Bowman reloading press - instruction sheet needed

saddler

As per the title

Got a nice Bowman unit recently, courtesy of Lord Geordie

Had a confusing couple of minutes looking for the pre-crimp station until I tilted the press & found that there isn't one & the pre-crimp is integrated into the machine head

I'd be interested in a scan of the instructions, or a link to where they may be available to read on-line, just so I can read up on the machine & see what else it may do differently from the more often seen US made reloaders

Edited by saddler

ive had one of these for over 40 years now,some years ago I needed the wad guides foned bowman up "sorry the lady says we don't make them any more but we do have some parts available" she came back to me with they are 50p each for the guides so I got ten of em just in case,but never had a manual that I can remember but worth a fone call to them.

• 2 weeks later...

They don't do bushings only the universal bar you got with it!

However, MEC non progressive bar fits! And you can then get the MEC bushes to fit that. Or you can get the MEC universal bar which is for modern powders. The old bar is for older powders and as such the charge is too large with modern powders!

The other option it to have the bar you have machines out to MEC spec by a machinist and that would allow the use of MEC bushings, or if your good on a lathe get the MEC measurements for the bushes you need and machine the bushes too.

They don't do bushings only the universal bar you got with it!

However, MEC non progressive bar fits! And you can then get the MEC bushes to fit that. Or you can get the MEC universal bar which is for modern powders. The old bar is for older powders and as such the charge is too large with modern powders!

The other option it to have the bar you have machines out to MEC spec by a machinist and that would allow the use of MEC bushings, or if your good on a lathe get the MEC measurements for the bushes you need and machine the bushes too.

Hi

I was wondering, though the confusion was caused by the end adjustment screws...as they sort of gave the impression that they could be used to retain bushings of some sort.

Will look in some of my older magazine articles....but as I have a good stock of Nobel shotgun powder I am sure I could work out some sort of load that uses the existing bar.

Will see what the older reference books say.

I sent a message to Bowman the other day too, so they may have a copy of the instruction leaflet that I can download.

I would also appreciate a copy of instructions, should you succeed. I will do a bit of diggign myeslf and let you know if I turn anything up.

I have the 20 gauge Bowman, and I am missing the sleeves that go over the cartridges, so if anyone knows the dimensions I would be grateful, that way I can make some on the lathe.

There's a demo/instructional video here if it helps

WEIRD :ninja:

That voice was one I'd heard before....then I saw the black writing on the charge bar...

That's my press, being operated by it's previous owner!!

NEWS

Bowman replied to my e-mail, and they are sending me a user leaflet for the press.

Once I get it I'll scan it & post it on here & a couple of other forums

• 3 months later...

Just been reading the posts about the Bowman reloading press and wondered if anyone had a copy of the instructions they are prepared to share. I contacted Bowmans recently and they said they would send me some but what I actually received was a sales leaflet that didn't tell me how to use the press. Am particuarly interested in how to adjust the threaded rod for the crimping die.

That voice was one I'd heard before....then I saw the black writing on the charge bar...

NEWS

Bowman replied to my e-mail, and they are sending me a user leaflet for the press.

That's because it MY video :lol:

• 7 months later...

NEWS

hi,sorry to mither you, did you happen to get any paperwork regarding bowman presses? picked two up with one or two parts missing and was thinking about maybe resurrecting them and put back into use ? cheers .

cheers for getting back, seem to be missing the washer part that fits into the reprime station on top of the spring ? could I ask is ? is it a simple washer or more complicated ? like a top hat perhaps ? would get one made if so ?

I have some mec charge bars which are not far of fitting the original housing dimension wise ? been told they would be suitable with a bit of muckin about and would certainly solve the bushing problem if so. any advise greatly appreciated, cheers again.

Hi

I was wondering, though the confusion was caused by the end adjustment screws...as they sort of gave the impression that they could be used to retain bushings of some sort.

Will look in some of my older magazine articles....but as I have a good stock of Nobel shotgun powder I am sure I could work out some sort of load that uses the existing bar.

Will see what the older reference books say.

I sent a message to Bowman the other day too, so they may have a copy of the instruction leaflet that I can download.

fitted some mec charge bars to the ones I picked up seem to work ok ? only thing is the bushes are opposite way round ie shot becomes powder and vise versa :lol:

could tap n thread the other side I suppose and fit em as intended if proved to be a problem :hmm: bottle threads are also knackered ! but again seems mec bottles will fit :good: did they ever do any 16 bore bits for these ?

fitted some mec charge bars to the ones I picked up seem to work ok ? only thing is the bushes are opposite way round ie shot becomes powder and vise versa :lol:

could tap n thread the other side I suppose and fit em as intended if proved to be a problem :hmm: bottle threads are also knackered ! but again seems mec bottles will fit :good: did they ever do any 16 bore bits for these ?

Yes, a mate has one but the M/C is not made now and as far as I know there aren't any bits for them. They are pretty basic and bits could be made to fit them as above.

I have two Bowman's both were originally 16 bore one i converted to 12 bore and the other to .410 , with a sleeve you can use the lee powder bushings if you cut the square part off . and the Mec wad guides can be made to fit quite easy .

The sizing ring/die i machined up at work together with the primer/case ejection pin also the cheap round shampoo bottles 1 lt and 1/2 lt fit the threads.

My phone pictures will not resize small enough to post pic's.

Edited by Andy H

• 6 years later...