Decoying

Ears23

Hello All

am hoping to get a bit of advice regarding Decoying. I have only used decoys and hide a few times now so am a real novice. A fellow shooter who has the use of the land i shoot on told me yesterday that it does not matter if the pigeons are actually feeding on a certain type of crop, if you use decoys correctly then you can tempt them. The crops on this land are i think wheat and have a long way to go yet. There are certainly a lot of pigeons flying across the crops but i have not seen any interested in landing as there is nothing there for them. This chap yesterday told me that it is possible to set up a hide and decoys and get the pigeons there.

Now this may be a completely stupid question but is this right, or would i be waisting my time at the moment.

Thanks for any replies.

well if the crop has been recently drilled it will be okay to decoy on

but you will need to get your decoys spot on and if you have a magnet or can borrow a pigeonmagnet it would be very helpful. ishot yesterday on beans and shot 70 odd.

go for it you wont know till you try is my advise. and you dont learn wth out making mistakes

good luck SK :lol:

Hello Ears23

Try looking for a posotive Flight Line across the land. You can simply get yourself underneath the flight line in a good hiding place and ambush the pigeon as they fly back and forth, or you can still try and decoy. Because pigeon are a natural flock bird they may see your deeks and decide to pay a visit no matter what the crop.

Rgds

Pointer....

Thanks for the replies

Well i think i will give it ago. The crops were drilled awhile ago, but like you say you never know. There are certainly pigeons flying across the fields so may be i can get a few interested.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies

Well i think i will give it ago. The crops were drilled awhile ago, but like you say you never know. There are certainly pigeons flying across the fields so may be i can get a few interested.

Thanks

Dont be afraid to add dead birds to your decoy pattern the more the merrier, as someone said earlier pigeon are a flock bird - the more grey you can put on the field the better the pulling power.

Good shooting

Hi

I have a number of wheat fields that were drilled end of last year on one of my shoots, so all there is at the moment is green stalks coming up. I set up decoys on Friday as there had been large amounts of pigeon flying over the land and i thought i would give it ago, as they have been a bit scarce elsewhere. For about the first 1.5 hours they just did not want to know and just as i thought i would pack up and have a walk around, bang about 15 birds showed interest. From then on although it was not the best, the birds flying over occasionly showed interest especially when i got some shot birds out on the magnet. Ended the day with 24, which is a lot for what i have been getting on my permissions lately. So i would definitely give it ago, i was ready to pack up but you never know.

Good Luck :lol:

Hi

I have a number of wheat fields that were drilled end of last year on one of my shoots, so all there is at the moment is green stalks coming up. I set up decoys on Friday as there had been large amounts of pigeon flying over the land and i thought i would give it ago, as they have been a bit scarce elsewhere. For about the first 1.5 hours they just did not want to know and just as i thought i would pack up and have a walk around, bang about 15 birds showed interest. From then on although it was not the best, the birds flying over occasionly showed interest especially when i got some shot birds out on the magnet. Ended the day with 24, which is a lot for what i have been getting on my permissions lately. So i would definitely give it ago, i was ready to pack up but you never know.

Good Luck :oops:

:yp: this time of the year watch em in the morning till 9ish. then set up 2ish. they allways come back before bedtime. Allways pack up an hour before dark then you won,t spook em off. leave em 3 or 4 days then you can hit em again. :stupid::blush::good:

hi ears, if birds are flying over your field, get down there and help your self. get under the flight line and put out your decoys, keep well hiden, and i,ll be surprised if you dont get a few, or even plenty. they dont have to be eating whats on your field, you just need to be under there flight line. pick a windy day, and i,ll eat my hat if they dont start droping in. have a good un mate.