Variation for Roe...which calibre?

Savhmr

A wise choice to go 243 but the real trick is finding out that bullet weight is only a third of the tale with. 224 bullets or 6mm ones. Construction precifics are paramount calibre is actually far less important than many might have us think

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I understand the importance of ballistics differences, ditto rifling twist/bullet weight/speed and I'm less focussed on calibre really and more on the right combination for purpose. Although the landowners have said they don't (yet) want deer shot, I am still minded to go ahead with the variation which they fully support and also join my local club for range days. That will at least secure reasonable need and indeed usage. Bearing in mind the rifle range idea, it's still a toss up on calibre. .223, .243, 6.5 x 55 and .308 all have their relative merits.

The 58vmax in 243 I find one of the best bullets for summer foxing going. If I zero at 300 yards it is an inch and a half high at 100 yards so really useable. Drops them very well, it helps that my 85grain soft points shoot spot on at 100 yards if I swap over. Both shoot under an inch at 200 yards which is spot on for my use

Yes, I understand the importance of ballistics differences, ditto rifling twist/bullet weight/speed and I'm less focussed on calibre really and more on the right combination for purpose. Although the landowners have said they don't (yet) want deer shot, I am still minded to go ahead with the variation which they fully support and also join my local club for range days. That will at least secure reasonable need and indeed usage. Bearing in mind the rifle range idea, it's still a toss up on calibre. .223, .243, 6.5 x 55 and .308 all have their relative merits.

If that was in response to my post? Not what I meant. Not all 55 grn 224 bullets perform the same on impact and not all 6mm bullets do!

The 243 gained an undeserved reputation from this very fact

Ballistic Co efficiency etc actually means very little to the average stalker likewise twist rates and all that. What really matters is the bullet jacket core and Base and how it breaks up or holds together on impacting your quarry.

Shortlist remains 6.5 x 55 or .243. Next step is to speak with my FEO and put in for the variation.

Why would you speak to your FEO. The choice is yours, not his. If you have permission to shoot deer on suitable land then, within reasonable limits, the choice of caliber is yours and yours alone.

Make your mind up and submit your variation then sit back and wait for it to arrive.

Only because I wanted to learn what supporting information would help my application. I have spoken with my FEO who was very helpful and has said that as I hold an open ticket, there should be no problems with the land being cleared on my own judgement and that good reason would ideally be supported by a letter from the landowner confirming need, all of which seems reasonable enough to me.

It just remains to pick a suitable calibre and submit the application which I shall do this week, so fingers crossed that it doesn't take too long!

If that was in response to my post? Not what I meant. Not all 55 grn 224 bullets perform the same on impact and not all 6mm bullets do!

The 243 gained an undeserved reputation from this very fact

Ballistic Co efficiency etc actually means very little to the average stalker likewise twist rates and all that. What really matters is the bullet jacket core and Base and how it breaks up or holds together on impacting your quarry.

Absolutely. I wasn't suggesting they did!

As mentioned, I am less focussed on ballistics data (I merely stated that I understood the ballistics issues) and more focussed on what's suitable and appropriate for use, as you have summed up. Calibre choice is more a practical consideration to me on ammo availability and choice.

Looking at options, it appears that a .243 may not be the wisest choice if (as I intend) a fair amount of target work is also thrown into the equation. I have read conflicting accounts depending on barrel quality, but anywhere from 1500 to 3000 rounds seems to be it for standard loads before accuracy starts to drift, with some barrels being shot out long before that if hotter loads are used. A heavy "varmint" barrel and less hot home loads would probably extend life out a fair bit, but then that defeats the point of the flat shooting 243.

I think I'm more settled on the 6.5 x 55 Swede. Good for target work, good for any UK species as it seems to have a very flexible choice when it comes to bullets, and low recoil so I'm guessing for the variation I just need to list soft point and FMJ or Target rounds? Have been looking at the Howa package (Howa 1500 heavy barrelled version) but unsure if I like that fussy looking handgrip! I'm sure there's plenty of choice, but it's certainly not as easy to find out there s 308 or 243.

Had you title said Variation for target instead of variation for roe I guess the recommendation would have been somewhat different.

Yes, you are correct, for target work and the occasional deer a 6.5, or indeed a .308, would be a much better choice.

I love my 6.5.

Yes, I should have said that really. I had intended to use it for target but never thought to separate the usage when asking for recommendations which was a bit silly really. The intention is the odd deer, fox and target. I'd like to get to an outdoor range once every month or two. I used to do a lot of range shooting and a fair few years back used to be a range instructor myself but my first passion was and remains rough shooting for the pot. Target is a good way to keep the skills honed and a chance for a bit of social banter as most of my shooting is a solitary affair (which I like!).

and of course, you will be joining the gentleman shooters club if you get a 6.5 :)

Absolutely ;)

I do intend to load my own and was thinking possibly of a 140 grain for target using moderate powder loads. What issues are you thinking of as there does appear to be plentiful factory loads as well as home loading options? All I can think of is the PITA of different zeros but not a problem if sticking to the same load options and working out the elevational differences accordingly based on something like a 200yd zero.

Although I obviously zero mine, I don't target shoot as such, 140's cover everything I have used it for so far, so fox, muntjac, roe, fallow, red, boar

I started with Federal's but moved to Hornady's as I was offered a load at silly money - I am eking them out as slowly as possible as they don't make them anymore :unhappy:

That will be the nouveau gentlemen shooters then with a 6.5 55. Real gents use a 275 Rigby :yes::lol::lol::lol:

...whilst on the plains shooting big game....and a 6.5x55 back in good ol' Blighty :lol:

Although I obviously zero mine, I don't target shoot as such, 140's cover everything I have used it for so far, so fox, muntjac, roe, fallow, red, boar

I started with Federal's but moved to Hornady's as I was offered a load at silly money - I am eking them out as slowly as possible as they don't make them anymore :unhappy:

Have you tried any PPU ammo out of interest?

If you handled and have sufficient ammo quantities not much other than the more frangiple varmint bullets being harder to find in 6.5

It's gotta be said the 6mm is just about the easiest to feed with great target bullets in a rage of weights deer bullets for all those 243 owning stalkers and of course a plethora of varmint bullets.

Ammo shortages have become a very real factor over the last decade

what range targets are you planning on shooting?

the difference in BC between 6 and 6.5mm bullets is not worth stressing about unless you are planning on:

A) shooting over 600yds regularly

B) going to be competing

C) Already a wind reading ninja and can shoot sub MOA out past that distance

The difference in barrel life is a wet finger in the air

A barrel that shoots 3000 rounds of 3k fps loads could last longer than one that shoots the same loads but only shoots 1500 rounds

depends if you are shooting 20 shot strings, using fast or slow/double or single base powders, using long bearing or short bearing surface bullets, cleaning regime, etc etc

buy one that fits you, you can feed, you can shoot well ......matters very little if the pill is 5mm, 6mm or 7mm on anything in between unless you have aspirations of competitions and medals at long range (600yds plus)

I'll be shooting deer or fox at anything between 50 to 150 yds, perhaps out to 200 max, range work would be 200, and on my own permission, target out to 350 yds. I'm less interested in competition even though a reasonable shot, but that may change. It's more the social element and regular shooting that interests me. From everything I've read and from everyone I've spoken to with more experience of full bore, the 6.5 Swede seems to be the logical choice for me. Versatile, affordable, accurate (rifle and loads permitting). My guess is that it would be more long lived but I hear what's being said about the variables for 243. I prefer the idea of a larger bullet and less hot loads but appreciate there's not a lot in bore size between 243 and 6.5.

Deer bullets just ain't good on dropping fox quickly

I know that sounds daft but they tend towards pencilling through on chest shots being a bit too tough

You also have increased ricochet potential in any heavier slower round. Not that you can give any extra allowance to light fast bullets

Non the less I remain a big fan of both its just a pity. 223 ain't legal for those roe as it might prove perfect