How cheap is too cheap when buying an air rifle second hand?

PeaceFrog

hello, the TX 200 @ 9.04 llbs and the PRO SPORT @ 8.82 llbs why would anyone buy for walking the fields and hunting when the new 900X hatsan 6.5/7.0 llb 11.5 ft llb power a WW or tinbum tune kit and lube plus hawke sport HD in .177 will do any hunting and even better with sling fitted and you wont break the bank or tired arms.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The AA guns are heavy for a good reason-they are made from high grade materials (besides that is the advantage of weight to absorb recoil and steady your hold) - I have no intention of knocking the Turkish guns but it would be interesting to run ,say, the Prosport against the Hatstand and see if the price difference is really justified-but ultimately I think you would also need to put them thru their paces for quite a number of years to judge longevity. I have no experience regarding Turk built guns but if I had the choice of both then the AA would win hands down all day.

Edited by bruno22rf

Where do they make the 99 then?

They are all made in Germany you know!

http://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/tests/head-to-head-cometa-220-v-weihrauch-hw99s/

For sure? I thought I read on a forum that they moved the lower end rifle production to china. I'll be buying the HW99s in that case, seeing as it comes with sights I could use it while I saved for a decent optic. Tx200 will be in the pipeline though (;

Livefast123 that deal does sound great but I think I need the security of a shop purchase also RDF fees would bump up the price, also I can't view the page as I'm not a member but could you tell me his location, just in case? (if it isn't already sold).

Edited by PeaceFrog

Sorry, didn't think of that. The gun is in Oldham.

Don't be fooled by the illusion that an RFD will give good service after selling, there are plenty of horror stories on here......but also plenty of recommended shops.

post-50932-0-17297200-1436290546_thumb.jpg

Up for sale is my mint TX200 hc mk3 with walnut stock , this gun was going to be my long time keeper but after a lot of thought i've decided its time for it to go , i cannot fault this rifle in any way , everything is as it should be , ive hand oiled the stock with a little oil just to protect the wood other than that its as you would expect off the shelf smile.gif I'm looking for £300 for this little beauty . cheers guys .

Edited by Livefast123

Ah man, Oldham is out of my reach and I reckon RFD costs would push £50ish. I think I will go for a HW99s for now and then obtain a TX with a decent scope when I am better off but thank you for showing me the ad; what a pretty gun.

Does anyone know what is best for the HW99s out of .177 or .22? I am only target shooting and will most likely never use it for hunting anything ever but if .22 runs smoother I will go for .22.

I had no idea! How would one go about giving the money in that scenario, I hate to be distrustful but isn't it seriously dicey?

If it is too far to go and pick up then do not bother.

Quite simply there are lots of scammers on all sites, even this one. Do not chance your arm. If it is too far to go and collect the gun is not worth it!

We have gone all over the country for guns, Gloucestershire, Lake District, Manchester, Winchester, Lancashire, Birmingham (several times) these were guns worth the drive and taking a day out to get!

Edited by secretagentmole

One of the best basic springers i have recently got is the Remmington Express b/b in .177

very accurate, in its basic form its pretty smooth. and is good value for the money

and compared to my other springers, and i own most of the well known springers both underleavers

and break barrels the Express shoots very well indeed.

i do not insult/denigrate others people choices of airguns if it rings your bell

i say enjoy it , not every body can afford the more top end guns

Hatsans for instance make some very good value airguns and as long

as the owners can shoot them consistantly accurately thats all that matters.

personal insults are childish and imo not needed in this forum .

atb brian

I agree that blind buying could be risky but I have done it many times-never had the slightest problem so there are a lot of honest people out there-by contrast,however,a few years back I loaned an Airgun to a so called "mate" to use over a weekend and ended up having to take him to court to get it back.

I agree that blind buying could be risky but I have done it many times-never had the slightest problem so there are a lot of honest people out there-by contrast,however,a few years back I loaned an Airgun to a so called "mate" to use over a weekend and ended up having to take him to court to get it back.

Sounds like you need a 900 for mates like that!

I've still got my bsa mercury 177 had it for over 30 years still kills bunnies no problems no plans to replace it shows a good second hand is better than a new budget springer

Not necessarily, try to find a good quality secondhand rifle these days.

1) Scammers, or retailers of Thin Air Arms abound.

2) Buying secondhand from a shop is nearly as expensive as buying new.

3) Rifle quality on the premier marques is appalling, the industry is run by accountants now, anything to save a few euros or pounds per build will be implemented regardless of effect on quality. BSA spring powered guns for example are now Birmingham built Gamos, not BSA!

4) Buying secondhand can mean you run into a whole load of somebody else's problems, which by the time you have paid to sort out means you could have bought the same gun new!

5) Some people prefer new. Nothing like being the first to own something.

6) Quality on the cheap marques is ascending not descending. Think of Japanese cars and motorbikes, laughed at when they first came to the UK, now actively sought after!

Edited by secretagentmole

Got a deal from my favourite shop for a HW99s, basic hawke scope and mounts for £235, can't wait to get it now its behind the counter with my name on it. Thanks for the advice and opinions fellow shooters, pigeonwatch is tops :good:

Just make sure it has the anti galling mod fitted and beware if it buzzes, could be a poorly finished spring!

Just make sure it has the anti galling mod fitted and beware if it buzzes, could be a poorly finished spring!

Uh, anti galling mod? Ah google sent me to a forum explaining it grinds when being cocked open. How do I know if it's had the mod done?

Also just read it's marketed as a junior rifle, is that a negative? I like light guns but also like 'em full sized because I'm not small and have long arms.

Uh, anti galling mod? Ah google sent me to a forum explaining it grinds when being cocked open. How do I know if it's had the mod done?

Also just read it's marketed as a junior rifle, is that a negative? I like light guns but also like 'em full sized because I'm not small and have long arms.

your not an Orangutan are you by any chance Peacefrog, :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

You should be able to see what looks like a plastic insert where the arm from the barrel goes to the piston.

Watch out for buzzing, can mean a poorly finished spring, HW seems to get all their springs from a mile long coil and just hack them off with an angle grinder. A tuning kit will work wonders.

your not an Orangutan are you by any chance Peacefrog, :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm a lot like Marvellous Marvin Hagler except I am slim, Caucasian and no good at boxing (;

You should be able to see what looks like a plastic insert where the arm from the barrel goes to the piston.

Watch out for buzzing, can mean a poorly finished spring, HW seems to get all their springs from a mile long coil and just hack them off with an angle grinder. A tuning kit will work wonders.

Uh thanks I'll be sure to check for that. Needn't I worry it is apparently aimed at juniors? I've seen on here that a lot of blokes use them and had no idea, is it a lot smaller than full size?

Just a quick note regarding buying blind-bought a gun today, just over £200, never spoken to the guy before and have no idea where he lives-quick chat on the phone and he's posting the gun Monday, next day delivery-no money has changed hands and he's happy to take payment when I have received and approved of the gun. There are a lot of decent shooting men out there.

Just a quick note regarding buying blind-bought a gun today, just over £200, never spoken to the guy before and have no idea where he lives-quick chat on the phone and he's posting the gun Monday, next day delivery-no money has changed hands and he's happy to take payment when I have received and approved of the gun. There are a lot of decent shooting men out there.

He at least knows where you live though in case you dont pay