Torch for Lamping? Filters or coloured LED's?

paul87

Hello everyone,

Haven't been on in quite a while and not been getting out as much as I'd like due to buying a house and all the fun stuff that goes along with it. Hope everyone is well and looking forward to the coming season.

I'm hoping you can help me with this, basically I'm looking for a decent LED torch for not too much money. It will be used mainly for air rifle and rimfire but extra range is never a bad thing. I don't know whether to go down the route of buying a high power white LED torch and filters or a torch and a couple of coloured LED's?

Look forward to hearing your replies.

Cheers

Paul

Paul,

IMO I would go red LED all the time. To keep prices down check out night scout !

Look at models such as: T38 (single or double battery) or T50 (single or double battery) and get the three mode.

http://www.nightscout.co.uk/t38-torches.html

There are other companys out there and they all come from China, but I have had excellent service from these guys which is why I recomend them.

ATB

Matt

Thanks for the replies so far guys. What sort of run time are you getting from a fully charged battery, in single mode? I have a few good quality 18650 batteries already.

Is it worthwhile getting other colours of LED's?

Edited by paul87

Is it worthwhile getting other colours of LED's?

Going by your intended use, I would say a red LED with a white one for extended ranges. The only reservation with that is I find that with the red on bare earth you get a red 'white out' effect which makes it difficult to see the target. I'm not familiar with all makes, but most throw a very tight beam which is not helpful. When adjustment is possible often it leaves the head loose which, again, is not helpful. I've found that adjusting the beam to your own preference and then installing an 'O' ring between the head and body locks things up nicely

I just started lamping at start of the year and asked a similar question; from a suggestion on here I bought a T50 kit with red bulb from Andy at Ludicrous Lumens and have not been disappointed. I use a white led torch for scanning and have my t50 clamped onto the scope of my hmr with sensor switch thing. From memory I paid about £50 for the kit and would recommend it. Cheers Crowdie