Rimfire troubles

Chezney

Hello all,

I've got myself a bit of a dilemma. I bought myself my first .17HMR 2 weeks ago - pleased as punch. Bought it from a well-thought-of gun shop in the area, they set it up for me, and the last comment was 'all you have to do is finish sighting it in, it's been boresighted, and you're ready to go!'.

Fantastic, I thought. I took it home and got to work, put 20 rounds through to bed the bore in, then had a bit of trouble with the groupings at 100yds - a bad workman blames his tools, so therefore I bought some different ammo (went from Winchester varmint to Hornaday). Still no better (getting groupings on a credit card at best at 100yds and occasionally a stray one too). I made sure the bore looked ok, tightened the moderator a bit more, took it to a mates and we both shot it and came up no better!

Long story short(er), I found today that the scope rail attached to the barrel is loose, giving a tiny bit of movement on the scope and I assume also giving the inaccuracy (will confirm after fixing it up tomorrow).

My conundrum is, after putting almost £50 of ammo through the gun trying to get it sighted, I've found this problem that was from set-up. Do I:

1) Accept that I should've checked it myself to begin with and just get on with it.

2) Just get on with it but let the gunshop know of the 'mistake'.

3) Let the gunshop know of the 'mistake' and suggest the ammo that I have wasted trying to sight it could/should be replaced.

Just wondering what you chaps would do really!

Thanks,

C

Annoying as it undoubtedly is, I'd have to agree with the others and just chalk it down to experience. You could mention it (with a smile) next time you're in, and who knows, they may give you a box of ammo, but anyone can make a mistake, so personally I wouldn't make an issue of it.

I was going down the route of A to be honest, I'm new to the rifle 'scene', but wanted to check this wasn't a completely abnormal occurrence with purchase of a new rifle. Never had to use a scope on a shotgun!

Paul, I understand what you're saying - but I'd assume a wobbly scope will be the main problem at this stage?!

Cheers!

Hiya

Though the rifle is still 'running-in', and you are getting used to it, dont discount the real possiblity that wind effect (imperceptable at your end) will affect the small 0.17hmr round downrange at the target - thats 2 variables already before consistant hold, trigger release.............

L

Edited by Loki

I was going down the route of A to be honest, I'm new to the rifle 'scene', but wanted to check this wasn't a completely abnormal occurrence with purchase of a new rifle. Never had to use a scope on a shotgun!

Paul, I understand what you're saying - but I'd assume a wobbly scope will be the main problem at this stage?!

Cheers!

Yes the scope being loose will be a big issue with accuracy but I bet you still won't get pinpoint accuracy until you've stuffed another box or two down it, so in the long run it doesn't really matter.

well whether you decide to try and get some recompense from them or not at least take the time to tell them of the error

so many guns set up by "gunsmiths" are not fit for purpose it is unreal

I bought a .243 from a guy that was "set up" for the owner by a well known North East dealer

scope mounts screws were so long they caught the bolt and would allow the ejection of spent rounds!!

well whether you decide to try and get some recompense from them or not at least take the time to tell them of the error

so many guns set up by "gunsmiths" are not fit for purpose it is unreal

I bought a .243 from a guy that was "set up" for the owner by a well known North East dealer

scope mounts screws were so long they caught the bolt and would allow the ejection of spent rounds!!

Sometimes the wrong screws are packed with the bases and if a young guy on the shop floor is told to fir the bases, you can get that problem. I had to file down some Weaver screws once for a Winchester Model 70 because there were 4 receiver bridge screws in the bag instead of two for the bridge and two for the receiver ring. I ran a club range for 14 years and you could always tell when the job was done by a young fella at NZ Hunting & Fishing (the big franchise outfit in our country, which is often held to be better on the fishing than the hunting side). Screws were never loctited, steel ring mounts were never degreased and if the screws weren't obviously loose, a few hunting rounds, including once, some 7x61 in an old Schultz and Larsen fitted with a new scope and rings, would have things flapping in the breeze pretty quickly! :):whistling:

As I said earlier, lesson learned. I like that group by the way. You seem to have done well with your purchase.