Older BC Miroku - which model could it be?

trymd

Hi! I've been reading on these forums occasionally and decided it was time jo sign up and join. I recently bought a used BC Miroku, 12/70, chokes are IC and full. The owner, an elderly man, was unsure when it was manufactured and didn't know which model it was. So I try my luck with you. Any ideas as to which model it is and which year it was produced? Attached are photos of the shotgun. I think it's a great gun, just spent the weekend at the shooting range and it handles great (had to adjust the stock with paper and tape though). Hope you can help. Kind regards from Norway

IMG_3498_zpsaifcccdd.jpg

IMG_3515_zpszan5ubyh.jpg

IMG_3501_zpso2ldx6qn.jpg

IMG_3521_zpspw3pvnp4.jpg

That looks a little like the "Charles Daly" (Venture) grade O/U Miroku from the late 1960's or early 1970s. They were very well made shotguns. Nice find. It was the entry level Miroku of the time, a real workhorse.

Back then, Miroku offered several grades, with the top one I believe being the Diamond Regent, with quality engraving, gold inlays and fancy wood.

Well, the previous owner said he bought it secondhand in the 70s. Although I never saw proof of this, I trust him. I can't believe there are many 89 year olds out there bothering to tell lies. Maybe I'm gullable...

Anyways, serial doesn't provide much info (to my knowledge at least) as it contains only one letter (M). Googling it doesn't help either. I'll provide more photos of the action.

Yup, and ties in with the date the previous owner suggested (ie used in the 1970s would imply it's of 60's/70's manufacture and the serial numbers dont talley with later ones issued by Browning, hence I reckoned it could be a Charles Daly Venture...quite similar looking to the 800).

I have had a 700 in the early 70s, looks very similar, choking is very odd if original. Most 800s were built as sporters or trap guns, big bulky fore ends and at least 1/4 + 3/4. NOt heard of this Charles Daly model but the link does look very similar.

The importers at that time were Parker Hale who have now I believe gone out of business so trying to trace the serial number through the manufacturer is about the only avenue. I hope you had better luck that I did when I bought a 3700HS blind and was pretty sure I ended up with an S model but could not proove it.

A

I got a Miroku ORE that has no numbers with the serial but the proof mark (If I rememeber correctly) is Birmingham 1971.

Thats if it was proofed at Birningham of course.

mmZzx5w.jpg

This thread here might help, scroll down and you can see some info on proof markings. http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/266541-help-identifying-an-old-bsa-shotgun/

Hope this helps.

Mick

I don't recognise where it was proofed from the "Christmas Pudding"-like proof mark but "SP" was often used to denote "Special Proof" for heavier loads, and underneath it confirms a chamber length of 70mm or 2 3/4 inches.

Mines got the exact same marking on it aswell according to uttings webby --> http://utting.org/site/miroku-m500-proof-marks/ this is for "SP in circle surmounted by ‘horns’ over NP = Japanese nitro proof"

But I also have the proof stamp, the crossed swords with the letters W and B(1971) from Birmingham on the side of the barrel by the ejectors as below.

Dmptyo1h.jpg

Mick

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have just read the forum and am interested in what has bee said. I have a Miroku 2800SW Skeet gun, serial number has no letters so I presume it will be 1975 or before. I have searched the internet to find more information about the gun with no joy. Some time ago one came up for sale in Australia or New Zealand but have not found any in the UK. Has anyone out there any information or who may have some.

Pete