Pigeon carcase

geoffwales

Shot my first big bag today, have no idea what to do with two bin bags of pigeon carcasses!!! Bin man comes once a fortnight and no way am I keeping them that long this time of year!!! Just going to take them to the tip tomorrow, every household has different "household waste" ha ha

Worse thing you can do is leave then in the bin bags , they need cooling off as soon as possible if not they will go green overnight .

When you say two bin bags how many are you talking about ? , If this is going to be a regular problem why not ring your local game dealer or invest in a second hand freezer , they still need cooling off before you put them in the freezer, then put them straight in still in the feather and you might find when it is full your dealer might do a collection service . It help with the cost of cartridges and stop you taking them to your household tip .

Am I reading this right, are we talking here of throwing shot pigeon away instead of using them for food? Everybody who shoots live quarry has a moral duty to ensure that, if edible, it is used for such purpose, as well as having respect for the bird. It does not matter if you give them to someone who will use them, breast them and freeze them for your family or sell them, in good order, to the gamedealer. As many of you, as I do, have nesting pigeon in their garden, one of the great joys I have is to observe the courtship, mating, nest building, egg laying and fledgling cycle that takes place to produce the bird we undertake to outwit in the field with our own fieldcraft and skill, and to think of bin bagging them at the end of the day beggars belief. And before anyone jumps on me, yes I know they are a pest species shot under a general licence and must be controlled, but if someone is shooting edible birds, they should think what they are going to do with them before they go shooting!

Guest stevo

Am I reading this right, are we talking here of throwing shot pigeon away instead of using them for food? Everybody who shoots live quarry has a moral duty to ensure that, if edible, it is used for such purpose, as well as having respect for the bird. It does not matter if you give them to someone who will use them, breast them and freeze them for your family or sell them, in good order, to the gamedealer. As many of you, as I do, have nesting pigeon in their garden, one of the great joys I have is to observe the courtship, mating, nest building, egg laying and fledgling cycle that takes place to produce the bird we undertake to outwit in the field with our own fieldcraft and skill, and to think of bin bagging them at the end of the day beggars belief. And before anyone jumps on me, yes I know they are a pest species shot under a general licence and must be controlled, but if someone is shooting edible birds, they should think what they are going to do with them before they go shooting!

I agree 100 % but im keeping out of it lol

Hope he finds a soloution to his problem .

Edited by stevo

Hear hear.

He wouldn't bin Fillet steak and Pigeon breast to me is Fillet steak!!

Very nicely put numpty , sadly we are in a era where not everybody think the same as most of the P W mass . there is a lot more to shooting then just pulling the trigger .

Wayyyyyyyyy steady down people, I said "carcas" to me that means breast less pigion!! I assure you my freezer is brimming with pigeon right now! Can't remember what the op said but I guess he means the same?

I do my best to use any meat I have spare to trade with locals for lead.

No one should be throwing a whole pigeon away!

If you are not eating em don't shoot em

Edited by Sundodger

For carcases after breasts removed I put in strong bin bags, sprinkle over a little jeyes fluid, seal well and leave in bin for collection. The jeyes fluid tends to keep the maggots at bay but can still get smelly!!

If you have room in your "game" freezer you can freeze a bag of carcases until bin day, then stick them in the bin frozen.

For carcases after breasts removed I put in strong bin bags, sprinkle over a little jeyes fluid, seal well and leave in bin for collection. The jeyes fluid tends to keep the maggots at bay but can still get smelly!!

If you have room in your "game" freezer you can freeze a bag of carcases until bin day, then stick them in the bin frozen.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...