Friday Evening Rabbits

belly47

Popped out to one of our horse paddock permissions last night with my pals Ian and Worzel to clear up a few rabbits.

The fairly strong wind was not in our favour really as it was blowing directly towards the train track hedgerow where most of the bunnies are to be found, and initially I thought we would not see that many.

I was using my CZ 452 .22lr and the other boys were using air rifles.

About 8.30 the wind died to virtually nothing and we started to see some action, the air rifle boys can shoot most of the permission without too many worries but I can only really shoot in the one direction safely.

We shot till dark and had 17 in the bag at that point, so after gutting them all Ian and Worzel called it a night.

I decided to have a stroll about with my EVO built nightvision to see if I could add a few more to the tally.

Ive only been to this new permission 3 times and its amazing how different it feels in total darkness, so being extra cautious with the shots I decided to take I managed to add another half a dozen or so to the the bag.

On my walk back to one of the barns where we gut the rabbits I saw at least 3 different foxes wandering around, I watched them for ages through the nightvision and used a mouth caller occasionally to see how they reacted, unfortunately the area I was in, is the area with the most horses about and I could not get to a position where I could have a shot, the foxes were circling around me but always around the horses enclosures. so maybe next time i will use my U caller and try to get them to an area where they can be safely dealt with.

I ended up with around 25 rabbits i would guess ( did not do a final count as was late and i was knackered !! )

Took them to the butcher this morning about 7.30 and got a few quid for them, this is the first time i have sold any to a butchers as usually i don't get this many so keep them for use at home.

IMG-20150717-WA0004-1_zpspyr6t71v.jpg

this is me after carting these particular rabbits from one end of the permission to the other hence why i look a bit dishevelled, how many chins can you count ? answers on a postcard :lol::lol: :lol:

20150717_235218_zpsug54unav.jpg

A few of the nightvision bunnies along with pigeon watch game bag (cant believe i did not get the PW logo on the bag in the shot!))

20150717_221103_zpsnspjzvqi.jpg

The evenings bag.

A productive evening, and congratulations on setting up a deal with your butcher :good:

thanks very much, I was pleased with the butcher too, I visited a couple and they were not interested at all really, and I made a phone call to another not far from me and on the phone they said yeah no problem £2 for big and £1 for small.(gutted not skinned)

the ones I took I thought were all large to be honest but as I said I didn't even know exactly how many I had (will be more thorough next time) but I thought its more about building a relationship with the butcher, so if he had the better deal this time so be it.

for me its not really about how much I get to be fair, I just like to see whats shot enter the food chain, and the permission we shot on Friday I knew I would have too many to make use of personally.

Edited by belly47

thanks very much, I was pleased with the butcher too, I visited a couple and they were not interested at all really, and I made a phone call to another not far from me and on the phone they said yeah no problem £2 for big and £1 for small.(gutted not skinned)

the ones I took I thought were all large to be honest but as I said I didn't even know exactly how many I had (will be more thorough next time) but I thought its more about building a relationship with the butcher, so if he had the better deal this time so be it.

for me its not really about how much I get to be fair, I just like to see whats shot enter the food chain, and the permission we shot on Friday I knew I would have too many to make use of personally.

£2 each :( I'm missing out giving all mine away lol