Solo practice

dbob

Actually, I'm highjacking the thread here due to an opposite experience! So far Mrs and I have shot 'country' grounds, with pretty much nobody around at all. This sunday we went in Burnham beeches for a 60 clay shoot, with something like 200 people, queues and so on and we were completely out of our depth; while we usually take all the time in the world, chat, faff around, shoot 20 on a stand and so on here we had to be on the ball, keep count, with 20 people watching etc...

Thought it was a lot more stressful. The Mrs (who's actually reasonably good normally) had a really bad day, as she was one of perhaps 3 ladies on the ground too, so she felt everyone was watching her, that didn't help... We were on borrowed guns too, and one of them had an auto-safety-of-hell to make it even more embarrassing :-)

Brrrr. I think we'll retire to the countryside for a while ;-) Shooting alone, or as a pair, bliss! :-)

Edited by buze

High Lodge - Bidwell's. Near Halesworth in Suffolk.

I always shoot on my own - Got no friends...

Go on a Tuesday morning and have the place to my self.

Take my time and only shoot the stands that represent game or fowling.

Take a pack of sarnies and a flask and take it as a day out.

Never keep a score card.

End of the day I say to myself - Well if they were pheasants or duck then I would go home with a smile on my face!

I never count the misses - They are irrelevant.

Use the time delay.

Edited by Grandalf

High Lodge - Bidwell's. Near Halesworth in Suffolk.

I always shoot on my own - Got no friends...

Go on a Tuesday morning and have the place to my self.

Take my time and only shoot the stands that represent game or fowling.

Take a pack of sarnies and a flask and take it as a day out.

Never keep a score card.

End of the day I say to myself - Well if they were pheasants or duck then I would go home with a smile on my face!

I never count the misses - They are irrelevant.

Use the time delay.

This pretty much sums up clay shooting for me!

I tend to shoot on grounds with trappers if shooting solo. I have found that if i go towards the end oif the day and dont have to queue that my scores are a lot better, less queues = better round. i find I lose my concentration less if i dont have to queue. Since most of the Essex mafia have given into other more Bumda pastimes I have been shooting a lot on my own, not very sociable but i have developed reasonable skill at clays over the last few years and would like to retain it.

• 2 months later...

Been shooting solo on a few occasions lately at the Mid Wales Shooting Center -- with the timer set to 2 seconds. For sporting it's pretty straightforward with the buttons in my pocket. I try to hit a pair of singles, then a pair of simo (if they are possible) before switching stands..

I also been 'working' on the skeet range, where you can burn a LOT of cartridges like that! I mean, a LOT. Shot 350 total last friday alone...

But, for skeet, it's works pretty well for training, to get in the 'zone' and try to break the clays out of instincts. In any case I went from a measly 14 at skeet a few weeks ago when I started to 21 just yesterday (and I know there's probably a couple I /should/ have hit, so are in easy reach)... Keeping the posture and the concentration seems to be the 'key' when working solo, it's seems to be easy to 'relax' and miss...

I don't know how other people improve tho, what's the alternative? What do people do for training?

Edited by buze