Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Velocette

UV paint on decoys ?

    Recommended Posts

    I just fancy touching up the white neck paint on a few decoys and wonder if its worthwhile adding a dab of UV reflective paint because some folk say that pigeons "see" UV . Any suggestions where to source some please ?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I did all mine last time I cleaned them,bought mine from eBay, very reasonable, I cant say one way or the other if it worked but its worth a try, all the 'experts' say they do see UV , even if it only brings in a few extra its worth it, it certainly has not put them off. :good::good:

    Edited by lakeside1000

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Not so sure it makes a difference, it doesn't with duck in my experience but if it gives you extra confidence

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I can't tell you if it makes a difference to how many birds are attracted to the decoys, but running with the theory that higher UV reflectivity makes things more visible to pigeons, here's an interesting comparison between the standard markings on flocked shells and how it looks with one neck patch painted with UV paint:

     

    post-74369-0-27755600-1441141369_thumb.jpg

     

     

    post-74369-0-23815700-1441141375_thumb.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I can't tell you if it makes a difference to how many birds are attracted to the decoys, but running with the theory that higher UV reflectivity makes things more visible to pigeons, here's an interesting comparison between the standard markings on flocked shells and how it looks with one neck patch painted.

     

    Please can you take one of a pigeon under uv at some point for comparison. Edited by BrowningB525

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I've got 34kg of dog food sat on top of my pigeon freezer at the moment (chest freezer) so when I get that shifted off I'll grab one for a comparison if you like. I'd take a guess that its white bits would be a little more visible under UV than a standard shell, but probably nowhere near as pronounced as the artificially painted one!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    That's quite a reflection you show there,,,would you paint the wing bars as well or is it just the neck band that's significant ?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Oh yes I painted the wing bars as well. I just took that photo before finishing the job, as a comparison. Looking at it logically, if it's white it needs to look the same as all the other white bits!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Out of interest, have you tried viewing your hide netting and shooting clothes under the UV as sometimes washing powders/chemicals can have a bit of the same reflective effect..?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I tart my deeks up with taster pots of white and black Bathroom/Kitchen emulsion. Mix the two and you can get any shade of grey you want. Cheap as chips and it does work.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 22:26, Jim Neal said:

    I've got 34kg of dog food sat on top of my pigeon freezer at the moment (chest freezer) so when I get that shifted off I'll grab one for a comparison if you like. I'd take a guess that its white bits would be a little more visible under UV than a standard shell, but probably nowhere near as pronounced as the artificially painted one!

    How's it going with the dog food? I'd be interested to see a real pigeon under UV light, if it glows then there is a good case for UV paint.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 31/08/2015 at 08:30, Velocette said:

    I just fancy touching up the white neck paint on a few decoys and wonder if its worthwhile adding a dab of UV reflective paint because some folk say that pigeons "see" UV . Any suggestions where to source some please ?

    No such thing as special "UV paint" or "UV reflecting paint". Any bright white paint will reflect UV and yes I do think it's worth doing.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    hello, there is a posting on here on the same subject, re painting decoys, and the color of paint with those trial pots, i wrote them down,    home base  Dulux night jewel grey/ maraschino mocha 2 matt /  and a pot of white. 

    Edited by oldypigeonpopper

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

    hello, there is a posting on here on the same subject, re painting decoys, and the color of paint with those trial pots, i wrote them down,    home base  Dulux night jewel grey/ maraschino mocha 2 matt /  and a pot of white. 

    But the pigeons are not that fussy, grey primer and a bottle of tippex for the neck bars, couldn't be much easier!

    20180526_074214.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    But the pigeons are not that fussy, grey primer and a bottle of tippex for the neck bars, couldn't be much easier!

    20180526_074214.jpg

    hello, being a tight **** thats what i used, bought from £ shop 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×