Conservatory roofs

activeviii

Today the roof on the conservatory went again so I think it's about time I got it sorted once and for all. My old window fitter said a few years ago it was tired and could do with replacing and put a glass roof on.

He said its only 4 window units and French door and then the roof so not to expensive on the walls just the roof.

Been looking into it all and I'm down to either Celsius one or Lillington activ blue.

Any thoughts or help?

I can ask my old fitter as he has pass away so ideally looking for someome I can either trust to fit or someone that can advise on how to measure what I have and order.

Than with all the favours that I have been clocking up I might get help lifting stuff into place.

Oh! And the good lady wants the sofits and facias done at the same time on the main house.

Thank gents for any help or advise offered.

Personally id look into a light weight solid roof. The parents have just had theirs done and it's transformed the room. Before it was far to hot in the summer, and freezing in the winter, now it's about right all year round. Definitely worth any extra cost. I had a large glass roof at the old place, top spec 8 years ago and the place was never warm in the winter. Biggest mistake we made with that house was going glass roof in conservatory.

When the conservatory was originally built it was roofed with Celsius. If someone tells you it's self cleaning ignore them. Got fed up keep cleaning it and when it started leaking from a roof-light had it replaced with a lightweight solid roof. Cooler in summer, warmer in winter, it's the way to go.

its easy to put solid roof on existing conservatory,done laods,to measer for glass take top hats off,measer inside to inside,check thickness with meter job done,facias and soffit and gutters,a rough price for average size house,is roughly £500/£600

• 6 years later...
On 08/08/2015 at 13:11, activeviii said:

Whole roof will be replaced as well but just need to find someone who knows about the different glass that isn't trying o sell me the biggest profit for them

Activeiii,

I realise that it’s an old thread, but wondered how you got on with the glass roof. 
I’m looking at conservatories at the moment and really like the look of the glass ones.

I’ve seen lots of comments over the years that they’re all too hot in summer and too cold in winter, but the new coatings that are available now seem to be improving things.

Anyone else have experience of these new coatings on conservatory glass?

I know you say it has to be glass but I had to replace our blue ridged plastic roof two years ago because the plastic shamefully doesnt resist UV sunlight and opted to build a solid roof onto our modest lean to conservatory with a dummy ceiling - the lean to aspect made it fairly easy and its southwest facing. It was previously way too hot in summer and way too cold in winter.

Its now much more mid range warmed being more of a nearly outside room than before and IMO far superior and more generally usable and sit in-able than how it started life. I should add I had it made for DIY fitting with ally box section inside the upvc corner posts.  It also doubles up as an upstairs fire escape because I over engineered the roof joists to make it a walk on jobbie with felt tiling and one can drop off the side onto the sturdy pub style picnic table/bench seats on the patio.

Planning has recently allowed for more traditional tiled roofing (which may be your thinking it has to be glass)

Edited by Dave-G

We had the roof replaced on our conservator with a Guardian Warm roof.  An example here: Guardian Warm Roof

Uses a lightweight aluminum space frame which has maybe 10 inches of insulation on the inside, plasterboard and skimmed, on the outside there are coated aluminum tiles (range of colours).   We have a pair of Velux roof lights too.

The house faces south, so where as previously the conservatory was only useable in the spring and autumn and furnace hot in the summer, now its a proper room all the year round.  Highly recommended. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry, bit late, I don't get here very often now days but,

I pulled it all down in end and put new windows and solid roof up. Ultra frame. 

Best move I ever made. Warm in winter, cool in summer. Celcius one blue glass windows that are self cleaning.

Very very pleased with my efforts

I had a few quotes to do windows and solid roof £21k was one quote. Told another company not to bother if more then £17k, they never bothered.

I did it myself with help from my lads, £7k finished, no idea why they tried to charge so much.

I much prefer the ultra roof, I have now. Plaster, vaulted ceiling. Tiled roof. No heating in the room but it's nice and warm now in winter and the house is so much cooler in the summer. South facing was unbearable in summer heat.