Variation for Roe...which calibre?

Savhmr

Silly question but have you used any of the calibers mentioned? As if not you really need to a 308 on a fox and deer gun as a first centre fire good luck with your feo with that one.....

Ignore the naysayers - it's perfectly doable. I did. Many hundreds of others have. If they object or offer you a .243 you simply tell them that they'll have to refuse you altogether since there's nothing more dangerous about making a safe shot with a .308 than there is with a .243 or .223 or .22LR or nerf gun etc. Either you're safe an suitable to hold a firearm or you're not. Stand up for yourself and they'll grant it because they know they'll lose when you take them to court over the refusal.

Edited by neutron619

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly amazing when most of this has come via Internet research. Some practical use is required, I don't think anyone who uses the .243 does so thinking it's the best but for fox and roe it simply is if you don't want two guns.

But lots depends how much you shoot if it's occasionally then you might have something else. If you lamp a couple of nights a week and shoot a roe when the freezer is running low it's perfect.

Ignore the naysayers - it's perfectly doable. I did. Many hundreds of others have. If they object or offer you a .243 you simply tell them that they'll have to refuse you altogether since there's nothing more dangerous about making a safe shot with a .308 than there is with a .243 or .223 or .22LR or nerf gun etc. Either you're safe an suitable to hold a firearm or you're not. Stand up for yourself and they'll grant it because they know they'll lose when you take them to court over the refusal.

Exacltly.

Exactly amazing when most of this has come via Internet research. Some practical use is required, I don't think anyone who uses the .243 does so thinking it's the best but for fox and roe it simply is if you don't want two guns.

But lots depends how much you shoot if it's occasionally then you might have something else. If you lamp a couple of nights a week and shoot a roe when the freezer is running low it's perfect.

??? no it hasn't. There's nothing less suitable as the 308 for deer/fox/target than a 243, indeed it is more suitable in some respects so your point is? I am a regular shooter for the record and don't forget that I will be shooting target regularly as well. If the calibre isn't as important as the bullet then it appears some are just recommending what they use because they use it! That's fair enough. I have shot 308 by the way so do have practical experience. I haven't had one on ticket.

He sounds like an feo with the way he has gone about the variation. Jumping through hoops rolling over and Barking on demand will be next

That's just plain childish and insulting. You have no idea about me nor what my previous experience is. I have taken a responsible approach despite over 33 years as an experienced shot and FAC/SGC holder and have no intention of clashing with the FEO if it can be avoided and my needs are met. I am not looking to clash with the force responsible for granting of the ticket, I am looking to demonstrate responsibility and a sensible attitude, plus I have been considering taking DSC1 for a long while now. What you do or don't do is completely up to you but no need to be so personally insulting.

Edited by Savhmr

Do you have a or own a c/f rifle. The main calibres are 22lr,223,243,308. If you have 33years experience why the need to ask?. I have shot a flintlock and a 303,and dont know anything about them. People will suggest what they have because they have it and know about it.