land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

as the brakes on the old diesels were not so good it would be worth fitting a belt driven vacumb pump used to be fitted to Peugeot boxers and ford Granada years ago you can use a military water pump and fan, double v belts one as normal the other to the pump works a treat you will be impressed and the clapper valve can be removed from the inlet manifold (nice safari will make a cracking refurb )

galv chassis are available about 700 was a co around leeds a few years back

galv chassis can warp if dipped too quickly so sight them across the rails as this will save a lot of packing out and elongating holes to make the body line up properly

Edited by Saltings

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks saltings, but that all sounds to technical for me, im ok at stripping it down and maybe putting it back together, but it will be my mate who does most of it, he has rebuilt a few in his time so unlike me, he knows what he is doing.

thanks. cheapest galvi chassis i can find is £1200 from richards chassis..i think it was.

lee

• 2 weeks later...

bit more done during the week, no pictures though, taking glass out and door galvi cappings stuff like that,

but today had my brother round and we managed to get the bulkhead,engine and gearbox out, freed all the suspension ready to drop the axles during the week.

thanks.

lee

post-9513-0-02968000-1441546539_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-53107500-1441546546_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-44126400-1441546574_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-95759400-1441546629_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-45130700-1441546672_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-24464200-1441546698_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-29313600-1441546740_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-64487700-1441546760_thumb.jpg

As said, that's had some work done on the chassis in the past, and would have seen another 10/20 years of service?.

Been there and done that, the heap in the corner of parts is like the one on one of my photos.

Thought when I looked at it all I would never get it back but I did and the feeling when I fired it up in its new re spray army green was worth it.

How much stick have you taken from your better half on oil everywhere you touch? I took a lot believe me.

Keep the photos coming,

As said, that's had some work done on the chassis in the past, and would have seen another 10/20 years of service?.

Been there and done that, the heap in the corner of parts is like the one on one of my photos.

Thought when I looked at it all I would never get it back but I did and the feeling when I fired it up in its new re spray army green was worth it.

How much stick have you taken from your better half on oil everywhere you touch? I took a lot believe me.

Keep the photos coming,

so so many parts, need a good tidy up to give me more room,constantly tripping up over things, iv another garage under the house i can put all the parts in, my other half is well pleased with it as it keeps me out of her hair, as long as she brings me a brew every hour were both happy. mind you, first thing she says when i go back in the house is "hand" and i have to show them to her to make sure there clean,

its not bad, gonna put 2 new foot wells in, some new door pillar feet, and a hole in the door pillar top,be as good as new,

really looking forward to the next stage, sanding it all down, having axles and loads of other parts shot blasted and painted, not sure if to have axles and other bits and bats painted/sprayed or powder coated,but first i have to fully strip the axles down and take all the bits and bats off the doors and sides.

thanks.

lee

definitely not my first choice, i was trying to keep it original, and its not a colour you see every day, russet brown.

up to that year they only did them in russet brown and masai red, from early 1983 to production end in 1985 they also did them in roan brown, stratos blue or trident green all had limestone wheels top and roof.none of which are over appealing.

post-9513-0-90222500-1442002354_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-86189800-1442002365_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-07184900-1442003048_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking