What am i to do !!

ditchman

Well finally the pigeons are back in big numbers here.........the farmer has "bent" my ear and wants me to "lay into them bigstyle" on the barley as he says they are pushing the crop down.................

,....well being sceptical i goes for a drive up the the barley field in question........it is COVERED with birds dropping on to it and feeding ......

problem.......he wants me to sit under the oaks and shoot them and let them lay there as it is a very heavy crop and he dosnt want it pushed down any more.......usually i would choose an area on the border of the CSMS...and drop them onto that....but this time it is in the middle of the field where a hedge was ragged out 30 years ago but they left all the mature oaks....so no CSMS......................i always pick what i shoot and make sure it goes into the food chain...but in this case the field is truly infested with birds...and very reluctantly i have agreed to give it an all day session on friday after the rain on thurs......if the wind has changed i will be able to set up near the CSMS and pick them...IF THE BIRDS HAVE MOVED....

im taking another look tomorrow so i will report back................i think i need to do it as he supplies me with cartridges...and looks after me at xmas...........

i will post a couple of pics' tomorrow to show you what i am talking about...

I would pick a tramline, if you can put a rotary up ,and only shoot them that are in that area coming into the rotary ,there will be very little damage and you will be able to pick up as they will be in a small area .but you will have to be very disciplined to do this.the amount of crop lost will not amount to £30 I bet and save hundreds.

to bad you carn't shoot them down a flight line somewhere where you can pick them!.

this is what i was hoping.................at the moment they are coming from everywhere......BUT.....they are starting to favour a line which crosses a wheat field a CSMS hedge CSMS...then onto the barley field in question................if the numbers continue to rise on that line ..that is where i will go...............i will see tomorrow........the pics i took were from this eve when i went up to the chip shop..,.

sorry to change the subject but what does csms mean?

Country side Management Strip................it is a boarder which goes around the field which is sown with wild grasses and flowers that encourage the wildlife and give refuge...think it is 3 or 4 metres wide and is measured from time to time by the govt' body as the farmer receives a payment for doing it.......there are also strict laws about its use.......not to be used as a farmtrack...and also other things like topping at the end of the growth cycle so as to scatter the seeds etc....

I've replied to other similar threads with the same answer but falls on deaf ears....magnet and a floater or two in close, flattening a small square for the magnet will cause negligible damage in the grand scheme of things. Then it's discipline and waiting for the birds to commit and shooting them in close (closer than normal), mark each bird and go straight out as soon as you shoot one. I've yet to have a farmer with a problem with that technique, and have shot 100+ on plenty of occasions doing just that. Just you being there for the day without shooting will put the pigeons off so there's no need to blast away at any pigeon within 50 yards you're never going to even attempt at retrieving?

I have to say though I never use a 12 bore for this sort of shooting as its massive overkill...we'll take a 20 bore with light loads or now the pump .410 we've got.

I've replied to other similar threads with the same answer but falls on deaf ears....magnet and a floater or two in close, flattening a small square for the magnet will cause negligible damage in the grand scheme of things. Then it's discipline and waiting for the birds to commit and shooting them in close (closer than normal), mark each bird and go straight out as soon as you shoot one. I've yet to have a farmer with a problem with that technique, and have shot 100+ on plenty of occasions doing just that. Just you being there for the day without shooting will put the pigeons off so there's no need to blast away at any pigeon within 50 yards you're never going to even attempt at retrieving?

I have to say though I never use a 12 bore for this sort of shooting as its massive overkill...we'll take a 20 bore with light loads or now the pump .410 we've got.

ive read recently that those pump 410's are just the buis'....ive got my old single shot webley....ok for a walk about jobby but not right for this occasion..............we will see what transpires on friday............................

...............proberly allll disapeared by then.....

I'm my mind you have only three options, set up in the tram lines close to the tree and shoot birds as they land in the tree as you should be able to pick up under the tree. Set up on the flightline to the field where you can pick up . Buy some rope bangers and set up under tree and shoot spooked birds as they leave the field where you can pick up. Good luck

The amount of damage you do is outweighed by the amount of crop that will be lost to the birds.

I'm my mind you have only three options, set up in the tram lines close to the tree and shoot birds as they land in the tree as you should be able to pick up under the tree. Set up on the flightline to the field where you can pick up . Buy some rope bangers and set up under tree and shoot spooked birds as they leave the field where you can pick up. Good luck

The amount of damage you do is outweighed by the amount of crop that will be lost to the birds.

Did notice yesterday that the birds were feeding for 2-3 minutes....then flying back into the oaks for 5 mins then dropping back or doing a circuit of the area then dropping in again......................so it is either

1. use my latest invention......the ..."B.A.M.15....." and stick it 10 yds out from the oaks and pick the coming in birds
  2. Tramline jobby ...difficult
  3. CSMS...(if the wind changes and a flightline developes)

off to acle to get stuff in a while....will drop by later to see whats up on the barley

PC......keep putting on the sunscreen................

That is one field that will want shooting directly it has been harvested . One word of caution with rope bangers this time of the year with it being very dry . Last year at about this time my farmer had a rope banger on a field of rape in the hedge row and managed to set the hedge row on fire . Some times the banger will drop on to the floor and explode among the grass and stuff in hedge row setting fire to the undergrowth .

Harnser

That is one field that will want shooting directly it has been harvested . One word of caution with rope bangers this time of the year with it being very dry . Last year at about this time my farmer had a rope banger on a field of rape in the hedge row and managed to set the hedge row on fire . Some times the banger will drop on to the floor and explode among the grass and stuff in hedge row setting fire to the undergrowth .

Harnser

quite believe it............i cant afford rope bangers anyway...................tell you what is strange tho........is that its the ONLY field in the area that is being hit by birds like that.....wonder why....as there a lot of other fields in the same area that are at the same stage of growth.......and with large oak trees nearby..................dont get me wrong but why did they choose one of my fields...............

talk about setting fire to things.........does BLACKPOWDER walk around with a fire extinguisher strapped to his back....ineffect he is a walking roman candle ! :whistling::lol:

Edited by ditchman