Scotlands air guns come April

gazere

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for the licencing of airguns. If you can meet the criteria you will be granted a licence -same as firearm or shotgun certificate.Can't see the problem REALLY !!.

yes , but what about those who cant make the criteria ??? , someone whom cant get a shotgun licence so has taken air rifle shooting up as a sport and hobbie,,,

think it would be a little unfair on those people , don't you,

to me its just another money making racket

I'm all for the licencing of airguns. If you can meet the criteria you will be granted a licence -same as firearm or shotgun certificate.Can't see the problem REALLY !!.

And if you can't meet the criteria you'll just use the one you have stored in the cupboard........

Licencing will not reduce misuse, it just places a tax on law abiding shooters and limits the appeal of shooting to the younger audience which will really damage the grass roots.

Laws are already in place to deal with people who misuse them.

Has the criteria actually been defined yet (good cause, vermin control etc) or will they make it up as they go along !!

Edit = from another thread it won't be target shooting in clubs, according to the poster there are no clubs in Scotland, same guy said plinking would not be allowed either. May be just the chaps interpretation but.....!!!

Edited by Sha Bu Le

But a lot of those who already have air rifles don't meet the criteria; and as such they wont be applying for licenses.

The point everyone is trying to make is that those who want to abide by the law and have a genuine wish for them will apply for licenses, but, as no one knows what the criteria is no one can be guaranteed they will be granted a license, and in such cases as they are refused they will be left with no alternative but to dispose of their ( until then ) legally held firearms, with no recourse for compensation.

Those who don't want to abide by the law will be unaffected, and merely continue as before.

The rifles are already out there in their hundreds of thousands; it's far too late for licensing.

In our local rag just this morning there is an article regarding some persons who have been driving around shooting at vehicles with air guns of some description at oncoming vehicles and various other targets. This is already illegal. To suggest that the introduction of a license will somehow prevent this simply doesn't add up.

Anyone who is intent on shooting at people or their pets or property certainly isn't going to be put off by the threat of being prosecuted for not having a license.

There are many airgun clubs in Scotland and perhaps unsurprisingly they will all shortly have a waiting list for entry, if they don't already.

By including the need for good reason in the legislation effectively wrote off the chances of getting a license for many.

Unless you have land to shoot over or are involved in a legit sporting club the you're stuffed.

I actually think this will cause many just to put the gun in the loft and forget about it until such time as a good reason may crop up.

Why wouldn't they do that, who would know?

Edited by grrclark

Has the criteria actually been defined yet (good cause, vermin control etc) or will they make it up as they go along !!

Edit = from another thread it won't be target shooting in clubs, according to the poster there are no clubs in Scotland, same guy said plinking would not be allowed either. May be just the chaps interpretation but.....!!!

Shooting at targets in your back garden will be banned in Scotland!

Maybe, just maybe the shooters in England and Wales will show enough passion and defeat the ridiculous notion...........

I for one will be willing to march on in London if the day comes.

What damned good will that do? Not London that is the problem but that rank fish in Edinburgh! You might as well organise a march in Saint Helier, at least it would be VAT and Duty free!

If and when the licencing becomes clear will there be a sudden rush of normally law abiding people looking to unload airguns ASAP?

I can see a flood of guns going cheap and being bought by or given to just the sort of people who would misuse them anyway. I reckon we will see a rise in airgun crime after the licence comes into force.

Your right,we don't want it and as far as I know the police don't want it but the vote chasers do so when it blows up in their face and air gun crime rises it will still be us carying the can because they will say told you so.And from what I have been told you won't need to show your license to buy an air gun from a shop only if you sell it on now if that's right how crazy is that it's not been thought out well and even the firearms department here don't have a clue what is going to happen and you would think they would be getting a regular update but then it is the SNP isn't it

What damned good will that do? Not London that is the problem but that rank fish in Edinburgh! You might as well organise a march in Saint Helier, at least it would be VAT and Duty free!

March in London if the day came when this legislation was mooted for the rest of the UK

We could just stay at home and do nothing as normal........

• 2 weeks later...

probably just an observation that all **** laws get tested in Scotland first

Poll tax.....anyone, anyone?

if it works and impacts crime as they expect it will you can guarantee it will move south

all it has done for me is make me stick a non FAC PCP air rifle on my FAC and wind up the power, cost me nothing if I use an existing slot for a 141 variation!

then it gets counted as one more FAC grants in Scotland

watch the number of "firearms" held in Scotland significantly increase next year!

So you have "bonny" in your User Name. I wonder where you live? Another bitter and twisted individual from north of the boarder.

Fantastic first post and welcome to PW by the way.

What IS your problem, old chap? (Apart, that is, from an inability to spell "border").

There are many airgun clubs in Scotland and perhaps unsurprisingly they will all shortly have a waiting list for entry, if they don't already.

By including the need for good reason in the legislation effectively wrote off the chances of getting a license for many.

Unless you have land to shoot over or are involved in a legit sporting club the you're stuffed.

I actually think this will cause many just to put the gun in the loft and forget about it until such time as a good reason may crop up.

Why wouldn't they do that, who would know?

Because if they do what you advocate and its found for whatever reason the person will get a criminal record and that's game over.

Wouldn't mind betting there's a good number of air rifle owners either already have a record or just don't care. Criminal record doesn't have the same stigma now that it used to have, in fact some see it as a distinguishing award !

Three of the blokes I employ have a record, all for fighting / drunkenness etc, and they wouldn't care less about another addition to it. These are normal family blokes, just couldn't run fast enough. They're not evil scum of the earth blokes, just the usual working class blokes that got caught up in trouble a few times. They would still stop and help an old woman over the road though.

If it comes down here they'll just stash the rifles.

Edited by rodp

probably just an observation that all **** laws get tested in Scotland first

Poll tax.....anyone, anyone?

if it works and impacts crime as they expect it will you can guarantee it will move south

all it has done for me is make me stick a non FAC PCP air rifle on my FAC and wind up the power, cost me nothing if I use an existing slot for a 141 variation!

then it gets counted as one more FAC grants in Scotland

watch the number of "firearms" held in Scotland significantly increase next year!

Exactly as I will be doing aswell

I think it's the right thing to do anyway. I don't think sub 12 ftlb air rifles are much cop anyway.

nothing wrong with sub12ftlb air rifles,

some people cant be bothered applying for a fac cert some don't have permissions and some people just like to plink in their gardens,,its whatever floats your boat but for me sub12ftlb is more challenging because it takes more skill to get within 40yrds of your quarry unlike 80+yrds with the .22rf