Improvement needed

ollie

My mate has a springer, it is nearly 2 years old, it is a great worker, a great retrevier, very obedient but it does have one major flaw.

When out rough shooting with my mate i noticed that the dog is wary of going into steep sided burns (about 4 foot high) and i have yet to see this happening to a springer.

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated by my mate.

Ollie:

Haveing never seen this dog I can only summerize, so here it goes.

To venture an educated guess, or un educated you choose, I would say that this dog has never been trained, in these burns. Most of his hunting is probably done on a level area where he is not closed in. Wing clip a couple of pheasants and let him see you toss them into the burn. He will be able to chase them around in there getting use to the confines with a distraction of a running bird. You can move to shooting some thrown Ferel Pigeons after this , shoot them so that they land in the burn or on the far side of the burn. This way he must work or cross the area to get his reward, the retreive. Remember this may take anywhere from 6 to 20 sessions to have him feeling comfortable working in these areas.

Good luck and remember...Keep it FUN