cormorants

They aren't on the GL.

You need to prove to Natural England that you've exhausted all other means of scaring them off. If you can prove this, they will issue a special licence to shoot them. I think they have a season though too. :good:

As above, basically. It is an absolute pain to get a licence (or it was in Wales a few years ago, when administered by the Environment Agency). You've got to have a very good idea on current numbers, and the licence will only authorise you to shoot a certain number, which all have to be logged when shot, after which you'll probably have to have them surveyed again to show that the numbers haven't dropped too far.

A friend of mine has a problem with them on a fishing lake he owns,basically they keep eating all his carp!

He didnt have any issue getting the special license ,but he is only allowed to shoot about 5 a year in season.

Trouble is,the ground is only suitable for air rifle,there are too many nearby buildings and roads.

He did try scarers to no avail and they are a wary bird,so he has not actually bagged one yet.

What I find strange is the fact they allowed him to (attempt) cull them with a sub 12ft lb air rifle when he can rarely get within 70 yds of them ?

The situation has improved though, as less of them are frequenting since he started stalking them.

I cover 2 lake lakes to shoot Cormorants but am only allowed to take 6 per lake per season.

Every bird i shoot has to be recorded. And can only be shot with a shotgun.

This is after all other methods to clear them has failed.

They are cunning little rascals too.

Yes, they certainly wise up.

Which lakes if I may ask? PM if preferred.

I cover 2 lake lakes to shoot Cormorants but am only allowed to take 6 per lake per season.

Every bird i shoot has to be recorded. And can only be shot with a shotgun.

This is after all other methods to clear them has failed.

They are cunning little rascals too.

• 4 months later...

Those b***** cormorants, in the last week I have removed 4 dead carp, the best being 18lb all showed signs of bird damage. In the last 2 days I have watched a large bird circling, this one seems to be a regular visitor. If I adhere to my licence conditions I cannot shoot it because they can only be shot if in pairs or more, and then only with a shot gun, the chances of getting within 50yds of it are nil, but I am not permitted to use the HMR.It's

impossible to police the water during all daylight hours. Scare crows don't work. Advice please, the advice given by the Environment Agency is to

string wires across the lake 3½ acres, or float wooden pallets on the water and attach stock fencing to them, giving the fish a refuge from the birds.

Is your water is leased by an angling club who are members of the Angling Trust ?

My local water has a licence to shoot 7 Cormorant and as you advise getting within shotgun range is next to impossible. We have issues with a lot of public access making our problem even worse.

The AT cormorant officers came out and gave us several sensible options to try including using a high powered laser torch (Agrilaser) and installing manikins to scare the birds off.

I appreciate scareing is not killing but the main point the AT made was that you are not going to destroy all the birds but the techniques described will keep them moving.

I've stretched 30lb fishing nylon about every 5-10 yrds across one narrow lake and that seems to work. They get used to CDs blowing in the wind. When I got the original form, you could also apply to shoot Herons with it, but if you have steep banks, they can't reach much.

If you can make a hide wait for them to land on the water when they dive run down to the peg or the next peg up & when they pop up i find AAA'S or a RC 50 no3 does the trick if you hit one the other will prob not come back. Had five on the lake on boxing day three on the water when i walked on & two in the air came right above me had a lovely left & right :good: and yes i have a licence from NE to shoot them.

• 3 years later...

What is the authority for saying (as a number have said on this site) that a shotgun has to be used to cull cormorants - I have a NE licence to cull on a local fishery and had intended to use a .17 HMR (rifle) when the birds resurface after catching a fish at which time they are not so likely to take off. There is nothing on my licence requiring a shotgun to be used and I would think it unlikely that there is much, if any, variation in the conditions of the relevant licences issued for the purpose. I am not an expert but on a cursory reading of the Wildlife and Countryside Act I could see no requirement to use a shotgun and no prohibition on the use of a rifle  - I stand to be corrected if anyone can quote the relevant authority.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2020 at 17:50, keith rippin said:

What is the authority for saying (as a number have said on this site) that a shotgun has to be used to cull cormorants - I have a NE licence to cull on a local fishery and had intended to use a .17 HMR (rifle) when the birds resurface after catching a fish at which time they are not so likely to take off. There is nothing on my licence requiring a shotgun to be used and I would think it unlikely that there is much, if any, variation in the conditions of the relevant licences issued for the purpose. I am not an expert but on a cursory reading of the Wildlife and Countryside Act I could see no requirement to use a shotgun and no prohibition on the use of a rifle  - I stand to be corrected if anyone can quote the relevant authority.

my natural england license says shotgun only, wen i went to a meeting in Birmingham for n/e license holders for cormmarant & gooesander they said they would not permit firearms over water and two licenses had been revoked for this reason i would check with n/e or Richard bamforth from the angling trust my license clearly says shotgun only 

Edited by davewh100