Cut Barley-Mega Bag

Topgunners

Well, it was certainly a pleasant surprise to finally get on the pigeons. After weeks of shooting 100's of blackies

Saturday

I went to a farm that had cut his grass a week or so ago. Upon arriving at 6.15 am , I was confronted with hundreds of blackies, on the wires, the ground and spread all over the bales.

I set up some decoys on the floor and all over the bales immediately in front of me. At the forefront I buried a flapper in the first bale and settled down in the hide. The birds were flying in from all directions.

I had a day of all sorts; birds coming in one's and two's, and then 10's at a time. I had 7 x trebles and numerous doubles. I shot steady all day. No lull, at all. I ended up with 114. I packed all my stuff away and as I drove out through the cattle sheds about 500-600 lifted into the air. I was gutted, but I can't be in 2 places at once. Got home about 9.00 pm.

Total

114 birds

terrific%20hide_zpsq0ej1gki.jpg

tiptop7_zps2xjjkrum.jpg

tiptop5_zps3zfoorni.jpg

Sunday

I decided to return to the farm from Saturday, and have a look at the situation. I arrived about 7.00 am and yet again, there were hundreds about and I set up in a slightly different spot. Had to move after shooting 62 and the the birds came in slowly for a couple of hours and then just switched off. Total shot 87.

I then moved on to another farm and set up by a silage pit with my rimfire, I shot 17 blackies and 7 magpies. It was about 7,00 pm by then and the farmer came down and asked me to move places as he was letting his cows out into the fields. I decided to have a drive round the farm for a couple of hours looking for rabbits. I shot 6 rabbits and then dropped them off to the farmer.

Total shot

111 x birds

6 x rabbits

d840f672-c612-4299-b96d-a520c4fe07d7_zps

On the way home I checked on the barley field and there was about 50 pigeons, spread all over the place.

Got home about 10.00pm

Monday

I had to do a 45 mile round trip to a farm where the farmer had rung me on Sunday saying there was hundreds of blackies flying about. I got there at 6.30am and stayed for 2 hours and shot 4. What a waste of time that was, but I had to show willing.

I then drove to the Barley stubble field and there were a few pigeons flying about. I setup along the top hedgerow with the wind directly behind me.

I put out the full monty. 20 assorted decoys, flapper, magnet, floaters and angel spreaders.

The birds started coming in straight away. I had some superb sport. High birds, far birds, doubles, and trebles. I hardly stopped shooting all day. Just about had time for a couple of drinks. I had shot 184 pigeons by 6.00 pm and then was joined by my mate Tim. He set up about 50 yds along the hedgerow from me and we shot right up until 9.15 pm.

I ended up with 216 shot and Tim had 21.

Total

237 x birds. (208 picked)

pigeons3_zpszilrwuov.jpg

tiptop6_zps4ccfwu20.jpg

Again, I got home about 10.00pm.

What a mega 3 days.

Total

466 x birds

6 x Rabbits

Absolutely enjoyed every minute. A lot of hours, and a lot of miles; but what the heck.

Farmers will be well happy when I send them the pictures.

Dave K

Edited by Topgunners