To buy or not?

hollidca

Myself and my partner started shooting a while back and I recently received my SGC. I have around £700-800 to spend on my first gun. However as I would like to shoot with my partner and I know she prefers a 20g I can't decide whether to buy one 20g for £700-800 or a 12g and and 20g for a combined price of £700-800?

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

All other factors aside a gun that fits you is highly unlikely to fit your wife unless your both the same shape.

All other factors then also come in weight balance recoil etc.

a couple normally means 2 guns.

As above. A 12 would be a better bet but it depends on whether she has the uperbody strength to support it. A woman friend of mine uses a Browning 525and declined to have a go with my 20bore 686 because it was too small. This seemed I bit a illogical to me because it is a super little gun and will chop down stuff just as easy as at 12. Still there is method in her Madness because when we go shooting she normally beats us blokes by several clays. If she really in herself wants to shoot it would be better to get two guns. I have seen so many situations where the male wants the female to join him shooting and she just goes along with it but has no interest at all and can't do it. You see females that don't have the upper body strength to hold the weight kind of leaning backwards enable to support the gun when the clay comes they just pull the trigger in the blind hope that look like I will fly into the lead. This problem is compounded by the fact that there are always a horde of local guys who are trying to be helpful and advise the female with the end result that she feels stupid and unable to do the job and in the the end doesn't want to go shooting at all. If she really wants to shoot she should have her own gun unless she can manage with the both of you using one gun. If she's not really interested in actually shooting then she could come along with you and do the scoring or carry the equipment. It is a minefield of what the guy thinks the woman wants to do and what she actually does Want to do. It can be very costly if you get it wrong.

As Daf has said.

I'm 5'10" tall, 15 stone. My wife is 5'3" tall, 8.5 stone. Her 20 bore O/U (with the 3/4 inch taken off the stock) feels like a toy in my hands. Whereas she can barely lift and point my 12 bore for more than a few shots.

You'll laugh I'm 6'4 17 1/2 stone my wife a 5"3 size 8/10 (I always get that bit wrong) she shoots a 20 bore 13 1/4" lop I shoot a 28 bore 15 1/2" lop,

my guns to light for her to maintain a stead swing and recoils more even with the correct stock dimensions and same loads as its lighter.

Gun choice is personal not partner based!!

get 2 guns I very rarely do clays but small bores can hold there own against 12g any day in the field except for wildfowling.i would rather shoot my 20g than my 12g.but ihave3 other friends that do the same,good luck with it whatever u choose to do.hf

Get two, if you want your partner to get into shooting its more likely to happen if she is smashing clays, she will do this if the gun fits, also not get sore by it not fitting, for the money you can get a 12 and 20 lanber in good nick, decent guns, defo to start with and for a few years at least.