How accurate are PCPs?

wildfowler.250

And here is the killer........

A 40 year old springer in .22 off the kids swing but this time at 25 metres. 3 shots this time

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=2380f592ca796a8756fbedcfba6a793b&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=mqquote&t=315136,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,pEyu3SAIueU');//]]></script> IMG_2531_zpsytspaylb.jpg&&0

Edit to say...

Not a Wierhauch of any sort or a £69 Hatsan 900 (sorry SAMole) ................. It's a Feinwerkbau 127 sport break barrel which has tuning by Steve Pope of V mach

come on you guys,,stop dreaming,, cos you know a spring bouncy rifle is not as accurate as a DAYSTATE PCP,,,

:whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling::whistling::whistling:

well except fenboys anyway

:lol::lol: :lol:

Living the dream Evo, living the dream :good:

I must confess I stopped at 3 as I did not think I'd get 5 in that hole and it was a nice group for a hunting .22 springer

come on you guys,,stop dreaming,, cos you know a spring bouncy rifle is not as accurate as a DAYSTATE PCP,,,

:whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling::whistling::whistling:

well except fenboys anyway

:lol::lol: :lol:

Very true Evo.

You are still more likely to get that 35 yard rabbit with a springer though becaue the springer shooter will be firing while the Daystate owner is checking battery charge or replacing "O" rings or waiting 3 weeks to get his rifle back! :lol::lol::lol:

Living the dream Evo, living the dream :good:

I must confess I stopped at 3 as I did not think I'd get 5 in that hole and it was a nice group for a hunting .22 springer

have to admit bud it was a cracking 3 shot group,,,, all credit where its deserved

Very true Evo.

You are still more likely to get that 35 yard rabbit with a springer though becaue the springer shooter will be firing while the Daystate owner is checking battery charge or replacing "O" rings or waiting 3 weeks to get his rifle back! :lol::lol::lol:

always check mine before I leave the hooouse timmy lad

I was a springer fan for a long time, but when i got my PCP Webley venom viper, it was eye opening when I'm shooting well with it with its favorite pellets its accuracy and consistency out to longer air rifle ranges ( sub 12 ) is really amazing to me coming from shooting lots of springers before.

I was a springer fan for a long time, but when i got my PCP Webley venom viper, it was eye opening when I'm shooting well with it with its favorite pellets its accuracy and consistency out to longer air rifle ranges ( sub 12 ) is really amazing to me coming from shooting lots of springers before.

its a shame some of the springer boys cant admit how effortless a pcp is like yourself sir, when I had a hw80 although a bitt long and heavy it really was a cracking rifle and very accurate too, was it as accurate as what I,m using today ??? probably out to 30yrds but after that then you could forget it, people whom slate PCP,s and by that I mean ANY PCP,s are living in the past,

the accuracy of these new rifles is just unreal, before getting my airwolf mct ( yes its electronic ) I would not dream of shooting a bunnie past 40 yrds,, I now am getting just the same groups out to 55yrds and I will take bunnies out to that distance, I would only dream about them distances before,

I know its down to the shooter but these air rifles being built today are a totally different ball game,, at 60yrds I will consistently hit a 2p size target and without any effort yet I could never do that with the hw80, not in a million years,

mind you I bet UD could no problem, even with his eyes shut :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I don't deny that a PCP is generally easier to be accurate with particularly in the hands of a novice. I use an S200 for walk around shooting or from the car, shooting from different positions it is easier to ensure I hit the killzone. However, when I'm hide or static shooting I use a well fettled and very smooth Prosport, seated and using sticks it will match the S200, the limitation is my rangefinding or allowance for wind, nothing to do with the accuracy of the rifle.

On paper at 35 yards there is nothing between them. Both will take quarry at ranges that I'm happy with. Yes I enjoy the PCP for its ease of use but good skill with a springer is more rewarding.

its a shame some of the springer boys cant admit how effortless a pcp is like yourself sir, when I had a hw80 although a bitt long and heavy it really was a cracking rifle and very accurate too, was it as accurate as what I,m using today ??? probably out to 30yrds but after that then you could forget it, people whom slate PCP,s and by that I mean ANY PCP,s are living in the past,

the accuracy of these new rifles is just unreal, before getting my airwolf mct ( yes its electronic ) I would not dream of shooting a bunnie past 40 yrds,, I now am getting just the same groups out to 55yrds and I will take bunnies out to that distance, I would only dream about them distances before,

I know its down to the shooter but these air rifles being built today are a totally different ball game,, at 60yrds I will consistently hit a 2p size target and without any effort yet I could never do that with the hw80, not in a million years,

mind you I bet UD could no problem, even with his eyes shut :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

I can pick up the PCP after 3 months in the cupboard and head shoot a pigeon at 45 yards as long as the gun has plenty of air in it and i have a tin or pellets to hand, i never had that with shooting springer, granted the accuracy was there it was possible but i had to practice to get it i have not shot my bsa mercury in over 6 months and i imagine i would be getting inch groups if i just picked it up now and had a go, the best i did with it was 20 p sized groups at 30 and 10p groups at 45. I Just don't find myself with the skill to pick up a springer and shoot accurately nor the time to practice.

That being said i don't have a modern spring air gun; but my BSA mercury is the smoothest springer i ever shot it would take something really impressively smooth to convince me it is the gun not me.

Edit to add, like choosing a percussion gun over a breech loader i feel like i get more out of shooting with a springer because i know i have worked for it if that makes any sense.

Edited by demonwolf444

How accurate are PCP's? - only as accurate as the shooters skills allow it to be however good the rifle is.

Being fair most PCP's are very accurate simply because they have no recoil to alter the POI of the pellet from the shortest range to their longest. I tend to shoot at 40 meters (HW100FSB KT / Daystate Regal) and mostly manage hole on hole and sometimes the odd 'flyer' appears. That said I can do the same most times with my new Wather LGU springer .22. Does that indicate that its the shooter's skill, or lack of, and not the rifle type or its cost/quality/pellet type to blame for inaccuracy?

For instance I regularly see a very pleasant guy with a high end rifle who can only manage tight groups because he always uses a rock steady steel zeroing rest every time he shoots. Shooting without his stand it is not good at all. I admit that he enjoys what he does though and that is thye name of the game. FUN.

So, in my eyes it is only when the shooter can achieve tight groups at longer distances with minimal support for the rifle, definitely not using a zeroing stand, that I acknowledge them being 'skilled shooters'. Softer cushions are exempt because they are not a rigid unmoving support and I use one too sometimes.

Was I too critical in my personal opinion?

And off hand!

From his lowered saxo shooting at ducks :-)

• 3 years later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 09:00, Mentalmac said:

And off hand!

From his lowered saxo shooting at ducks :-)

Well said fella, the truth and nothing but the truth. Maximum I go to with any springer was and remains to be 40m, and that has to be on a calm windless day! PCP's I dare go to 75m on the target range but limit it to 45 on a hunt and yet again it has to be a calm and windless day. I firmly believe in 1 shot = 1 kill and NO injuries. There are no excuses at all for injuries. Any injuries the blame is with the shooter AS IT ALWAYS IS.

21 minutes ago, jantar said:

Well said fella, the truth and nothing but the truth. Maximum I go to with any springer was and remains to be 40m, and that has to be on a calm windless day! PCP's I dare go to 75m on the target range but limit it to 45 on a hunt and yet again it has to be a calm and windless day. I firmly believe in 1 shot = 1 kill and NO injuries. There are no excuses at all for injuries. Any injuries the blame is with the shooter AS IT ALWAYS IS.

Three year old post, but I'll bite.

Incorrect. Accidents happen. Regrettable but occasionally unavoidable. With hunting live quarry you can never be completely sure that your target won't move at the wrong moment. It isn't the fault of the shooter, it's just bad luck. You could wait for twenty minutes and think your rabbit is perfectly resting and the shot is unmissable. you pull the trigger at the exact moment it moves - lifts its head or shifts position. You've done everything you can to ensure a clean kill and, had the rabbit not moved, it'd have been ideal. And the greater the range, the more likely that is to happen, so I agree with your assessment of range, but to say every injury is the fault of the shooter is to ignore the realities of shooting live quarry. It's not a nice reality, but a reality nonetheless

Edited by chrisjpainter

Ok - I know it's not a PCP, it's not a rifle and it's only 10 metres  but here's a little pellet test I carried out with my 20 year old CO2 Walther pistol. The four lower groups are all 5 shot in the order of the pellet tins, the top group is 8 shots, two from each tin. - They were shot with the pistol clamped in position. I now know all those flyers out into the 7 ring are me, not the pistol or the pellet.

Ashampoo_Snap_13 August 2018_18h09m31s_001_.png

Well said Chris. The quarry moving , and cross winds that cannot be even noticed, and 'hidden ground' between the shooter and the target . That is reality in the field!

A rabbits head at 75 yards, is only the size of a 5p or smaller when viewed through a scope , unless the mag is very high , and if it is the shooters heartbeat will make the 

cross hairs move over the target. 'Head shoot a pigeon at 45yds' , I cant do that with a 12g !

On 24/06/2015 at 16:07, fenboy said:

In use a HW 97 and always head shoot my pigeonso there is no reason why your 77 should not do the same , tuning may help as may plenty of pactice .

A PCP is no more accurate than a decent spring gun , they are however easier to shoot accurately .

This. 

My ultra and 97k are both more accurate than me. I get better results from the ultra as the pcp is easier to be accurate with. 

Still prefer the 97k though. 

I find most  springers are more accurate and consistent than the shooter. A pcp more so and is boringly accurate and consistent these days. So much so that at 35 metres (measured) with little effort you can do a thumb nail group of 10 rounds ( as a mate who hasnt shot for years demonstrated this weekend) Rested it's good to 55 metres easy (not tried further). 

My Springer 99s or 77 could only dream of that and They are pretty much as good as it gets. 

Hunting I dont go past 40 and that's a personal choice not a limitation of the rifle. I enjoy a good Springer but their days are numbered. 

Hi Deker, I shot with springers, my last a Cometa 300 with plenty of success to 25 yards on rabbits, but then a new Webley Venom Viper came my way, which was reliably accurate with head shots rested beyond 30 yards, allowing for pellet drop. I still have the Webley, but for sheer accuracy you can't beat my 12 ft/lb HW100S. It is almost clinical, when shooting off the bipod to 35 yards. Click, the rabbits are dead. For brute force hitting power, vibration and slightly less accuracy out to 45/50 yards my 28 ft/lb FAC Career 707 in .22 is my tool for the job.

• 2 weeks later...

i completely missed a pigeons head yesterday at 30 yards. maybe it was a poor rest standing supported, my fault and wind plus windy branch.

prone off the deck with a bipod on paper the rifle will shoot about 0.1-0.3 inch at 40 yards on a good day. around half inch at 50 yards.

a miss is shooter error normally a dirty barrel or the wind!