Crow shooting near farm and village

I have a chance to offer some rook control on a dairy farm that is overrun with rooks. Problem is, it is on edge of a busy village. Considering getting a hushpower...but only if farmer will buy the shells. Anyone any experience of the hushpower guns...what do people use for rooks round farms....20 or 12 gauge?? Walked round yesterday and could have shot a few with a 410 but assume they would soon be wary and need a gauge with more range.

Ive shot 1000s of corvids and mainly used 20g and 12g :good: but also used .410 with good results,but you will have to get the birds in a bit closer.

I guess you will be decoying them in :hmm: concentrate on a good hide keep movement to a minimum and you should have a good result :good: BB

Because its a dairy farm and the birds want to be there, I would have thought using a air rifle might be a good solution,more cost effective,and will solve the noise issue :good:

Or get the farmer to buy a roll of chicken wire and you could knock up a cage trap/ladder trap,the noise issue would be solved and it will catch 24-7 and should soon make a good dent in the population :yes: I know short term it will spoil the shooting for yourself,but I reckon long term if you sorted this problem for your farmer it could lead to more shooting :yes: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

I use a Hushpower 20ga around dairy farms near houses and with the general noise of the farm, the noise of the shots is lost.

Obviously don't fire towards the houses and I choose days when the wind is blowing away from the houses.

The birds will get spooky after a while and the suggestion of using the air rifle first is a good one.

I have about 8 locations on the outskirts of the buildings and I move around them during a session.

Ask about "feeding in" times, because that is when the birds come in by habit.

Its quite spooky watching them flying in and sitting on the buildings waiting for the silage machine to start.

If there are any adjoining fields (usually some grazing) check them out for hedges etc., where you could set up and decoy birds, or ambush them on their way into the farm buildings.

The same goes for arable fields, my dairy farmers also grow barley and maize, they are also good shooting spots.

A ladder trap would certainly work, but I haven't suggested it, as I know I would be expected to maintain it (daily ?).

In your case the farmer might do that.

I have a chance to offer some rook control on a dairy farm that is overrun with rooks. Problem is, it is on edge of a busy village. Considering getting a hushpower...but only if farmer will buy the shells. Anyone any experience of the hushpower guns...what do people use for rooks round farms....20 or 12 gauge?? Walked round yesterday and could have shot a few with a 410 but assume they would soon be wary and need a gauge with more range.

How much are you paying the farmer to shoot ?

How much are you paying the farmer to shoot ?

I assume your comment is suggesting that the OP should not expect the farmer to supply , or assist in the cost of, the cartridges.

Its my experience that some farmers will assist in the cost of cartridges, Gamebore Hushpower cartridges are currently £300 per 1000 , which is no small sum.

The farmer gets the VAT back and at 20% off the gross price, it makes the £240 net price look more attractive.

Its always worth asking.

If a farmer offers then all well and good, but I would not dream of asking for cartridges or telling a farmer I will only shoot the corvids if he provides the cartridges ,you are doing each other a favour after all .

By stating " Only if the farmer buys the shells" I presume that is what is meant , you are shooting their land free of charge for your own pleasure , why should you expect them to give you cartridges as well !

Would the OP offer the farmer some money if he had shot more than enough pigeons to pay for his cartridges ? I think not.

Good luck if they buy you cartridges, I am happy with a few eggs now and again and the help and trust some have in going on there land, sometimes move bails for you and having keys to gates of some, more than enough for me as the shooting is free, ( apart from the bottles at Christmas )

Be careful as there is people will step in your shoes and pay to shoot, me and my shooting pal (who is no longer with us) witnessed this

I assume your comment is suggesting that the OP should not expect the farmer to supply , or assist in the cost of, the cartridges.

Its my experience that some farmers will assist in the cost of cartridges, Gamebore Hushpower cartridges are currently £300 per 1000 , which is no small sum.

The farmer gets the VAT back and at 20% off the gross price, it makes the £240 net price look more attractive.

Its always worth asking.

This is a large dairy farm that has an ever increasing number of rooks on it. I will be diplomatic but I know the farm manager well and I would hope he is willing to get the cartridges on the farm account in exchange for the time and effort I will put in. If the location was different and I could use my standard gun and cartridges then I wouldn't ask for shells. I expect nothing in return for the pigeon shooting I do and get nothing in return.

some of my farmers give me cartridges, they're just happy someones giving it to the birds.

I sometimes shoot fairly close to villages, houses etc, my opinion is we're in the country, this stuff needs to happen... suck it up!

Edited by thepasty

I shoot with a retired chap and the farmer would pay for all his carts,and sometimes he would shoot upto 4k carts a month :yes: He just went to the dealers picked up the shells when he needed them, and the dealer billed the farmer direct :yes: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

I'd expect getting laughed at if I asked a farmer to buy shells.

Is there anyone here that expects/experiences this?

I've never asked, and I'd never even consider asking.

A farmer I shoot for does occasionally ask if I want something towards my costs, as I clear through a few hundred rabbits a year for him. However I just tell him that I'm happy to be outside doing it all, and it's an enjoyable hobby as far as I'm concerned.

If I go foxing for a smallholder they usually offer to pay me, but I just say that I wouldn't be happy taking money. I'll happily accept a couple of bottles of beer, however.

ive been offered cartridges and petrol money on a few occasions over the years , ive never accepted , however , i gratefully accept , bags of spuds , free range eggs , home grown pork , hay for ferret bedding etc.