Cat Shot with Air Rifle in Wybunury (CW5)

BrowningB525

On 01/08/2015, my Parent's cat was shot in the leg with a .22 air rifle. The cat sustained a shattered leg which needed an operation to fix.

Are any of you from the area? Do you know of anyone who has recently given their child an air rifle, or seen someone using one? The rifling marks on the pellet are pretty distinctive so would be easy to identify the rifle if I see pellets sat stuck in trees etc.

The police have been informed and they've posted it on their twitter.

Here is the poor cat,sulking:

11868636_10101681541561028_656127465_n.j

And the pellet (any ideas what it is. The main consensus on facebook are: accupel, AA field, Air Arms Diablo, Crosman Premium or RWS superdomes:

EDIT - Pellet/gun identification is more of a distraction than anything else.

11837035_10101680968599248_1676541474_o.

11840223_10101680968669108_413581837_o.j

11853076_10101680968639168_1008088540_o.

Edited by BrowningB525

Looks like an rws super field, can you weigh it?

The rifling has really smudged the skirt but I can not think what barrel has done that.

The skirt is not bloated, may be a PCP or co2.

I don't have a scale that can weigh in grains unfortunately.

I thought that the rifling was distinctive. Whenever I've found a pellet that I'd shot in my ratcatcher or Diana springers, they were never cut that deeply.

i've just been comparing an AA Field .22 with your pictures and it looks very similar except the field skirt looks slightly longer and the head looks more rounded, not as flat, but that could be down to your pellet being distorted.Try and get someone with a diablo to compare. Hope you find the *******l!

It's mostly likely some neighbour or local who's fed up of your cat crapping in their flower bed or something.

It's a bit wanna be CSI thinking your going to match up the rifling on the pellet to someone.

Not condoning what they've done at all but hear plenty of stories of people fed up of other people's cats littering in their garden or something. Where was the cat whwb this happened ?

Edited by Lloyd90

i've just been comparing an AA Field .22 with your pictures and it looks very similar except the field skirt looks slightly longer and the head looks more rounded, not as flat, but that could be down to your pellet being distorted.Try and get someone with a diablo to compare. Hope you find the Bars tedl!

They do look similar. The pellet has been crushed by the impact, that could explain the skirt length.

I think you'd have more success by asking around than by trying to match the pellet to the gun, if that is what you're hoping to achieve. Even if you definitely identified the pellet and found someone who owned an air rifle and used that brand, I doubt the police would seize that rifle for forensic testing and the costs that would entail, for a cat. The fact you still have the pellet and not SOCO confirms this I think.

I can understand how annoying it is to constantly have cats carping in your flower beds; my front lawn is covered in the stuff, but I can't really condone their shooting. Good luck in catching those responsible.

Your best chance of success is going to come from asking around your neighbourhood / down the pub and social media etc.

The problem is, even if you found the so called suspected air rifle and owner, how would you prove who pulled the trigger at the time without a confession and with no witnesses any brief worth their salt will advise no comment.

Forensic projectile analysis costs £1000's and would not be entertained in a case like this, I'm not even sure that air rifles are kept on the database.

Hopefully the muppet will receive some bad karma

I'd social media it and get people to share locally, and say that you will be pursuing it and mention that you have a 'pretty good idea of who it was' and just need to confirm before the police are called in or similar... hopefully the miscreant will see that and will be worrying.

It is annoying to get cats doing their business in your garden, but to get a shattered leg for it is a bit much!

I'd say almost certainly it's someone close by, perhaps within half a dozen doors from where you live. Our Neighbours have 3 cats which constantly use our garden as a latrine, and we're really fed up with it, especially as we have youngsters, but I would never entertain shooting them with an air rifle which is cruelty, pure and simple. In your shoes, I'd make a poster on A4 sized paper containing the photo above and th caption "police informed...we know it's someone close and so do they...you know who you are" with an extra bit for your neighbours to report back if they know of anyone close by with an air rifle. Best you can hope for is the police CSPOs doing a few house to house enquiries and finding out who owns and air rifle. They would be prime suspects should any further accidents happen so may dissuade them from further repeat offences?

I used to shoot at a pheasant shoot in Wybunbury called Pool Bank Farm aswell as doing all the rabbiting and roost shooting there...just up from the wonky church by the Bears head pub..lovely area it's such a shame that you always get brain dead idiots that can do cruel things to domestic animals..hope he gets better soon :)

Not sure by the picture if your parents cat is wearing a collar with a bell but that may of put off the idiot wait an air rifle as although completely wrong he may of thought that it was a feral cat and thought his air gun was upto the job of killing it most likely a young lad with his first gun or like said previously a phased off neighbour

Best you can hope for is the police CSPOs doing a few house to house enquiries and finding out who owns and air rifle. They would be prime suspects should any further accidents happen so may dissuade them from further repeat offences?

Trust me, they're so under staffed it takes days for them to get out to visit victims sometimes. Not much of a chance of them running some sort of investigation for this fella's cat unfortunately.

So-we can definitely state that it was someone nearby?- no chance whatsoever of someone in a car with an Air Pistol? You need to watch more Miss Marple before you go accusing neighbours.

Been watching too much CSI Miami already :whistling: Going to get a ballistic test done on the pellet :whistling:

Trust me, they're so under staffed it takes days for them to get out to visit victims sometimes. Not much of a chance of them running some sort of investigation for this fella's cat unfortunately.

Been watching too much CSI Miami already :whistling: Going to get a ballistic test done on the pellet :whistling:

I've edited the first post to explain that the pellet/gun identification is a curiosity. Nothing more.