1 eye or 2

roadkill

I have now been clay pigeon shooting 4 times and im struggling with which eye or eyes to use , I have been told by some people to always use both eyes but this weekend just gone i was talking how i was finding it hard using both eyes as i have used an airgun for most of my life , The man said to just use one eye as that what he does after reading that a clay champion only used one eye...

So am i best with 2 or 1 :good:?

start with both closed and work up. :good::good::lol:

do what feels best and gives the best result, if its one use one

so is there any pros or cons or is it each to there own? :lol:

theres pros and cons in all things my friend, how well do you shoot with one eye % i mean

try it the other way and gauge it, the main thing with shotgun is depth perception when targetting, using one eye will restrict your ability to gauge distance,,, not only my opinion but fact,,,, this is not to say you cant do it ,,,,only it helps, if your a one eye rifle boy (me i use two there as well) it may take some gettin used too.

it is down to you my son, try both ways for a period of time, if you've always shot one eye then now go two and see <- pun :lol: the difference, regardless of anything anyone tells you remember this, its you looking down the tubes and pulling triggers no-one else, this hasd to be a concious decision you make.

good luck and let me know how you get on, please.

Martin

I have now been clay pigeon shooting 4 times and im struggling with which eye or eyes to use , I have been told by some people to always use both eyes but this weekend just gone i was talking how i was finding it hard using both eyes as i have used an airgun for most of my life , The man said to just use one eye as that what he does after reading that a clay champion only used one eye...

So am i best with 2 or 1 :good:?

FORGET THE CLAY CHAMPION.

1st get a clay shooter to determin your master eye.

and check for gun fit

remember your eye is the rear sight, and the bead is the fore sight.

always keep your cheek on the comb if you keep your head upright.

you should see all the rib of your gun.

don't aim the gun by looking down the rib. watch the clay only.

keep both eye's open.

dont swing the gun.

swing your whole body from the hips like a golfer.

when you pull the trigger keep the gun moving DON'T STOP or you will miss.

for a rising clay start below it and pass it as it vanishes behind the barrel.

pull trigger and keep that gun rising, don,t be tempted so peek round the gun to see if you have hit the clay

for crossing clays get in front pull trigger and KEEP THE GUN MOVING.

KEEP IT MOVING .

KEEP IT MOVING.

Rifle shooters tend to shoot at the clay and stop the gun after firing. fact.

summing up.

if the gun don't fit you will miss.

if you stop swinging the gun you will miss.

all the best fromPETE.,

cheers for the advice so far chaps it looking like <- no pun intended ) i should stick with two eyes....

So before i even go out and buy my own i need to get some one to assess my shooting and also get a gun fitted who do i seek out to do this ? would it be the bloke at the gun shop or someone from down the clay range?

cheers for the advice so far chaps it looking like <- no pun intended ) i should stick with two eyes....

So before i even go out and buy my own i need to get some one to assess my shooting and also get a gun fitted who do i seek out to do this ? would it be the bloke at the gun shop or someone from down the clay range?

bit of good advice coming up.

see who is one of the best shooters at your range.

ask him to check your fit.

and pick his brains.

do a lot of dry practice. without shooting.

for example,

find yourself a straight line to aim at

like a picture mould round the room,

stick a stamp somewhere along it

swing past it slowly and as you pass pull the trigger and keep the gun going.

if you are right handed point your left foot towards the stamp

remember a steady smooth swing is important don't rush

All good advice from pete, but I would be wary taking gun fit advice from "the best shot", I'd be much more inclined to go see an instructor trained to assess gun fit.

With the best will in the world everyone will offer you advice and most of it will have some value, but assessing correct gun fit is not something you just inherit by being a good shot.

I keep both eyes open as I am one of the lucky ones with no eye dominance, before you decide whether to shut one or not you really should have yours checked.

Gun fit is the other important thing. An hour and £50 spent with an instructor is well worth it in my opinion.

As Martin has hit upon, find out what is your master eye. If like him you have no dominant eye or your dominant eye is the same side as you are handed, i.e right handed, right dom eye or left handed and left dom eye then keep both eyes open. This enables you to pick up more of the target and gater a depth perception when shooting.

Real probs arise when the dom eye is the opposite to your 'handedness. ie right hander strong left eye etc. In these cases the strong but opposite eye has to be blinkered or kept shut if the barrels are not to be pulled off target.

Quick way to check

Look through a bog roll at a distant object ie a flower in the garden with both eyes.

Now close one eye

Did the flower stay in sight through the bog roll?

If so the eye you are looking with is your dominat eye.

Now close the other one.

Did the flower 'jump out of the bog roll?

If so this is your weak eye.

So lets assume you are right handed and you closed your left eye.

The flower stayed in the bog roll, therefore dom eye matches your handedness you will have no probs with both eyes open.

Vice versa for left hookers.

Cheers

I keep both eyes open as I am one of the lucky ones with no eye dominance, before you decide whether to shut one or not you really should have yours checked.

Gun fit is the other important thing. An hour and £50 spent with an instructor is well worth it in my opinion.

i know this sounds stupid but where do you go to get them checked :rolleyes:

i know this sounds stupid but where do you go to get them checked :rolleyes:

Your local shooting ground will normally have an instructor or two.

Now im a total beginner when it comes to shotgunning but like you, alot of people told me you must keep both eyes open and i did for about 2 very frustrating months of hitting nearly nothing. I went to see a coach and after telling me that my stock was waaay too short he then determined that I had a left dominant eye and im a right hander :good:

So when i was shooting with both eyes open i wasn't infact pointing the gun where i thought i was :good:

Im soooo glad i paid the money for the lesson, I still might not be very good but at least im bringing down afew, enough to keep me keen and enjoying myself.

So lets assume you are right handed and you closed your left eye.

The flower stayed in the bog roll, therefore dom eye matches your handedness you will have no probs with both eyes open.

I disagree and know a few others this doesn't hold true for. Its a good method for determining which is your master eye, and I have a very dominant right eye..

I can't shoot with both open though, I end up seeing the bead and go cross-eyed.

I call for the bird both open, mount the gun, track the bird and just before I shoot I close my left eye. I know quite a few others who do this too.

I don't find a disadvantage with depth perception or speed - since I have worked that all out using both eyes :good:

i kinda agree with you there pin, there are many ways to shoot, and the eye domination issue will run for many years, as to caplock Q if im left handed and right eye dom what would you sugest ??

do i shoot right handed or left with right eye patched, curious as to your method ??

me im an oddball ( stay the comments boys and girls) i do shoot left and right handed in targets/clay, using both eyes open and switching eye control, but i have taught myself to do so with reason.

Martin

Hi Martin if as you say you are L handed and right eyed then you can either blank completely or blurr the image from the strong but opposite eye by apllying clear selotape to a pair of shooting glasses. This usually has the effect of damping the vision sufficiently to allow the weaker eye to take control again. I know a couple of people who have tried this method and find it more relaxing over a round of clays without having to squint the eye shut.

I can honestly say that I dont even see the gun when shooting so dont have the problem of looking crosseyed at the foresight. Just the faintest notion that the end of the gun is there in the picture so to speak.

I think this is a practice issue if anything, pick the gun up everyday and look past it at various objects to train the memory of the sight picture you should be expecting. IF the gun fits and your mount is good it should be pointing where you are looking without the need to check by looking at the foresight.

Cheers

i kinda agree with you there pin, there are many ways to shoot, and the eye domination issue will run for many years, as to caplock Q if im left handed and right eye dom what would you sugest ??

do i shoot right handed or left with right eye patched, curious as to your method ??

me im an oddball ( stay the comments boys and girls) i do shoot left and right handed in targets/clay, using both eyes open and switching eye control, but i have taught myself to do so with reason.

Martin

Martin

Being left handed is the mark of the devil himself

you should strap your left hand behind your back and be beaten with a birch briar until you learn the righteous path to enlightenment

et voila

problem solved

hope this helps TP

Martin

Oddball? Not the term I would use mate :good:

Martin

Being left handed is the mark of the devil himself

you should strap your left hand behind your back and be beaten with a birch briar until you learn the righteous path to enlightenment

et voila

problem solved

hope this helps TP

Says it all and from such a nice chap, goes to church on Sunday, digs up weeds for his elderly neighbours, and makes jam for W.I.

LB :good:

and of cource this from the guy who has " bite my shiney metal a$$" as his avatar :lol: :(

but thanks for your kindly words,,,,,,, i think :lol:

caplock i didnt say i was right eye dom, it was a hypothetical question, at the moment i cant see out of either eye, it was a very rough night with the brits here last night :):lol:

as to the query, my opiion is to shoot from the shoulder of your dominant eye, learn to do it proper like, like wot i do.

mark of the devil my butock, theres royal blood in leftys,,,,,,,,,,aparently a lot of others as well nowadays :lol::lol::lol:

Martin

p.s

a normal sunday morning ritual partaken by many expats here during winter to the chant of

"enough of this white sh*te, bring on summer" and " what the hell did i move here for anyway" :lol:

i know this sounds stupid but where do you go to get them checked :)

check your own eyes pick a thin verticle object like a cane stick about 10 yards away keep both eyes open and point at the cane as if you are aiming close your left eye if you are still pointing at the stick you are right eye dominant

if you are pointing to the right after closing your left eye you are left dominant.

All good advice from pete, but I would be wary taking gun fit advice from "the best shot", I'd be much more inclined to go see an instructor trained to assess gun fit.

With the best will in the world everyone will offer you advice and most of it will have some value, but assessing correct gun fit is not something you just inherit by being a good shot.

quite true pin there is always the chance that your best shot is just a jammy *******

about the best shot,

i first used a shotgun in 1948 at 8 years old plonking rabbits on the farm.around 1955 i bought an old s/s hammer gun 3/4 and full. with more headache than me on a monday morning,

2 years later, i was winning most of our local clay competitions, on a regular basis.

I new nothing of gun fit, dominant eye,or lead, but I could wollop them bunnies and dicky birds. and clays.

however when the shotgun permits came into being in the 60's

owd wooden head said thats it I'm packing in and flogged my gun for about 4 quid.

and took up air rifle shooting.

on retiring in 2004, I decided to go back to clays, with views on the olimpics. what a shock I found I couldn't hit a cows *** with a banjo.

it took me 20 odd guns, a lesson in gun fitting, learning to swing instead of aim.

now just as i'm coming good i gets arthritis ****** lifes a bitch.

I've just (yesterday) taken my first ever lesson, should have done it months ago. Started shotgun shooting in ernest, first weeked in January this year; before that, most of my previous shooting was with a rifle, which was always shot right eye only.

I'm right-handed, I shoot right handed and I have right eye dominance, so why was I struggling to hit clays?

It wasn't so pronounced a problem with a twin-beaded rib, but with my single-beaded sporter, I was all over the place.

So, many thanks to Dan Archer, at Bisley, who when he checked my gun fit; noticed that shortly after mounting the gun and aligning perfectly with my right eye, I would subtlely move my point of aim left - sought of middle eye - so always off target.

The reason? Although I am right eye dominant, I have a slightly stronger left eye, in terms power of visual magnafication, which has the effect of 'pulling' my sight picture to the left after initial focus. And the really simple, £30 answer was one of these "Easyhit" optic foresights, it was instantly successful.

It has a hi-vis orange fibre-optic housed in a tube, which means only the eye directly behind it, can see it. And so this 'tricks' your brain into accepting the sight picture from the side of the strongest visual reference. It makes a good sight bead for hunting aswell, especially in low light conditions and their website has a lot generally usefull info on it.

PS. I am not an agent for and nor do I sell them, I was simple very, very impressed by how they so quickly sought me out. :)

Lefty