How do you keep your Dog Safe in your Car / Van / 4x4 ?

RedRobin

Hi PW

Really as the Topic title says...

What do you keep your Dog(s) safe and secure in whilst in you vehicle ?

Especially Cocker owners :)

Ive looked at Lintran ... K9 Trans , Ive also seen the cheaper end of the scale with the Airline approved Plastic Boxes .

Opinions please :)

Cheers RR

Edited by RedRobin

Mine go in an ifor williams top on the pickup, tailgate locks and you can slip a padlock on the catches. It looks a little agricultural but I don't know anything better for being able to lock them in and not have to worry about them overheating as even in direct sun being aluminium and silver it just doesn't get hot.

• 2 weeks later...

I've often wondered, if you unfortunately have a rear end shunt when your dogs are locked in a cage in the boot. How do you go about getting them out if the rear door is stuck?

This made me think when a lad hit my van whilst texting on his phone. He hit with such force that the racking in the back collapsed and the doors bent shut.

My dogs now wear a harness and sit on the back seat.

I rolled my last pick up on Mway on black ice and dogs were flung across the mway, thank god the police had shut the road and i was about the last vehicle up it (althou would have been better if they stopped me too). Would off been a nightmare as could hardly stand on road was so slippy if other cars had to try and avoid my dogs and rst of my gear would have caused a major crash. In the next few miles i counted 14 motors crashed at roadside that morning with little warning, like the wacky races had just finished.

Canopy just exploded as only fibre glass, must admit thought about those more secure dog boxes but also if they bend on mpact will be very hard to get dogs out.

Despite wot some say dog theft is fortunately fairly small numbers wise. My dogs are never locked in kennels and quite rare for me to ever lock my motor anyway wether dogs in or not.

U dinae mention wot type of car u have? The tailgate extension things are very good, so u can lock ur estate boot/ or back door of van slightly open.

By far and away the biggest danger to a dog left in a car is heat, many more die from heat (vastly more actually) than get stolen especially at this time of year. Its so simple either don't take them in the first place or don't leave them unattended. I don't mean to be rude but I struggle to think of a really good reason to leave your dog in the car winter or summer. So the best way is keep on the move with good airflow nobody I think has ever stolen a dog from a moving car or take the thing with you

• 2 weeks later...

I've often wondered, if you unfortunately have a rear end shunt when your dogs are locked in a cage in the boot. How do you go about getting them out if the rear door is stuck?

This made me think when a lad hit my van whilst texting on his phone. He hit with such force that the racking in the back collapsed and the doors bent shut.

My dogs now wear a harness and sit on the back seat.

On a safedog box, dog will survive... its the only crate i know of thats been lab crash tested.... solid bit of kit..,own one myself..

http://youtu.be/qsyh0C5kZqQ

I had a Port a Pet box which was great bit of kit, all aluminum so nice and lightweight to put in and out the truck. My FIL has the Trans K9 and it is built like tank however it takes two of us to lift it in and out of the car.

Now we have kids we use the boot a lot more with bags and buggies etc so sold the box, instead we have proper dog guards which will protect both us and the dog in case of an accident. In hindsight though the box was more aggro for me than what it was worth, only advantage I found was when dogs were wet they didnt mess up the boot of the car.

IMO with regards to an accident big rear end shunts where the back is completely crushed are very rare, its a risk but a very small one realistically so not worth the extra cost and weight of the "crash tested" boxes. Plenty of people have 7 seater cars with the back seats right near the back end and dont think twice of putting their kids in there

Edited by ferguson_tom

I had a Port a Pet box which was great bit of kit, all aluminum so nice and lightweight to put in and out the truck. My FIL has the Trans K9 and it is built like tank however it takes two of us to lift it in and out of the car.

Now we have kids we use the boot a lot more with bags and buggies etc so sold the box, instead we have proper dog guards which will protect both us and the dog in case of an accident. In hindsight though the box was more aggro for me than what it was worth, only advantage I found was when dogs were wet they didnt mess up the boot of the car.

IMO with regards to an accident big rear end shunts where the back is completely crushed are very rare, its a risk but a very small one realistically so not worth the extra cost and weight of the "crash tested" boxes. Plenty of people have 7 seater cars with the back seats right near the back end and dont think twice of putting their kids in there

To be honest for me, if i was to take a cold economic decision, the cost of the crate is way less than the cost of having to get a fully trained lab thats at trial standard..... And you're right about seven seaters, I think fifth gear or one of those did a crash test that showed actually how unsuitable maybe those rear seats are.... I think NCAP subsequently revised the tests..... And the difference between dogs and kids....well your kids are wearing a seatbelt that will most probably upon impact apply tension using pyrotechnic tensioners that are set on sensors around the vehicle.... I actaully find a crate useful in my case as when we're at tests etc, I can leave boot open, lock the dog up in it and sign in etc.... Weightwise my safedog box is circa 25kgs, easily removed in 3 minutes even with the mrs helping

Horses for courses i know...

Just had a look at the Safedog website and its interesting read, one thing I have never thought about before was the impact to the back seats especially as I normally have 2 children in mine. If something hit you hard enough to crumple the boot floor last thing you would want is a rigid steel box like the Trans K9 being pushed into the back seat, granted dog would be fine but rear passengers could be a different story.

ferg - i'm just down the a1 if you want to have a look at ours

Thanks for the offer :good: but I am happy with the dog guards we have as works best for us. We do not do trials or anything like that so dont need the security with the boot open and lifting a box in and out to make room for the buggy every other day means I would just stop using it.