YouTube. I've noticed a lot of folk will regularly headshoot pigeons and crows at decent ranges.

I've had a weihrauch 77k for about 11 years and it does the job at sensible ranges but if I was asked to consistently headshot birds at 35 yards then I think I would struggle,(6x40 scope, free hand/against a tree).

So how accurate are these new PCP's? Are they 5p groups at long range if the shooter does their bit? In my head I would almost be inclined to go down the FAC route just to have a bit more leeway.

Interested to hear your views

Cosistancy

Practise

calibration

accurate range finding

ATB

Matt

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/315170-hw-77k-back-from-sandwell-field-sports/

Here you go a recent review of SFS work on your exact model rifle !

Also check out on youtube verminhunters TV .