Sign in to follow this  
Velocette

UV paint on decoys ?

I just fancy touching up the white neck paint on a few decoys and wonder if its worthwhile adding a dab of UV reflective paint because some folk say that pigeons "see" UV . Any suggestions where to source some please ?

I did all mine last time I cleaned them,bought mine from eBay, very reasonable, I cant say one way or the other if it worked but its worth a try, all the 'experts' say they do see UV , even if it only brings in a few extra its worth it, it certainly has not put them off. :good::good:

Edited by lakeside1000

Not so sure it makes a difference, it doesn't with duck in my experience but if it gives you extra confidence

I can't tell you if it makes a difference to how many birds are attracted to the decoys, but running with the theory that higher UV reflectivity makes things more visible to pigeons, here's an interesting comparison between the standard markings on flocked shells and how it looks with one neck patch painted with UV paint:

post-74369-0-27755600-1441141369_thumb.jpg

post-74369-0-23815700-1441141375_thumb.jpg

I can't tell you if it makes a difference to how many birds are attracted to the decoys, but running with the theory that higher UV reflectivity makes things more visible to pigeons, here's an interesting comparison between the standard markings on flocked shells and how it looks with one neck patch painted.

Please can you take one of a pigeon under uv at some point for comparison. Edited by BrowningB525

I've got 34kg of dog food sat on top of my pigeon freezer at the moment (chest freezer) so when I get that shifted off I'll grab one for a comparison if you like. I'd take a guess that its white bits would be a little more visible under UV than a standard shell, but probably nowhere near as pronounced as the artificially painted one!

That's quite a reflection you show there,,,would you paint the wing bars as well or is it just the neck band that's significant ?

Oh yes I painted the wing bars as well. I just took that photo before finishing the job, as a comparison. Looking at it logically, if it's white it needs to look the same as all the other white bits!

Out of interest, have you tried viewing your hide netting and shooting clothes under the UV as sometimes washing powders/chemicals can have a bit of the same reflective effect..?

I tart my deeks up with taster pots of white and black Bathroom/Kitchen emulsion. Mix the two and you can get any shade of grey you want. Cheap as chips and it does work.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 22:26, Jim Neal said:

I've got 34kg of dog food sat on top of my pigeon freezer at the moment (chest freezer) so when I get that shifted off I'll grab one for a comparison if you like. I'd take a guess that its white bits would be a little more visible under UV than a standard shell, but probably nowhere near as pronounced as the artificially painted one!

How's it going with the dog food? I'd be interested to see a real pigeon under UV light, if it glows then there is a good case for UV paint.

On 31/08/2015 at 08:30, Velocette said:

I just fancy touching up the white neck paint on a few decoys and wonder if its worthwhile adding a dab of UV reflective paint because some folk say that pigeons "see" UV . Any suggestions where to source some please ?

No such thing as special "UV paint" or "UV reflecting paint". Any bright white paint will reflect UV and yes I do think it's worth doing.

hello, there is a posting on here on the same subject, re painting decoys, and the color of paint with those trial pots, i wrote them down,    home base  Dulux night jewel grey/ maraschino mocha 2 matt /  and a pot of white. 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there is a posting on here on the same subject, re painting decoys, and the color of paint with those trial pots, i wrote them down,    home base  Dulux night jewel grey/ maraschino mocha 2 matt /  and a pot of white. 

But the pigeons are not that fussy, grey primer and a bottle of tippex for the neck bars, couldn't be much easier!

20180526_074214.jpg

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But the pigeons are not that fussy, grey primer and a bottle of tippex for the neck bars, couldn't be much easier!

20180526_074214.jpg

hello, being a tight **** thats what i used, bought from £ shop