Bumper year for sloes?

Dunkield

Tbh last year by the time first frost hit most the sloes were stripped by what i'm assuming is birds or possibly deer if deer eat them. All i know is last year I waited till first frost and got very little hence why i'm asking if there's any other tips/tricks to checking readiness.

I waited for the first frost last year and they were all gone ...... I felt a right idiot as there were loads last year but the frosts came late.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are still mostly green here.

Fair enough get them before the end of September maybe but it isn't the end of August yet. I've got 25 acres of apples but I can't pick them before they are ready, even if a hurricane was forecast for tomorrow. They are not ready.

Makes no difference to me but your sloe gin will taste and look a whole lot nicer if you leave them a while.

They are big and early again - Take them now, freeze them and they'll be fine. i picked bundles in Kent three or four years ago in August and the gin was gorgeous. The first frost bit is, i fear, a thing of the past.

I agree. I've never frozen mine nor pricked them. Just pick them when they are ready or some other ****** will nab them, give them a quick wash then roughly dry making sure you pull out all the stalks. Never had any issues with flavour imparting.

Ratios I use 400g sugar with 800g of sloes to a litre of gin or vodka. Personally I prefer using gin over vodka

ive never seen sloes in the wild before, well never looked really... but this year was determined to get out and find some, i had been told of a tree not to far away but this morning went out with a guy who lives at the end of my street not only did he show me where laods of rabbits are and get me permission just 15 minutes walk from the house after mentioning sloe gin he showed me loads ond loads of trees jammed with sloes also within yards nut trees and crab apple trees and no one goes where they are so fingers crossed in a couple of weeks i get tons up there... i cant believe it just 15 minutes walk from my house

A few people on here are mentioning Sloe "Trees". I thought that Sloe's were bushes and Damson and Bullaces were trees??

Is there an easy way, without tasting, of telling Sloe's from Bullace's?

Damsons look like small purple plums and bullaces look like small damsons. That's about as good a description I can give you fella. Sloes are round and are the fruit of the blackthorn.

A few people on here are mentioning Sloe "Trees". I thought that Sloe's were bushes and Damson and Bullaces were trees??

Is there an easy way, without tasting, of telling Sloe's from Bullace's?

The plants can all look a bit similar, but a Sloe bush will never get to the same size as a Damson or Bullace. Sloe bushes are more spikey.

As for the fruit; Sloes are smaller than Bullaces but are the same shape. Damsons are plum shaped.

We've picked and made up our sloe gin already, the sloes were falling off the bush and someone had already been and stripped the lower branches. The frost thing is ,IMHO, a bit of an old wives tale, when they are soft and ready , pick them. We did it about a week earlier last year and the gin is fantastic.

AB

• 2 weeks later...