Ex Battery Hens in Hertfordshire?

Twistedsanity

So the chicken coop is arriving later this week and i have been winding up my two year old daughter in anticipation, she has already decided on names for them both( food and carrot)and i am looking for pointers as to where i could get a couple of ex battery hens this weekend if possible? im in croxley green so near the motorway, also suppliers for all other things poultry related local to myself?

these may be able to help. http://www.bhwt.org.uk

our girl is 6 this year and still giving an egg a dayshe is top bird lol

We had 8 ex battery hens in June, I'm sure it was from the Cornwall branch of the bhwt. All 8 are looking so much better just about fully feathered now and very friendly. Only thing which is a pain is they don't like to go away at night so I find myself picking them up and putting them away. Hopefully they will learn from our other chickens.

Just get some point of lay hens, ex battery are generally pretty much knackered due to the way they are meant to produce so many eggs. We've had a few over the years and their production tends to be low and they tend to get problems after a fairly short span and need euthenasing

Just get some point of lay hens, ex battery are generally pretty much knackered due to the way they are meant to produce so many eggs. We've had a few over the years and their production tends to be low and they tend to get problems after a fairly short span and need euthenasing

I agree with al4x, started of with the ex battery hens, it is a great feeling when you let them out and when you see them fully feathered up, but they lay everywhere so you have to search, need putting to bed as they need to learn that, also have no immunity to diseases that normal hens have naturally, be prepared to find some dead in the mornings, so much easier just buy point of lay, just pick a good breeder/supplier, pick your colours then instead of just brown, I went with black rocks, had no regrets there

I agree with al4x, started of with the ex battery hens, it is a great feeling when you let them out and when you see them fully feathered up, but they lay everywhere so you have to search, need putting to bed as they need to learn that, also have no immunity to diseases that normal hens have naturally, be prepared to find some dead in the mornings, so much easier just buy point of lay, just pick a good breeder/supplier, pick your colours then instead of just brown, I went with black rocks, had no regrets there

+1 And Black Rocks can't be beaten if it's a hardy, reliable layer you're after. (Unless you contact Dave Harris at castlefarmeggs.co.uk, that is (Hay-on-wye).)

Edited by chacotawas

Never had a problem with ex battery hens, apart from bed time but that is just about there now. At the moment we are getting about 6 eggs a day from our eight. When we got them the were not in great shape fairly bald and scared of their own shadows and grass under their feet, but now they have just about got all their feathers back and have manned up and are more friendly than any of our other chickens. If anyone saw the state off them the would go for free range eggs every time.

I've had ex batts too. Documented on here before how they had to go to another home after destroying the garden, but if you've got land to give over to them they're great.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy too seeing them blossom having been treated like **** their whole life up to the point you get them.

Edited by Muddy Funker

Never had a problem with ex battery hens, apart from bed time but that is just about there now. At the moment we are getting about 6 eggs a day from our eight. When we got them the were not in great shape fairly bald and scared of their own shadows and grass under their feet, but now they have just about got all their feathers back and have manned up and are more friendly than any of our other chickens. If anyone saw the state off them the would go for free range eggs every time.

Free range aren't that much better, we get ours at point of lay but from a free range setup. 25K hens in a house and ok they have access to outside and they meet the free range criteria but they still can get feather pecked badly.

Thing is battery hens have been illegal for a few years now. So these hens are either coming from 'happy egg' company type barn eggs, or 'free range' flocks which is one of the biggest consumer cons around as previously noted. Not really a big step forward for hen welfare which is still shocking albeit a little ahead of much of Europe.

Great job on getting your own birds, wherever you source, anyone who can have chickens, in my opinion should. Same with bee hives. Good luck with them.

We had a couple from the BHWT-hardly any feathers and had never felt rain or the sun on their backs-its a crying shame but they laid (huge) eggs from day 1 and within a couple of months they were beautiful looking , healthy birds-even if they had never laid an egg I would still have kept them.

I think I'll pop up to the place in south mimms Saturday and decide when I get there, were only having two or three an the house is ready now, it's as much a learning experience for my 2 year old as it is for the eggs, I was fortunate enough to be brought up on a farm and can't stand it when kids have no idea where there food comes from or how to treat animals