Goodbye London

throttlemonkey

41 minutes ago, throttlemonkey said:

Almost Three years now since the 3 of us waved goodbye to London and relocated in Baza,Granada,España.

Our rural farmhouse b&b is starting to take off, with visitors all year round.Now growing all our own veg,chicks,turkeys,rabbits,ducks,RLpartridge.Have collected,goats,pigs,a crippled donkey, a circus pony, and a 300 kg castrated boar that took six men to despatch, and butcher. he kept us well fed for over six months.

Bella, my youngest daughter was five years old(the three oldest girls we left behind in the UK) and was thrown in at the deep end at school, is now fluent in Castillano, and English, and now learning French. The teachers speak no English, and use her to teach the younger British kids Spanish. I've told her to charge for her time.She has 12 acres to play,cycle,Quad, horse ride,hunt lizards bats mice , mushrooms,insects,and is always occupied, and always smiling.

The fish in the lake, are as big as busses,wild boar have replaced the London city foxes, but taste much better!and can ride or drive off road all day long without crossing tarmac or seeing anyone.

It's been an uphill struggle,but well worth the effort 😀

Been reading this thread with a good deal interest and very pleased things have worked out well for you and the family , you have told us the good bits now what about the bad bits ( if there is any ) and what do you miss from the U K.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshman, the bad bits.

Spanish bureaucracy! It took 2 years to register with the tourist board,mainly because of the Correos, (post office)

It gets cold in winter, -16 at night, it is  snowing here right now, were 900m above sea level. Last winter burned six tonnes of olive and Almond wood.

A month ago we had a hail storm which lasted no more than 20 minutes but devastated my olive and almond and grape harvest this year. The hailstones left bullet holes everywhere, the garden looked like Beirut. but after 2 weeks all the plants had recovered.

All I miss of the UK are my other three daughters, and friends in London,  but they all visit regularly.absolutely nothing more, I am dreading the trip back at Christmas.

It feels like once a week I get a sharp kick in the balls from somewhere, but the remaining six days make everything worthwhile.

29 minutes ago, throttlemonkey said:

Marshman, the bad bits.

Spanish bureaucracy! It took 2 years to register with the tourist board,mainly because of the Correos, (post office)

It gets cold in winter, -16 at night, it is  snowing here right now, were 900m above sea level. Last winter burned six tonnes of olive and Almond wood.

A month ago we had a hail storm which lasted no more than 20 minutes but devastated my olive and almond and grape harvest this year. The hailstones left bullet holes everywhere, the garden looked like Beirut. but after 2 weeks all the plants had recovered.

All I miss of the UK are my other three daughters, and friends in London,  but they all visit regularly.absolutely nothing more, I am dreading the trip back at Christmas.

It feels like once a week I get a sharp kick in the balls from somewhere, but the remaining six days make everything worthwhile.

Many THANKS for your detailed reply , interesting to know the nights are a lot colder than we have here in the U K although I cant imagine what it is like 900 meters above sea level as where I lived we must had been 2 meters below sea level as we had 5 feet of water in our old house when we were flooded in 53 and our last house we moved from last year was only two roads away from that house .

GOOD LUCK and hope everything continues to work out for the better :good:

I did the same but I only moved to Abercynon Wales about twenty miles north of Cardiff. More foreign in some ways than Spain but I can be back in Paddington  in two hours and for £8 on the train. I love it, rural and honestly good people who have lived through a lot of social hardship, but deserve better. 

You soon realise that a lot of people in the valleys have no hope of ever escaping the life that fate dealt them. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I did the same but I only moved to Abercynon Wales about twenty miles north of Cardiff. More foreign in some ways than Spain but I can be back in Paddington  in two hours and for £8 on the train. I love it, rural and honestly good people who have lived through a lot of social hardship, but deserve better. 

You soon realise that a lot of people in the valleys have no hope of ever escaping the life that fate dealt them. 

The people with a chance and hope of escape left long ago. 

Many skilled and educated people left when they closed all the industries. 

My grand father (an engineer) and many colleagues left for Holland for a whole, or similar places where they could work and make good money. 

They took their skills, experience and knowledge and left the valleys, and that skills and expertise left forever. 

11 hours ago, la bala said:

Just a shame you cant get a straight flight to Granada anymore, unless things have changed.

easyJet now have twice weekly shuttle from Gatwick and Manchester direct to Granada👍

10 hours ago, Chris B. said:

Throttlemonkey, have you a website for your B&B? or facebook page. Thanks Chris.

Look for Cortijo Vergara on Facebook

On 31/10/2018 at 23:45, Vince Green said:

How do you get to London for £8 by train? Costs me more than that to get to Bristol, and I only live in Chepstow!

42 minutes ago, das said:
On 03/07/2015 at 17:57, throttlemonkey said:

Well I don't speak any of the languages spoken in London so don't think its going to b a worry elsewhere ha

😅😅

Of course, if you didn't laugh you'd cry. There are probably more Londoners talking like this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWsR5CdHFk than are talking like you or me.

11 hours ago, oowee said:

What on earth was all that about lol. There is some real carp on the tube.  

His channel's called 'Vanbanter' and it' has over 100,000+ subscribers. He seems like a nice lad, but quite honestly the culture and language is completely and utterly alien to me. Of course, that's  quite possibly because I"m just getting too old......

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

His channel's called 'Vanbanter' and it' has over 100,000+ subscribers. He seems like a nice lad, but quite honestly the culture and language is completely and utterly alien to me. Of course, that's  quite possibly because I"m just getting too old......

You and me both. It's just so much clap trap. I watch some rubbish but at least something is happening in the ones I watch. 🙂 Any other good ones? I must admit I like the 'Stop a Douchebag' channel . I need to get put more 🙂