How cheap is too cheap when buying an air rifle second hand?

PeaceFrog

I haven't done any air gun shooting for years and years but I'd like to get into it again, just for targets in the garden when its nice and sunny like today.

I'm looking for a springer probably second hand in .177, all I want it to be is as accurate as possible and somewhere near the 12 ft lb limit. From a gun shop, what price would you recommend I pay for a second hand or new rifle and also what brands or models should I look out for? And just out of curiosity is buying a second hand air rifle a generally recommended thing to do? I can imagine that the valves and springs on an airgun are quite heavily used over time and deteriorate fairly soon.

Cheers.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have a look at the new hatsan,it looks like a hw95 and only costs £34.95 or there abouts. Someone has done a review on one on this forum. My hw 95 cost £150 with mod and a kassnar scope,it looked rough but still shoots good now.

£35?! That's crazy. I forgot to mention that my budget was around 150 ish maybe upto 200 if its worth it. What model is the Hatsan? The deal you got sounds perfect for me.

Have a look at the SMK range. The XS19 and XS20 are both break barrel springers, and the XS38 is a fixed barrel underlever springer. They are normally OK out of the box, but if you know one end of a screwdriver from another and are prepared to do a bit of polishing and deburring, you can end up with a superb air rifle.

Prices from around £100 - £180. There is a wealth of information on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum too about tuning/fettling and generally enjoying these Chinese rifles.

Edited by Les*1066

Have a look at the new hatsan,it looks like a hw95 and only costs £34.95 or there abouts. Someone has done a review on one on this forum. My hw 95 cost £150 with mod and a kassnar scope,it looked rough but still shoots good now.

No, the cheapest I have seen it for is £69, the most is somewhere around £140, the trigger is nowhere near as good as a 95 or any Rekord triggered springer, but it is usable, accurate and powerful enough to hunt with!

The rifles are available in West Malling, Kent and in Sheffield for £69 retail not wholesale.

Buying second hand is fine - and in some cases better. A well maintained spring rifle should outlast you and if you buy it from a gun shop they will be able to test the power. For £150 you will be a bit limited for choice, but if you can add another £50-100 you could get a HW80, 77, 95, or a 97 with a scope and never need to buy another. The Hatsan looks OK but in reality the HW range have much better triggers and are tried and tested classics. Why buy a brand new basic Kia when you could get a decent used BMW.

Buying second hand is fine - and in some cases better. A well maintained spring rifle should outlast you and if you buy it from a gun shop they will be able to test the power. For £150 you will be a bit limited for choice, but if you can add another £50-100 you could get a HW80, 77, 95, or a 97 with a scope and never need to buy another. The Hatsan looks OK but in reality the HW range have much better triggers and are tried and tested classics. Why buy a brand new basic Kia when you could get a decent used BMW.

I have a kia, whats wrong with them?

No, the cheapest I have seen it for is £69, the most is somewhere around £140, the trigger is nowhere near as good as a 95 or any Rekord triggered springer, but it is usable, accurate and powerful enough to hunt with!

The rifles are available in West Malling, Kent and in Sheffield for £69 retail not wholesale.

I apologise, the advert I had seen was on a dealers table. Basically two for £69.

I have a 2.5d p38 rangerover and an above average size willy

I have a 2.5d p38 rangerover and an above average size willy

Possibly a bad analogy, what about why buy a brand new Dacia when you could buy a used BMW.

my shooting buddie has a dacia,,whats wrong with them , :whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling::whistling:

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol:

ok I,ll get me coat

Edited by evo

Also I'm pretty sure Kia have a 7 year warranty. I would literally pick the Kia if that's true. Regardless when it comes to guns (of which I don't heavily rely on to work every morning) I take your point and I will probably push for a well looked after looking Weihauch if the price is right.

mole,, I,ve got to ask bud,,,

do you think that for £69 this gun will be built to last or for that matter will it last longer than 5 mins because for the life of me mate I cant see it happening, £69 for an air rifle is an amazing price,

but to keep praising something that you have owned for all of 3 weeks and how brilliant it is when really its just cheap tatt is really not putting yourself as an experienced airgunner in good light,

I know it fires pellets ,, I know its a little accurate,, and I know its only £69 but you promote the rifle like its a top of the range air rifle, the thing is just a cheap and nasty piece of tatt, I would honestly rather pay out an extra couple of quid and get a decent second hand weihrauch, at least then mole I would know I had spent my money well,

but praising a rifle like it was the dogs danglies when really its just a cheap and cheerful plinker for a small garden is really not giving anyone a good insight about this rifle,

lets be honest but you and I know there are better second hand rifles out there that have stood the test of time, I can assure you that the 900 will not be one of them

atb Evo

peacefrog,, for something built to last mate , get yourself a secondhand HW80, built like a tank, will take the knocks and still shoot accurately or for that matter bud get any HW , it will be money well spent

the rifle will also outlast you me and everyone else on here bud, don't waste your money on these cheap and nasty New rubbish

Edited by evo

peacefrog,, for something built to last mate , get yourself a secondhand HW80, built like a tank, will take the knocks and still shoot accurately or for that matter bud get any HW , it will be money well spent

the rifle will also outlast you me and everyone else on here bud, don't waste your money on these cheap and nasty New rubbish

Agreed evo

Quality throughout the range. :good::whistling:

mole,, I,ve got to ask bud,,,

do you think that for £69 this gun will be built to last or for that matter will it last longer than 5 mins because for the life of me mate I cant see it happening, £69 for an air rifle is an amazing price,

but to keep praising something that you have owned for all of 3 weeks and how brilliant it is when really its just cheap tatt is really not putting yourself as an experienced airgunner in good light,

I know it fires pellets ,, I know its a little accurate,, and I know its only £69 but you promote the rifle like its a top of the range air rifle, the thing is just a cheap and nasty piece of tatt, I would honestly rather pay out an extra couple of quid and get a decent second hand weihrauch, at least then mole I would know I had spent my money well,

but praising a rifle like it was the dogs danglies when really its just a cheap and cheerful plinker for a small garden is really not giving anyone a good insight about this rifle,

lets be honest but you and I know there are better second hand rifles out there that have stood the test of time, I can assure you that the 900 will not be one of them

atb Evo

Thing is when the extra money is spent on something that can be equally full of problems (the HW99 and 35 are prone to galling and failing miserably, the HW fix does not always work and the very poorly finished springs that are more and more common - the wife's two HW95s for instance - gouging lumps from the action) then yes. I will recommend them over some overpriced piece of German rubbish that is scouring it's insides out.

Evo why don't you try finding one of these 900s not to buy, but to cast a critical eye over? Remember they are only £69 at two shops and in some places are being sold for nearly double that! Which admittedly still is not a lot.

Let us try the old what you can buy it for and what you can sell it for test. You buy a 900 for £69 and decide that shooting is not your bag these days and decide to sell, you will get £40 second hand from it, minimum. £29 depreciation. Buy an HW95 and decide you don't like it and sell it and you will get £250 from it on a good day, £45 depreciation.

Seeing as the 900 is based on the Striker action and there are several of these knocking about that are well over 3 years old, yes I do think the 900 will last!

Edited by secretagentmole