Fox Snares

Hi,

I recently went to purchase a few fox snares from a local gun shop, but the product on the shelf was not what I was expecting.

Whilst I appreciate legislation differs across the UK, my understanding is that a fox snare legal for use in England must have a fixed stop. The 'Bisley' snares in stock did not have a stop but had a tiny washer and nut running free on the wire instead. There was also a small length of plastic tubing, but I presume this was to make it easier to hold on a tealer. I was able to tighten the snare completely around my thumb.

I queried the above and it was agreed that no stop was in place, nor could one be engineered out of the available parts that would hold against any resistance. A quick look at the picture supplied by Bisley showed a bag of the little black metal rectangles that one would use to anchor the snare to a stake and it was decided by the staff in the shop that these were the stops that were missing. A phone call to Bisley apparently confirmed this.

Please see the photograph below that shows the snares and the bag of supposed stops. I think I can also make out a tiny stop which was not present on the snares in the shop.

SNF10-large_image.gif

Am I being daft and missing a trick here?

Many thanks,

FM

Had the son in law pick up some snares from local farm supplier, looked felt heavy duty, a bit thicker than normal but had a fox hit one and nipple pulled strait of.

Checked them all and they were just pressed on by a single indent, (now fitted to British standards)

There's some rubbish out there.

I don't think you are missing anything, the snares are.

The bag of double hole plates are for fixing to your anchor point what ever it may be.

The choke stop (for want of a better word) should have been fitted to snare before it was threaded thru swivel and nipple fitted.

Certainly wouldn't use them in this day and age,

The small nut on the wire is the stop, it just needs crimping in place. Its up to the user to set the stop in the appropriate place to make the snare legal, see the Fox Snaring Code of Practice below. The snares I bought were not from Bisley, but had a similar nut as a stop. I crushed them on to the wire with a hammer and they work fine.

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?doc=110661&id=110662

Thank-you for the replies.

It does amaze me though that a product is marketed that could so easily leave a user in hot water for effectively setting an illegal snare... especially when the company supplying them to retailers clearly don't have a clue about them either, as evidenced by the lady at Bisley incorrectly stating the anchor plate was the stop.