The Price of Pigeons?

Boofy999

Yes me too , the price of pigeon has not altered a great deal either .

I have still got a old 1976 Shooting Times which at the time cost 25 pence , on the back George Hull at Boston and Frost Game near mine were advertising for a million Pigeons paying 30p each and 10p for small ones , at the time we had loads of ole tame pigeons coming on to the pea fields that were near to the town and to pass the time while we were waiting for the woodies we shot them through the hide net with our air guns that were B S A Airsporter and a Webley Mark 3 both under lever 2 2s.

All the shot ones went to Frost Game which more than paid for the slugs and the petrol taking them up there , now a Shooting Times is £2.40 and we are still getting 30p. although I don't mind as long as there is a market and a demand for pigeons so nothing I shoot is wasted and the money I get back help with the cartridge expense .

I get 50p in the feather from a couple of gastro pubs and 75p from a local butcher for pigeon crowns, the pubs can take up to 50 each but the butcher will only take up to 21 at a time as he likes to sell them fresh and not from the freezer he sells them in packs of 3 for £4.50.

The last lot I sold I got a pound a bird which I thought was a very good price,that was at a local restaurant and he took thirty, but I gave him forty.That`s why I wondered how much the game dealer charged.

It's all very well people getting good money for 30/40 from a pub or butchers but that's not much use for someone who might shoot 1000+ a year (some people a LOT more), in which case it's simply a case of taking what the big game dealers are prepared to pay.....most hardly do it for the money but I wouldn't shoot pigeons I had no outlet for.

Is there any licencing/authorisation/legislation/authentication with regards to the selling of shot pigeons?

Or is it just a case of finding a buyer?

Martin

I believe you should have a hunter I.D. which allows you to sell into the food chain, also register with your local council who will inspect you and your process. " but if you give to friends this is not required"

I get 25p per bird,fresh,throughout the year from a dealer.But I have a 42 mile round trip to deliver !

Local pubs and restaraunts aren't interested;,no appetite for ' game ' around here,we are not the Chilterns,Cotswolds,South Downs,Home Counties etc being just in The Northern Powerhouse .I cannot even give them away to the poor of the Parish who seem happier patronising the local food banks !.We therefore have some fat foxes and low flying buzzards....

I think that is only if you do any preparation, i.e. breasting.

I believe you should have a hunter I.D. which allows you to sell into the food chain, also register with your local council who will inspect you and your process. " but if you give to friends this is not required"

Whats a "Hunter I.D." .. who does the vetting, who oversees it.

Whats a "Hunter I.D." .. who does the vetting, who oversees it.

It's a Game Meat Hygiene Course run by the NGO( the National Game keepers Organisation) and others . As the title explains it instructs you how the handle game in the field , identify concerns with the meat ,how to store prior to sale and identify and record locations from which the meat was obtained.Once you have attended and passed the exam you are issued with a Hunter I.D. Which is then quoted to allow food tracibility when the meat is entered into the food chain.