Bumper year for sloes?

Dunkield

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking this the other day - same here in Wilts - also huge amounts of damsons on my tree. I haven't looked too closely at Acorns - but seems like they are well up too following a very poor year last winter. What's the consensus on picking sloes - wait for the first frost or pick 'em when they're ready and pop in the freezer.

Not sure the first frost rule applies these days, but I would say it is still a little early, having said that the second lot look almost ready to go.

What you really need is someone gullible to taste one and let you know :lol:

That brings back childhood memories. I gave some to the good lady to try a couple of seasons ago, she actually liked them!

loads down in derby too this year but still a bit hard...also this year my damson tree i planted 3 years ago in my back garden is covered in fruit the last 2 years you were lucky if it had 10 damsons on it...soon as there ready ill be making some damson gin.

There are some in this section from memory.

As for gin I never used absolute top end stuff, but have never used rubbish either - when I was lucky enough to get good stuff massively discounted it definitely made a difference to the end product.

Some good advice here:

http://www.sipsmith.com/blog/articles/how-to-make-the-perfect-sloe-gin

cant say ive drunk lidls gin but their vodka's are more than a match for the branded ones, in their advertising their blue label matched or beat (cant remember which) grey goose and is half the price... and after buying it i agree

Very poor year around here for the second year running... We had a bumper crop two years ago, they were as big as plums, and so thick we filled two carrier bags in about twenty foot of hedgerow. Going to be hard work picking this year...

Mike.

Tbh last year by the time first frost hit most the sloes were stripped by what i'm assuming is birds or possibly deer if deer eat them. All i know is last year I waited till first frost and got very little hence why i'm asking if there's any other tips/tricks to checking readiness.