Bumper year for sloes?

Dunkield

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those who have tried bullace, is there much of a differece in the flavour of the finished gin?

must say its a mind numbing job prepping the sloes, last batch i made i didnt pierce the sloes as they had been frozen by the guy who gave them to me, this time i did them and the gins colour changed within hours so i think even if i use frozen again ill pierce them.. or rather i put a small split in each with a knife

no damsons around me but is damson gin nice enough to warrent my trying to find a shp that sells them?

Edited by kiffy

• 4 weeks later...

for those who have tried bullace, is there much of a differece in the flavour of the finished gin?

It's not finished but I've got both on the go and the bullace is definitely sweeter although the flavour is similar. Stands to reason really as soles are much more tart.

I don't ***** them as 3 months in gin will be just fine.

Thanks to the chairman at my Air rifle club who pointed me in the direction of some good bushes i now have 12lb of Sloes so enough for 12L+, only took about 3 hours to pick them but got plenty of dodgy looks from passers by!

Found loads of little bushes like this one as well as a few well established ones.

wGI1DLi.jpg

xoRFHCD.jpg

After a bit of advice about sloes..... The berries on the bushes around me look ripe ( they are a very dark blue verging on black) but taste very bitter. I've only ever made damson vodka before and I know when the damsons are ready by tasting them. Does the same apply to sloes? I can't seem to find and answer on the web to this so any experts out there, please put me tight on this. Thanks

They are a bitter/astringent fruit anyway, they should be ready if they are a dark full bluey/black all over. If you squash one so the juice bleeds and leave it on the side for half hour you should notice the reddish juice even though they are green inside. To be honest now is a good picking time as they fruited eary this year.