Stinky pigeon

henry_o

Hi ladies/gents,

Went for a walk round my Osr fields today to keep the pigeons off them and shot a few good high birds. This bird in the picture looked healthy and flew fine going at speed well up, but when I picked him up it smelt a bit. I thought maybe it's had a pellet in the gut but upon emptying the crop I came across what's in the picture. Almost like worms or a parasite maybe? They had weird heads on and absolutely stank of ****. I cut one open with a Stanley and it had a smelly liquid in. The whole crop was disgusting. Is it something it's eaten or is it something more sinister? Never seen it before and I'm a farmer who has shot plenty of pigeons to date.

post-26181-0-01521000-1438277416_thumb.jpg

Edited by henry_o

They had little extrusions on their heads though, definitely weren't standard earth worms. They had flat ends on. The crop had some horrid bile stuff in it too. I did watch them for 30 secs to see if they were moving at all but didn't see them do anything