10 bore home loads

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot size effects kinetic energy per strike and size of these hole it's very relevant as too small a shot can't impart enough damage to kill sooner than big shot.

This is of vast importance with steel as unlike lead energy falls of a cliff within a given range window

The only time shot size don't matter is before the spread starts

Shot size effects kinetic energy per strike and size of these hole it's very relevant as too small a shot can't impart enough damage to kill sooner than big shot.

This is of vast importance with steel as unlike lead energy falls of a cliff within a given range window

The only time shot size don't matter is before the spread starts

Where on this planet do you get your info?

• 9 months later...

Just noticed this post I did last year, a wee update, I purchased a wad wizard choke and doing a bit of pattern testing yesterday, tried these shells , at 40 yd I was getting 164 pellets in 30" circle, out of 182' so it does go to show the after market chokes do help out a lot

The wad wizards are i feel the best of the wad retarding choke tubes, even the old patternmasters lost patterns above 1450fps the wad wizards are good to 1500fps which is about all a typical 10ga steel load does.

I shoot a lot with a mate who has a wad wizard, and you can get tighter density by slitting the wad three times rather than the generaly used four slits. this can tighten patterns in any given load or gun, and the wad wizard tubes are no exeption.

Could be worth a little exterimenting if you feel you need more range at any point.

For me i anyway i found the CSB0 ten load was better at 44x44 just lose a gram off the shot charge, with the RSI wads you acctualy gain worthwile velocity by this detail change, i feel the RSI wads have like a built in safety valve :lol: in that with 46 gram the load blows the gas seal off the base of the wad, where as at 44 gram its intact and in much better shape.

Just my opinion on this others may vary.

Above 44 gram with 44 grain of CSB0 with the rsi wads the wads tend look like this.

Picture004.jpg

Exactly as smiler says john, Sam 1s are RSI,, And In the old Charlton days CG 350 wads from claygame back in the day were to all intents and purposes Sam 1s Or RSI.

GAEP Sell them, and John morish has them some times i got my curent stock from him a couple of years ago.

Edited by TONY R

Has someone found some Alliant steel???

The rumour mill has it A 381 is going to show up some time this year. ???

I keep picking the odd tub or two up, but its not what you can call a steady supply, just odd tubs people dont need.

Im ok for at least five years but A381 needs buying as soon as its in.

There are other options out there but A steel and A381 etc are the only true option now CSB0 as gone.

I don't believe it's over pressure that separates the wad.

It's just as likely the choke doing the damage.

Especially if you use wad wizard type chokes.

Well you are not the first to say this, and thats why i pointed out it was my opinion and others may vary.

Why i think its over pressure is backing it down just two grains from the 46 grain stops this with CSB0, up it again it starts blowing off half yes just half everytrime off the gas seal lip. ???

I do know what you mean though about Wad wizards or ported chokes wrecking wads, ported chokes too, but the pettals themselves get ragged more than that wad, thats though a terror .720 or a .705 i have not used any other choke in the 10s for a few years now with steel.

Well you are not the first to say this, and thats why i pointed out it was my opinion and others may vary.

Why i think its over pressure is backing it down just two grains from the 46 grain stops this with CSB0, up it again it starts blowing off half yes just half everytrime off the gas seal lip. ???

I do know what you mean though about Wad wizards or ported chokes wrecking wads, ported chokes too, but the pettals themselves get ragged more than that wad, thats though a terror .720 or a .705 i have not used any other choke in the 10s for a few years now with steel.

I agree that 46 grains CSBO is quite a big powder charge ,considering I used to shoot 1 5/8 steel with 38 grains CSBO and that went 1350 fps and was stunningly effective .

I don't use Sam1 wads anymore , although cheap , I get better result with TPS and the quality is so much better .

I agree that 46 grains CSBO is quite a big powder charge ,considering I used to shoot 1 5/8 steel with 38 grains CSBO and that went 1350 fps and was stunningly effective .

I don't use Sam1 wads anymore , although cheap , I get better result with TPS and the quality is so much better .

TPS are good and i have had good results with them, i do use the RSI sam 1s the most though, its not so much the price its just i get the best results with them thats all, i used TPS wads in my old SP10 with a briley IM in it seemed to pattern best with them for some reason, but Recently i have just settled on the RSIs.

This is whats so interesting about shotgun reloading little detail changes can throw up different results in what seems an identical gun and load, i know my curent Browning gold Lite 28 inch with the .720 terror in far out performs three other Brownings two Golds steel actions and a BPS with the same tube or any tube for that matter, its a good 15% accross the board on pattern

density to the others i mentioned.

I found a couple of videos on youtube a few months ago, an american with a bps testing a few loads fastish loads they were, in what he called his magic BPS barrel, :lol: Which he felt was better than his other barrels off his other BPSs, i kind of know what he meant by that.

I think my Gold lites barrel with that .720 is a little like that too, i just cant see me ever selling this ten its a little special i think, and i have had a few to compare it with. :lol:

You never know what you have ungtill you pattern it and put the time in its that simple.