New Ford ranger

Essex Keeper

I have the 2.2 ranger 13 plate for a work vehicle. done 41000 miles in it and I love it.Wen i buy my own personal truck I will definatly be buying one. about 75quid to fill up and get out roughly 450/500 miles from a tank.

A fellow work mate also has the Amorak. looks nice but very overated, not brilliant off road either

I have the 2.2 ltd manual. Certainly wouldn't have this engine with an auto box, it lacks power and doesn't tow very well because of this. I had it remapped and its soooooo much better, much more torque and easier to drive (superchips) well worth a look and its increased my mpg, before I was lucky to get 27 solo now I get 28+ towing an 1800kg caravan.

Overall though I love it, when it's up for renewal I'll be going 3.2 though.

One thing, if you can afford the reversing camera option - get it, it's a great bit of kit especially if you tow and if you use it of road

Our Ranger has gone in for a look at the gearbox as its almost impossible to get first - this is a vehicle with 1500 on the clock!

I have a bit of trouble with the above, it's not as bad as impossible, but gets a bit annoying at junctions.

For my work van I have a transit with the 2.2 diesel unit. It averages 31 mpg with a lot of stuff in the back and takes a good trashing it's just low on torque.

We work on behalf of the electric board the have rangers/defenders/Isuzu and Hilux. Most of the guy prefer Hilux as all rounders. I bought a. 60plate Hilux and can't fault it.

Cheers rob

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine has a 12 plate 3.2ltr manual ranger. He has had it from new ,when the new design first came out. He has had problems with the front suspension, it has just done 60,000 miles and the gearbox went. Ford didn't want to know. Cost him a fortune. Last Ranger he's having he said.

I have a two year old 3.2L manual coming up on 30K miles. It's been a beut. With BFG's it goes anywhere I've wanted to go, and gets me back. Pulls like a train and, for a pick-up it's a pretty decent drive. It's not, perfect, it could do with a longer gear for motorway cruising when unloaded/not towing, and it has the turning circle of an oil tanker. You can't turn off the daytime running lights and, the 'home safe' lighting, lights you up like an Xmas tree if you forget and turn the ignition off just as charlie wanders into - and then, quickly out of - view.

I'd have another though, in a heartbeat. Interested to see how they price the facelift version with all the new bells and whistles (including I believe a longer gearing/overdrive for cruising which would fix one of my personal issues with the truck). If they don't bump up the price too much over the current models, it could be a no brainer.