Missing the "Easy ones"

Boofy999

Remember that all pigeons in flight are moving and rarely fly straight down your barrel, so always need some swing/lead. Recently I missed what looked an easy pigeon as it that looked stationary, fluttering above the decoys as I just pointed the gun and fired....and missed. You need to observe the movement then swing the gun accordingly. On skeet I have been routinely missing the first bird (high trap overhead). Looks an easy shot but I routinely stop my swing once I pass through the bird as appears to be little movement.....and keep missing. Best thing you can do is identify shots you struggle with and practice on clays. I had 40 shots on the skeet first stand the other week...scary how long it took me to hit them consistently as I tried different methods.

Really? I thought you would have had that one sorted a bit sooner.

Yep so did I. Had 25 shots, then paid for another 25. Amazed I kept missing them. Had 30 shots when I missed more than I hit then hit 10 on the run so moved on. People claim to miss easy shots...but no particular shot is easy. On the clays, I hate slow loopers that just float up and down again. Just don't know how to hit them yet they seem easy targets.

Been through the same thing myself, it's torture, very frustrating.

If the wad did indeed hit it up the bum your shot was long gone before the bird even got there... but that's not the point, you can't gauge anything accurately from the speed/direction of your wad because you could fire 10 shots exactly the same and each 10 wads will go in different directions at different speed.

Anyway despite that, contrary to some other suggestions I think you're putting far too much lead on it. Next one of those you get try to get just in front of it. see how that works?

Just a thought could your gun mount be all over the place because your rushing for the shot .with out pw members seeing the bird in question its hard to answer. for my self i would point and have the pigeon 4 inch above the rib of the gun (depending on range ) of the bird as above i would go to a local clay ground and practise the over head birds and then you will get and idea .just one more thing you could be shooting in the right place but by the time you pulled the trigger the bird could jink up or drop down resulting in shooting below or over the top because your pattern hasn't opened up (depending if the over head shot becomes a going away target ).

Edited by Shooterluke

Boofy999,

sounds like you have had some good days shooting and some good advice off the guys on PW, the reason we often miss the easiest of targets opposed to the long fast target is concentration and gun mount as Shooterluke mentioned.

with going away or straight incomers you will often lift your head as you watch the bird above the gun, once your cheek lifts off you are looking down on the rib so you tilt the gun up and miss above the bird. if its a fast approaching bird the accidental extra lead will often help but most times they get by unscathed.

concentrate each time you lift the gun, it is the same at the clay ground, you enter a stand that appears easy, you don't concentrate as you think you can easily hit 8 out of 8. you miss the first 3 then get your head down and concentrate and manage to hit 5 out of 8, Sound familiar??

hope this helps

Flycoy

I've had some fantastic shooting lately and I consider myself very lucky. I can't thank all the members on the forum enough for all the advice and tips that I've had! If any members are local to Somerset and would like to have a day out with me I would be delighted to take them out...... And hopefully learn some more! 😉

Also, you will notice, some days you just seem to miss. BUT, in fact you often haven't missed, but the bird has gone through a hole in the pattern, or not been hit by enough pellets in a vital zone. This is particularly true with corvids, as they are exceptional robust birds, and will often fly on after being hit, to drop dead anything up to a mile away.

I remember back 3-4 years. A mate and I were shooting at the top of a hill over freshly sown barley, and we seemed to be "missing" about 60% of what we were shooting at.

Only in the afternoon when the farmer came up to us was the mystery solved.

All the "missed" birds had flown on and dropped on a school about 5-600 metres away.

The playing fields, road, and the building were covered in well over 100 dead crows and rooks, while we only recovered 80 from the barley field between us

Edited by Redditch