B T Question Please

marsh man

Since we had the storms over the weekend ( when one clap of thunder sounded as if it was on the roof ) our main line phone has been off . You can dial on the phone and its goes through the process until it come to ringing then it goes blank .

My wife rang B T on our mobile today and after a long conversation the chap said somebody will come round Friday morning , no problem up to now , he then said if its a problem in the house it will cost £130.00 .

I was under the impression the only thing I owned was my phone and everything else belonged to B T which I thought we were renting , so why do I have to pay if there is something wrong with there fittings ? , and if there is any way around it ?

Thanks for any help and advice .

They quote that price to put folks off getting the job done as there are some folks who take the ****,ask the engineer when he turns up.

My mother had a fault on her line and they said there was no fault showing,she has a pendant alarm that is connected to phone should she take tumble,so it had to be done I was prepared to pay,but luckily the fault was BT`s problem.

Edited by Linus

Can people ring in or does it cut off after one ring could be skt lighting blows them regularly

Also the part about the cost to yourself is part of the script no matter what fault you are reporting they are then covered if you try to say that was not explained to me

Can people ring in or does it cut off after one ring could be skt lighting blows them regularly

Also the part about the cost to yourself is part of the script no matter what fault you are reporting they are then covered if you try to say that was not explained to me

HI HAMMER 189 ......... No , if I try to ring my number there is a engaged tone , sorry, but is skt lighting ?

Thanks.

No skt not lighting protected if you are getting engaged tone there is a short circuit on line the callers phones see,s yours as being used so gives engaged tone

Could be skt or maybe exchange equiptment

If caused by lighting strike could have been miles away it travels till it finds a weak point in the network

It's very common to get broadband but no phone due to only needing one cable in tact out of the pair for broadband. If you have had a surge due to lightning it's possible the socket will have blown but I have also seen the insulation melted on cabling at pole causing short. Are you overhead fed or underground?

Where abouts are you?

Hi Carman06... In Great Yarmouth , Norfolk.

Have you tried plugging your phone into the main box? its bt up to the main box, yours after the main box.

Hi peck.... Yes , Our phone do go into the box B T installed . Thanks

If there is a problem bung the engineer a tenner and it will disappear like magic.

Hi Vince ...... I would, but I am out Friday , so my wife is likely to cough up :no: Thanks

Saw that storm from where we are near Loddon - awesome! We have ongoing problems with BT but if you can get an engineer to the house they usually resolve w/o cost hassle. We had a phone line/broadband problem which they estimated would cost £2-4k to sort! When, following complaint from us, they put it into writing it rose to £42,400!! Engineer arrived to understand issue, swapped our 2 lines around (5mins) and sorted problem for free!

If you were closer I could have sorted for you but as long as you have followed the test they ask by testing the master socket behind the front plate this shows the fault is within the Openreach network. If you are overhead it may be in the DP.

If you were closer I could have sorted for you but as long as you have followed the test they ask by testing the master socket behind the front plate this shows the fault is within the Openreach network. If you are overhead it may be in the DP.

Thanks for your kind offer if you had been closer........ much appreciated .

Yes we followed the test they required by taking the front plate off , which didn't really tell us anything , and yes Carman we are overhead .

Thanks.

The capacitor in socket could be fried. But also any part of the wiring too. The good news is that if you have put a phone into the master socket and still no joy( and no cowboy has wired extension directly to back of NTE5 backplate) it's indicating fault is in the Openreach network and not yours. Maybe a simple socket change. Or even new drop wire from socket to DP. Hopefully DP is not blown but if it was others coming of same pole would likely be experiencing same problem. When engineer comes he will prob plug into socket with His test set and do a line check which will show where a short is and how far away. Depending on the pre line test done before he gets job as that may allready indicate a fault outside etc maybe in can so access wouldn't neccesarily be required.