How much £££ should I be spending on a .243 scope?

BangBangNik

Nothing wrong with the nikko scope included in your package, I had one with my Howa package and I've just bought another to go on my Ruger, however if you are going to sell the scope straight away for what you will get for it, you would be better off just buying the rifle and NOT the package and then getting the scope of your choice

Meopta 7 x 50. Simple fixed mag, good low light gathering, very decent scope without paying German money.

You shot very very well when you used mine.....

+ 1

bang on bud ! Meopta 7 x 50, I use mine for lamping fox , deer and long range (200-250) vermin.

I have had scopes with all the bells and whistles on....but nothing beats a good quality fixed mag the 7 x 50 being the best I have found , the biggest point is getting used to range estimation with a fixed mag scope is sooo much easier than through a variable mag .

I junked a nikko stirling diamond variable mag in favour of my meopta

Edited by lordripon

im far from an expert on rifle shooting matters , i can only put forward my own experience.

about ten years ago , i bought a secondhand , howa 1500 sporter for £150 , with it i bought a secondhand t8 mod for £50 , i bought a 8 x 56 cheap (£50 with mounts) chinese scope from fox firearms ,and , i spent £30 getting a trigger job at swift precision rifles , and , i have recently added one of those £50 green rubbery stocks that i think is great.

it doesnt look nearly as flash as most other .243 set ups that ive seen , and the scope certainly isnt as good as something costing £1,000 , but , i shoot two or three deer each year and around twenty foxes (the last one i shot was around 1am this morning with pw member guppy on the lamp , it was taken at 150 yrds ish).

we all have different ideas about our shooting gear , this set up wouldnt suit a lot of the guys on here , but , it suits me very well.

Out of interest what are people's thoughts on stainless barrel V's blued steel? Maybe a question for another thread.

In use no different other than in theory you don't worry quite as much about the stainless in the wet. In practice it still needs to be looked after, don't worry about any shine etc as it just never seems to make a difference.

I got a 1500 308 varmint in stainless, I was informed they clean easier, when shooting the new rifle in you can see the crown turn straw coloured. It does clean faster and with less patches than my blued steel rifles.The barrel will still get rust spots and need a could wipe with oil tho as they aren't pure stainless and will still get spots of rust if not cared for.

im far from an expert on rifle shooting matters , i can only put forward my own experience.

about ten years ago , i bought a secondhand , howa 1500 sporter for £150 , with it i bought a secondhand t8 mod for £50 , i bought a 8 x 56 cheap (£50 with mounts) chinese scope from fox firearms ,and , i spent £30 getting a trigger job at swift precision rifles , and , i have recently added one of those £50 green rubbery stocks that i think is great.

it doesnt look nearly as flash as most other .243 set ups that ive seen , and the scope certainly isnt as good as something costing £1,000 , but , i shoot two or three deer each year and around twenty foxes (the last one i shot was around 1am this morning with pw member guppy on the lamp , it was taken at 150 yrds ish).

we all have different ideas about our shooting gear , this set up wouldnt suit a lot of the guys on here , but , it suits me very well.

Foxy isn't going to know how shiney your gun is.

The grade of stainless used will rust, not as quick as chrome moly steel used in blued but should be treated with equal care non the less. Easy clean? debateable in my opinion as it depends far more on the internal bore finish. stainless will be less effected by blood and wont suffer from worn off bluing.

I always used to tape over stainless barrels because I believe them more visible against natural backgrounds but high polish deeply applied blue is like a signal mirror if it catches the sun during a daylight stalk or wait.

Hi BangBangNick

Give John from Aimfieldsports a ring, top bloke he will put you right + ask him about the Sightron range quality scopes.

the guy knows his onions and has spent a good amount of time out in the field actually doing it

Another brand to look at is Yukon. They have started a range of day scopes. All 30mm tubes and a very fair price. I took a punt on a demo 2-12x56 illuminated centre dot £235.00 delivered. So far it's been very good on my .308. I've seen a 7x50 for less than £250