Solo practice

dbob

How popular is this with PW users? I've been doing it more recently as my shooting pal works most weekends during the summer. I find it a bit hit and miss (pun intended!) to be honest. My performance seems to be worse when shooting alone, not sure if trapping for yourself causes loss of focus and it's just another thing to fiddle with and think about. I also find I tend to rush through my shots as there's no natural break between stands. Any strategies or tips for solo shooters?

I'd say take your time

Pick out your stands and go for frequent refreshment breaks

Also when solo shooting a lot of people go off the focus of actually hitting the clay and more about the buttoning

I found that by loading my cartridges first and having the button in the pocket as well by the time you press the button your have time to mount and prepare for the target

Also make sure that your foot position is correct for were you will be hitting the clay

This again will help if you have the button in your pocket

I normally clip it to my pocket and someone left it clipped to the cage and thought I could just be lazy and press it off the cage and I could not hit any of them, clipped it to my pocket and hit 3 pairs in a row off it. once you get used to it it will be fine! Shot at crabtree the other day and was on my own and a guy there said I should stand on the button as there was no delay, was very odd but got on ok.

The only problem is that you soon get tired shooting with no breaks. You can also use a lot of clays.

So true, before I knew it I had blasted through 150 carts in over an hour. At AGL at 40p a pop that wasn't funny! I think the key is I need to slow down, take my time a bit more and have a break maybe half way through.

So true, before I knew it I had blasted through 150 carts in over an hour. At AGL at 40p a pop that wasn't funny! I think the key is I need to slow down, take my time a bit more and have a break maybe half way through.

I shot AGL a couple of months ago, on my own also.

I actually quite enjoyed it as I could really take my time and there was absolutely no pressure other than that I put on myself... lol.

spent quite a bit of time on the high tower shooting the long driven clays as I have previously had issues with them.

used 100 clays, shot 83 for 110 cartridges.

the key is, as previously mentioned, just relax and take as much time as you want. :good:

Disturbance to your normal, ‘Pre-shot routine’ can be a major contributing factor to a lack of consistency. I myself always arrive at the ground alone and then ask any other shooters that appear to be starting their round if I can, ‘Squad up’ with them, this has been my approach for many years and I have rarely encountered a problem! :good:

Shot at crabtree the other day and was on my own and a guy there said I should stand on the button as there was no delay, was very odd but got on ok.

Doesn't do the buttons any good though. Plus the next person up gets a button covered in sheep carp , mud and other goodies!

Crabtree are getting a counter system so hopefully they might also have solo release function.

I only ever shoot alone but I go places with clay mate delay systems plenty of time and it releases the second clay of the pair so it's like having it on report.

I use claymate delay but how do you release the second clay automatically? I push A or B, 3 beeps and then it releases. I then do the same for the second bird, am I doing it wrong?

Guest Wilksy

I go on my own a lot, try to get my none shooting mates interested but there always busy! Like you say, can burn 100 clays an hour, I don't mind solo shooting as I love being on my own pigeon shooting it's just clays are more social I think!

As said, standing on the buttons doesn't do anyone any favours for the reasons given, plus, the need to stand on two separate buttons on different report targets can be very off-putting. One button under each foot? Not ideal really in my opinion, and if it's raining they'll eventually be pushed into the mire; not something you'll be thanked for.

To be honest I did the foot press thing for one stand after being told about it and im sure anyone who shoots there knows that alot of the stands are on uneven ground so doing it by foot without falling over was interesting! just shot loads of singles hand pressed which had a while to get to me.

• 7 months later...