Piper Alpha

big bad lindz

I am sure for some, you will not forget the tragic events that unfolded 28 years ago today. Others may not even know what happened, a lot of you were not even born.

The oil industry has moved on thankfully but myself and the others on the platform have or will take some time out today to remember the loss.

Although 1000`s of people work offshore and associated industry it is still a small community and I ask that you all take a few moments of reflection and remember the Piper Alpha.

Cheers,

BBL

I am sure for some, you will not forget the tragic events that unfolded 28 years ago today. Others may not even know what happened, a lot of you were not even born.

The oil industry has moved on thankfully but myself and the others on the platform have or will take some time out today to remember the loss.

Although 1000`s of people work offshore and associated industry it is still a small community and I ask that you all take a few moments of reflection and remember the Piper Alpha.

Cheers,

BBL

Never forgotten .... worked on platforms and Rigs myself ...... lindz do you know if one of the survivors was a Scot named Will Fenney?

Yes I remember it vividly. I knew people who died, I have a friend, a close friend of 20+ years who still works offshore. PA is his first argument for safety issues.

Having said that, the industry should have learned from PA but Deep Water Horizon still happened !

28 years! Sheeesh where did that go? I started out as an Engineer on a Shell refinery, can kill yourself more ways in petro chem than almost anywhere else.

Piper Alpha, Flixborough, et al, they all happened after a string of little errors and coincidences joining up to make the big result, trying to get folks to deal with small risks and bad habits has always been a struggle cos they just don't see how little things have a nasty habit of finding more little things to conspire with in dark corners...

Thankfully I got out of that industry years ago. RIP - all so very tragic for all the families involved, but in my time in the oil patch, I witnessed many tragic accidents, most often on the exploration rigs where safety often came a poor second to cost and profit.

Hopefully things have improved somewhat since then.