Shoot Day Hamper Suggestions

OJW

Hi,

I have put together a driven pheasant day for a group of friends who haven't shot before, the idea is to introduce them to shooting. I wish I could have paid for their day, but alas I'm not made of money and they have each paid for their own peg on the day.

As organiser I want to make the day as special as possible for them and want to put together a hamper to have between the drives. Lunch is included in the day so I don't need a full meals worth.

I'd welcome some suggestions for what you would like to see in a hamper on a shoot day. If possible I'd like to source the ingredients as cheaply as possible (there must be a cheaper place to buy Sloe Gin than the supermarket?) so if you know of a place I can get them at a good price please feel free to post a link.

Thanks PW foodies.

OJW

Edited by OJW

A bottle of sloe gin

A bottle or 2 of champagne/Prosecco

A bottle of port.

Make sure you have enough shot glasses and champagne flutes for everyone

A selection of finger buffet type nibbles (pork pie, sausage rolls sausage on a stick)

And maybe a selection of cheese.

Keep the food side simple and bite size. You are having lunch included with your day so don't want to be "full" when it is served.

Hope this helps

All the best

Sabs

In my experience, supermarket sloe gin has been horrible, chemical-ish stuff. As it takes a few months to do your own (starting from November when you harvest the sloes), I'd suggest buying very good quality.

In terms of nibbles, you'll always do well with a baguette, some good game pate, and cheeses. Keeps it really simple too !

Don't scrimp on the sloe gin

http://www.houseofbruar.com/search/?name=Sloe

Indeed. The house of bruar sloe gin is the work of God's :drool:

It may be expensive but you are not going to be going mad with the booze and I wouldn't expect you to go through the full bottles of gin and port. It is only a tot between drives and not a stag do remember.

The champagne doesn't have to be expensive and Prosecco is cheaper still (a couple of £6 tesco ones will do the trick).

If you do use a cheap sloe gin, buy a cheap Prosecco and put a shot of sloe gin in each flute you serve. It tastes great and looks good too.

Whatever you do, don't go over board with the booze. The shoot captain can refuse to let you shoot if he, or anyone else come to that, thinks that you're not in a fit state to shoot.

If he's about offer him a tot also.

The main thing is that everyone enjoys their day :good:

Where are you shooting if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by shoot and be safe

Hi, thanks for the advice. We are shooting at Kingscoat in West Sussex. Do you know the area?

I suppose the hooch is the most expensive part. Thanks for the link to House of Bruar, they also do hampers but some cost more than the price of a Peg!

They also do this Champaign, seems reasonably priced and it would look nice to have matching Sloe gin and champers - http://www.houseofbruar.com/brut-champagne-375cl/

I need to find out if we are shooting through or not, if we are having the meal at the end then I will need to supply more wine ect for it. If in the middle of the day then alcohol will be limited for obvious reasons.

Edit: Ah, just noticed the Champaign is only a small bottle.

Edited by OJW

The shot of Sloe Gin in the fizzy wine is a great thing and possibly not had before if your guys are new to shooting. Other than that a slice of home made game pie, sausage roll or pasty is always a winner.

I hope you all enjoy your day and good of you to put it all together. I think some of us know what a pain it can be, I have sorted 2 days shooting for 8 guns with a hotel stay in the middle, sounds easy but its like herding cats.

I have driven in that part of the country many years ago. Nice rolling countryside if I remember. The shoot sounds ideal for the day you are after and not overpriced :good:

Have a good day and don't forget to tip the keeper. I'll look forward to reading about your day :good:

ATB

Sabs

Thanks, hopefully I will be able to post a video of the day as well as I've just bought a GoPro for this season.

The shot of Sloe Gin in the fizzy wine is a great thing and possibly not had before if your guys are new to shooting. Other than that a slice of home made game pie, sausage roll or pasty is always a winner.

I hope you all enjoy your day and good of you to put it all together. I think some of us know what a pain it can be, I have sorted 2 days shooting for 8 guns with a hotel stay in the middle, sounds easy but its like herding cats.

Herding cats = Nail on the Head! I've made a Facebook group and thats made it easier. Also sorting transport out and some ,who are traveling down from the Midlands, want to go out in London after so I'm sorting all that as well. It will be worth it.

My biggest worry is that they won't listen to me when I explain we have a limited amount of birds and to pick them and that they will go and shoot the bag after a couple of drives.

My biggest worry is that they won't listen to me when I explain we have a limited amount of birds and to pick them and that they will go and shoot the bag after a couple of drives.

Tell them they are paying for each bird they shoot and to bring a significant amount of extra money to pay for the extras, this might be enough to put the wind up them :lol:

Explain that the bag is for the whole team for the day and include a rough calculation as a guide.

expected bag ÷ number of guns = their personal bag for the day ÷ number of drives (to give a rough idea of how many to shoot throughout the day). Some drives will be better for some than others, depending on how they are pegged.

That is a very rough calculation and some will shoot more and some less depending on their skill. You don't want to go over but on the other hand you don't want to be majorly under.

Let them get settled on the first drive as they will probably be overwhelmed by the amount of birds and miss, I know I did on my first driven day :blush:

If they shoot over their personal bag, introduced them to the world of overage :lol:

How experienced are they with shooting in general?

Another tip would be to mention to the shoot captain that you don't want any overage and to let you know when you are close to the bag, inquire about the bag during the day as part of general conversation.

If you get offered extra drives, ask where you are up to with the bag first. If you are close or over the expected bag, there is a strong possibility you will be charged for the extra birds you then go on to shoot.

Explain this to your team before the day so they are aware and don't think you are being mean on calling the day to a close early.

I'm sure you know all of the above already. I thought I'd share some of my experiences with driven days to give you a guide :good:

The main thing is for everyone to enjoy their day, you included. If their smiling you will smile a lot more in the knowledge that you brought it to their faces.

Hats off to you for organising the day :good:

ATB

Sabs

Tell them they are paying for each bird they shoot and to bring a significant amount of extra money to pay for the extras, this might be enough to put the wind up them :lol:

Explain that the bag is for the whole team for the day and include a rough calculation as a guide.

expected bag ÷ number of guns = their personal bag for the day ÷ number of drives (to give a rough idea of how many to shoot throughout the day). Some drives will be better for some than others, depending on how they are pegged.

That is a very rough calculation and some will shoot more and some less depending on their skill. You don't want to go over but on the other hand you don't want to be majorly under.

Let them get settled on the first drive as they will probably be overwhelmed by the amount of birds and miss, I know I did on my first driven day :blush:

If they shoot over their personal bag, introduced them to the world of overage :lol:

How experienced are they with shooting in general?

Another tip would be to mention to the shoot captain that you don't want any overage and to let you know when you are close to the bag, inquire about the bag during the day as part of general conversation.

If you get offered extra drives, ask where you are up to with the bag first. If you are close or over the expected bag, there is a strong possibility you will be charged for the extra birds you then go on to shoot.

Explain this to your team before the day so they are aware and don't think you are being mean on calling the day to a close early.

I'm sure you know all of the above already. I thought I'd share some of my experiences with driven days to give you a guide :good:

The main thing is for everyone to enjoy their day, you included. If their smiling you will smile a lot more in the knowledge that you brought it to their faces.

Hats off to you for organising the day :good:

ATB

Sabs

2 out of the 8 are experienced but have never shot down south, 4 haven't shot before (hired instructors and shotguns for them), one has only shot clays and then myself.

It's booked early in the season to make it easier for the green guns.

Perhaps a simulated day is a better way for novices to start their game shooting experience? Shooting and missing on an expensive game day will not be a happy experience if they don't shine or get nervous.

A simulated day has non-stop shooting, lots of action, fixed price and takes up as much - or as little - as the day as you want.

Food wise, pasties and Scotch eggs- anything that can be eaten one-handed. And small bottles of weak French beer. Feels like you're drinking, but you're not.

Edited by Flashman

If your planning to take them down to Bisley on the pay and play to get there eye in for the day,drop me a PM and if im available I will tag along :good: BB

BB, unfortunately Long Siberia require everyone shooting to have a SGC and insurance. It's a shame because it's the only place open 5 days a week where you can just turn up and shoot. If they relaxed their rules and let someone come with a SGC holder and shoot I would have take a few guests.

No need to tag along, just let me know when you fancy breaking a few and we will go down!

Perhaps a simulated day is a better way for novices to start their game shooting experience? Shooting and missing on an expensive game day will not be a happy experience if they don't shine or get nervous.

A simulated day has non-stop shooting, lots of action, fixed price and takes up as much - or as little - as the day as you want.

Food wise, pasties and Scotch eggs- anything that can be eaten one-handed. And small bottles of weak French beer. Feels like you're drinking, but you're not.

Perhaps, but I personally don't think simulated days have anywhere near the same allure. I don't knock sim days and they are a great experience, but the novices want to shoot game for the first time, take it home, pluck it and eat it. With an experienced instructor who will get them onto the birds they will be fine, especially as the topography where we are shooting isn't extreme, the birds are very well presented and the day is so early into the season.

I know the French beer you are referring to! Good shout.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are a couple of pics of the Hampers. I realised it's very easy to get carried away at them Waitrose Delicatessen counter and bought about 6 very large pork pies, 1 loaf of meat with an egg running through the middle that weighed a ton and was wrapped in pork pie pastry, 6 tartlets, quiche, a brick of game pate, 2 bottles of Sloe Gin, 2 bottles of Prosecco, crisps, bread, English Mustard, Shortbread, cheese, French Bread. I fed the beaters as well as the guns.

I realised I suffer from a condition I call "hamper fatigue" where my shooting vasty deteriorates inline with consumption of comestibles from the hamper.

IMG_3802_zps7sk7hxwp.jpg

IMG_3785_zpsgpirnc7z.jpg

IMG_3786_zpstmbzy4vm.jpg

Here is a link to a GoPro video I took of the day -

Edited by OJW