Amateur Radio

All the gear but no idea

I done my foundation nearly 15 yrs ago . I was doing my DSC 2 when i was chatting to my instrutor and we got onto the subject of mobile phones and comms in general while in scotland and other areas where a decent phone signal is a no no . Anyway he said if he had his time angain he would use a HF radio . As in the event of a problem he could always get hold of someone . .. Well something along thise lines . Anyhow got me thinking and a few yrs later i done my test . And i bought a yeasu FT 817 and a cut copper wire for the 40m band as there is ALWAYS someone on there . Also used to enjoy running my little QRP station . Worked all over the world .. Well nearly haha

My basic trade in the army was a radio operator in the Royal Signals.

Always thinking about taking up the radio ham licence.

Never got round to it though.

Now I can phone Australia with the little black box in my shirt top pocket there doesn't seem to be much point.

Edited by Grandalf

We use PMR channels. Hear all sorts of people on them, construction workers, security guards. I doubt very much they are all licensed.

You don't need a license to transmit on PMR freqs but there is a 500 mW power limit, those Boafengs will be putting out twice that even in low power mode... :whistling:

Something I would really like to get into, I have read up on in the past but never known anyone to sort out questions ect.

I have just seen this on Ebay and I think it looks like a pretty good deal... (The chap did not choose a very good title, so perhaps gone unnoticed?)

Anyone in the know, is this any good?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221861530374&globalID=EBAY-GB

If it is, either what else would I need to get set up?

Or if someone on here in the know will now buy it! Can I in turn buy one off you if you'll help me get set up?

Many Thanks,

James

I'm a licensed ham with the call M0NKR, I'm very keen on the hobby and have invested quite a bit of money in the hobby. I enjoy various aspects of the hobby from working low power to using data modes. I'm a keen dxer and contester.

I have a station at home and also mobile.

Check my qrz page its fairly up to date.

I prefer radio to a phone lol, I still think it is magic to work another country or worldwide on a cheap radio and a piece of wire!

Maybe all the licensed ops on here could arrange a sked one eve and work each other on the bands.

There is a big ham radio event taking place called national ham fest being held at Newark show ground on 25th and 26th September who is going maybe we could meet up?

Bobby199, I would go for something a bit more modern, if you just want UHF/VHF then get something like a yaesu ft 7800 or 7900. If you want a shack in a box VHF/UHF and hf all in one then something like a icom 706 mk2g or yaesu ft857 or 897 would be good as first radios.

The ones you picked are fine if you know someone that can programme and test the radios as they are ex pmr/lmr radios and are dated.

Hope this helps

Edited by goldypurple

I nearly got into HAM a while back but had major beef with one of my neighbours who was an utter moany old **** and kept calling the council on my over my aerial for my CB homebase...
I told him to get ****ed and kept my cb aerial for a while as it was only a 7 meter stick mounted on the back of my garage which was mostly blocked by a row of taller confiers (tbh, the conifers were more offensive!) but in the end the council ordered me to take it down so I only really use my CB in vehicles now.

Shame as theres still a pretty healthy CB community around here.

Was great years ago though when me and my mates in the village were a lot younger we all used to love CB and were fascinated by it and we had springer aerials on the chimney pots and used to talk to each other in the evenings :)
When we got our first cars the first thing we did was stick CB's in them.

guess kids these days arent really fazed by such things when they have their new shiny xbox or playstations :no:

I done my foundation nearly 15 yrs ago . I was doing my DSC 2 when i was chatting to my instrutor and we got onto the subject of mobile phones and comms in general while in scotland and other areas where a decent phone signal is a no no . Anyway he said if he had his time angain he would use a HF radio . As in the event of a problem he could always get hold of someone . .. Well something along thise lines . Anyhow got me thinking and a few yrs later i done my test . And i bought a yeasu FT 817 and a cut copper wire for the 40m band as there is ALWAYS someone on there . Also used to enjoy running my little QRP station . Worked all over the world .. Well nearly haha

I also have an 817nd, they are a great little rig. 5w and a long wire....man so much fun when your calling out cq cq cq and then someone replies from another country....it's just amazing. Give's me a real buzz. I like to operate up high on mountain tops and on the beach. I do partially own a static caravan with a few other enthusiast and we are up around 900m over looking northern Ireland. It's quite the view. We can see 5 of the 6 counties from up there. I love to connect my 817nd 5watts to the MA5B beam and point to the the USA. With the gain on the antenna I'm talking into many states with 5watts. It's just incredible how it works.

Thanks very much to all who have commented. I had no idea it would get this response. Please feel free to share stories and if your new ask questions and maybe one day you could talk to someone on the other side of the world with your washing line :)

Noel

I'm a licensed ham with the call M0NKR, I'm very keen on the hobby and have invested quite a bit of money in the hobby. I enjoy various aspects of the hobby from working low power to using data modes. I'm a keen dxer and contester.

I have a station at home and also mobile.

Check my qrz page its fairly up to date.

I prefer radio to a phone lol, I still think it is magic to work another country or worldwide on a cheap radio and a piece of wire!

Maybe all the licensed ops on here could arrange a sked one eve and work each other on the bands.

There is a big ham radio event taking place called national ham fest being held at Newark show ground on 25th and 26th September who is going maybe we could meet up?

I just looked you up on qrz.com....wow you have a lovely set up going there mate :) I hope to work you at some point. Noel