Bee hive plans

rich1985

Hi all, well been thinking about starting keeping bees for a few years now as I have always had a strange fascination for them but have never really had too much time and if I cannot do something properly I would rather not bother. I have had a change in circumstances and now do have more time, I am attending a course in bee keeping in a couple of weeks to see how things go etc. next spring if all goes well I will probably get my first bees and give it ago. I have looked at hives on the net and for what they are seem a lot of money, I have a cousin that's a joiner and will make me a hive if I can get a plan. I've looked on Internet and the plans I have found are quite vague and not very clear, can any1 help? I'm thinking national hive. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated too of course. And if there any 1 in North norfolk that willing to take me under there wing and teach me that would be fantastic, thanks rich1985

Give mag357 a pm he's on this forum he used to keep bees and still has all the gear i believe and last time spoke to him about it

he was going to put everything up for sale but don't think he has yet you might get some good gear cheap to start you off..

Im starting my hive next year as well and I like you find bee's fascinating, I remember being at the Royal Highland show and spent hours watching them.

From what Ive been told Hives are cheaper around about Christmas time. Also worth joining a beekeeping club membership shouldnt cost much £6 for me and there should be someone there that will help you out, lots of info and presentations.

Till I get my own Im helping with my works hives we have just split the hives into two and Im hoping to get a Queen from one of them next year as they are a good strain not aggressive and producing lots of honey.

I had Black bee's and Italian bees. 20 hives and half a dozen nuke's in three sites,when I stopped.

The blacks where nice and easy for beginners but poor at building up and making honey, the Italian where sometimes quiet BUT the alert (vicious Queens) produced large colony's and large amounts of Honey.

I had to stop keeping as I became allergic to stings developing large swellings that would be dangerous if stung on the face or neck.

Its great to keep bee's BUT its a full time hobby that can't just be left a week or two between hive visits, if anyone says its easy or without frustration they have not kept the little ******* !

Good luck

Hi

Best of luck with your new hobby

Join a club

Observe the hive types they use in your area the best suited may not be the easiest to make

Sorry don't have any plans although buying a flat pack kit and taking the dimensions from it would be the way to go IMO

Just a thought

The planet needs bees

If they die out

So do we

All the best

Of

Thanks guys. I think what I will do is buy a flat pack hive and get my cousin to copy it so I got 2 then make a template of all the parts for future reference. Can't wait to get going next year, at present doing lots of research and trying to find a local bee keeper as a mentor as it were.