Permission slips

mike69

i finished work at 4.30 so I thought I might give one of my new permissions a try

Was there half a hour then I heard sirens

Didn't think nothing of it so I carried on

Then two coppers jumped over the gate and shouted me to go over so i put the safety on the gun and walked

Over

We have have phone calls saying there is someone with a gun in a field

So the wallet come out permission slip and Basc card there you go office

Did a persons check all fine thank you off they go

I'm so glad I took my wallet

Why did you have to put the safety on, it should have been on already. The normal practice would be to open and remove cartridges from a shotgun (just empty a semi-auto) or remove bullets and leave the bolt open on a rifle. Either way it was a good outcome for you, no armed response or helicopters.

I thought I was going to get a nasty surprise the other night when I was out lamping and a helicopter made a line straight for me. I stopped where I was and when they got 100 yards or so from me did a u turn and off they went. Not sure what they were doing but I was waiting for the spotlight to come on.

To be fair I have been shooting with a rifle for the last 10 years and never let the cops know I am out and about but this is a more rural area and I have never been stopped or approached by the Police. Well done on your reaction to it all.

Its not set in law that you have to inform the police every time you go out shooting. It would be good practice though if it was near to something like a cycle track or public right of way as there's always gonna be some one that will phone up.

Nowadays I don't carry my licence and docks anymore as this can all be checked by a quick call to their headquarters as it's all on the P N C. permission slips are ok but if you happen to be shooting on land that your licence was granted on " firearm only" they will already know. We have some people trying to cause problems when we are out on the marsh during the wild fowl season.

Its not set in law that you have to inform the police every time you go out shooting. It would be good practice though if it was near to something like a cycle track or public right of way as there's always gonna be some one that will phone up.

Nowadays I don't carry my licence and docks anymore as this can all be checked by a quick call to their headquarters as it's all on the P N C. permission slips are ok but if you happen to be shooting on land that your licence was granted on " firearm only" they will already know. We have some people trying to cause problems when we are out on the marsh during the wild fowl season.

Hi inthought it was illegal not to carry your licence when out with your gun

I don't shoot over land yet but wouldn't it be a good idea if there was a short code text number where you could send details when your out shooting and again when finished. Just with say an identification number, location and time for eg. The police could then check the system if someone phones up to report it and they would know someone is there.

Just an idea.